• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Guide to Getting HD's (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well at usyd all subjects will have the same weighting as of next year. i think first year would seem more difficult because ure only grasping the concepts.
im a first year, but im doing a senior subject (which also has more weighting). i am finding it easier than the introductory course to it in first semester.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Equal weighting in terms of credit points, stazi. Though the workload of many units may change, the difficulty and level of expectation will not.

Sorry, but there's nothing to be gained by suggesting that you are somehow aware as to what is coming your way merely because you have already studied a number of 6 credit point units at the 1000 level.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Every assessment counts. Even if it is worth only 1% you still do it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bscienceboi said:
Every assessment counts. Even if it is worth only 1% you still do it.
ummm...what? where the Jesus did that come from/

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Step 1: Analyse the question
Ok, so you get a sheet with the essay questions that you can choose from (or a prescriptive essay depending on the assessment mode). Make sure you look at EXACTLY what the essay question says.
with all respect stazi, but that's so fucking obvious and won't, by itself, get you an HD. it is more a prerequisite to a Pass.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
frigid, with all due respect, as I have indicated this is incomplete. the beginning step obviously needs to be an analysis of the question.
funnily enough, A LOT of people get this wrong. so many of my friends have complained about bad marks, when they have answered the question, but not specifically based on what it asks.
like with the question i showed, HEAPS of people wrote about the background to PML. The question didn't ask to show the debate whether or not it should be implemented. They got passes and credits for doing so, even if they redeemed themselves with an insightful essay.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
stazi said:
what do you mean by 'clever subtitile'
I mean that I like to give all my essays / assignments, a title, and a longer subtitle. i.e. Media Analysis: How the media blah blah, So you want a Revolution?: A critical analysis of the neo-liberal and marxist theories of law.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
ummm...what? where the Jesus did that come from/
Isnt this thread about trying to get HDs?

I find a lot of people skip out on assessments that are only weighted 1%. In the end it could mean the difference between a D and a HD.

:rolleyes:

gerhard

HSC
people can actually get hd with subheadings??

jesus

im pretty sure if you used subheadings in phil or psych youd be lucky to get over 60.

stamos

sellout
HSC
in law, subheadings are encouraged because they make things easier to read

i wouldn't be suprised if it was similarly the case in other courses

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
im pretty sure if you used subheadings in phil or psych youd be lucky to get over 60.
Well it would depend on your lecturers, but I think you'll find both phil and psych are the exception accross uni courses. In my opinion, subheadings make your essays more structured and don't take away from your work... so what's the problem?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Added: 1/11/05
This guide will hopefully help future students obtain those elusive HD's.
The cutoff for an HD is usually 85. Whilst in HSC terms this may not seem so difficult to attain, when you get to uni you will realise exactly how hard this is. In some subjects, even with 200+ people doing them, 0-2 students will achieve this high grade.
This guide is more for social science, business, humanities, arts etc related subjects and not for maths. It more details essays as a main assessment tool and will not provide extensive examination success strategies (as these are relatively common sense).
I will also provide attachments and excerpts from my own submissions to show the standard that is required in various facades.
I will not complete the whole guide yet, but will rather progressively add in parts when I have the time.
I will also brag about any high marks that I obtain making you feel as a homosexual at a wood-cutters convention. Actually, I take that back. Gay people love to cut wood. By wood i mean penis. And by penis I mean erection.

I will primarily refer to my FOundations of human resource management essay for this guide. Please also note that I didn't receive an HD for it (got 25/30 = 83.33%). I made one vital mistake which cheated me of that elusive mark, however the way I approached it is exactly what was needed to be done.

Step 1: Analyse the question
Ok, so you get a sheet with the essay questions that you can choose from (or a prescriptive essay depending on the assessment mode). Make sure you look at EXACTLY what the essay question says.
For example, in the HRM essay:
'Australia has to date not legislated for paid maternity leave, unlike most other countries. Assess who should take responsibility for paid maternity leave.
Explain the reasons for your response.'
So what is this question asking? It is already telling you that Australia has not legislated for paid maternity leave (PML). Thus, you do not need a historical background to the PML issue.
It's simply asking who should take responsibility for PML and to explain the reasons for this. How do you assess who should take responsibility? You do this by looking at different sources (which you will find in databases, which will be explained to you when you start uni) that assess who should ideally be responsible (Not who is currently responsible). So you document these approaches and will also obviously need to take a certain stanse for the essay (it's not good enough to say that writer A says govt should be responsible, B says employers should be responsible etc).

More to come...

Fuck this guide, just go ask rob (pwar)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The way you carry yourself in lectures and tutorials will also influence your marks
I agree again. If your lecturers believe you are a committed/hard working student, then they will be more likely to mark you highly.

05er

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I agree again. If your lecturers believe you are a committed/hard working student, then they will be more likely to mark you highly.
What if you have an azn-looking name; will they give you more marks for that?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
05er said:
What if you have an azn-looking name; will they give you more marks for that?
generally you get 2 bonus marks for the year. 5 if you're an international student

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)