• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Guide to Getting HD's (3 Viewers)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I dont think theres a real secret to getting HDs. Speaking from a science/maths perspective, to put yourself in contention to get HDs in first year units in this area (note: I'm not saying you will get ones if you do this, but you're at least giving yourself a chance):

1. Regular study helps throughout the semester. This doesnt mean you have to go study 3 hours a night for one unit right from the start of the semester, but just make sure you keep up and dont leave all the learning to the week before exams. I found this to be most important for concepts which i did not easily grasp in lectures or didnt understand at all, just go back and look over it and try understand, if not use the lecture consultation times, they are there for a reason.
2. Do tute questions, if not in tutorials, then at least do them at some stage. E.g. I usually do maths tutes the weekend after the tutorial
3. Do not choose advanced streams simply because you hear about the scaling. If you have the ability to excel, then by all means challenge yourself in a more difficulty stream, but don't choose it if you're thinking that a bare pass would be scaled up to credit/distinction. One must keep in mind HDs arent given out loosely. From a usyd perspective, technically speaking, only 3% at most are going to get HDs in a unit. This also means there can be less than that, like stazi said, sometimes no people get HDs.
4. In maths/science units, assessments (not including final exams) are often a giveaway for people who are truely in contention for HDs, so try to drop as little marks as possible in these, especially in maths.

I dont think there's any real secret, just keep it simple. Do the work often and you'll ge the best you possibly can out of it.

Note: the above probably all seems obvious, and that's good because thats how i wanted to sound :p

Last edited:

gman03

HSC
acmilan said:
3. Do not choose advanced streams simply because you hear about the scaling.
This is true, as one knows a few who did 1st year advanced streams maths course, got HDs and then failed 2nd year advanced course. However UNSW maths gives little or no HDs in ordinary course and only people who do higher has a chance.

This makes sense, as people in ordinary course are told what will be in the exam, whereas people in advanced stream are left in mystery.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
What counts in uni? Just final exams/half yearly exams?
Every assessment. In sciences finals often have a huge weighting though.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
acmilan said:
but don't choose it if you're thinking that a bare pass would be scaled up to credit/distinction.
In the case with maths, if there were no significant scaling, a very large number of people, perhaps even the majority, will fail, so in some cases that pass will scale to a credit or distinction.

Although in the case of COSC1901, I don't see how they could further scale us up. Everyone is so close to full marks that most of us will be getting HDs on raw alone.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Keeping up with the workload throughout the semester is also a good thing. Rushing to finish assignments and learn 14 weeks worth of work at the last moment probably won't get you HDs. As I know, from experience. :p

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Lundy said:
Keeping up with the workload throughout the semester is also a good thing. Rushing to finish assignments and learn 14 weeks worth of work at the last moment probably won't get you HDs. As I know, from experience. :p
Ah but then there is that weird 'lottery effect' where you can work your right royal behind off and only manage a pass/low credit and then you can not turn upto another subject at all during semester, and walk into the exam hall blind and still manage a HD.

It tends to happen in humanities subjects a bit. I managed to only turn upto 4/13 tutorials this semester and was granted 100% tutorial participation... explain that one.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ah but then there is that weird 'lottery effect' where you can work your right royal behind off and only manage a pass/low credit and then you can not turn upto another subject at all during semester, and walk into the exam hall blind and still manage a HD.

It tends to happen in humanities subjects a bit. I managed to only turn upto 4/13 tutorials this semester and was granted 100% tutorial participation... explain that one.
Definate lottery effect.

Personally I see HD's as a balancing mark... like if i fuck up and get a pass, I try my hardest to get a HD to recover from that mark.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Raiks said:

That's true. Humanities is a bit of a gamble but still, I've never managed a HD by fluke. A high D, yes, in a subject I knew f-all about.

But in most cases I have paid for my laziness.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well I'm a first year and i've been lazy for every single assessment, last semester i got hd/d/d/p , this semester i'm aiming for hd/d/c/c. Either my uni/subjects are easy, or it's just 1st year, or i am the king of the universe.

It seems although in 1st year, there is a huge focus on essay structure / referencing, where as I imagine in the later subjects those sort of things will simply be expected and there will be a greater focus on your content?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well I'm a first year and i've been lazy for every single assessment, last semester i got hd/d/d/p , this semester i'm aiming for hd/d/c/c. Either my uni/subjects are easy, or it's just 1st year, or i am the king of the universe.
University of Western Sydney.

Hi!

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Raiks said:

Ah yes. The randomness. You can work really hard at a subject and get a mid credit. You can work really really hard in one subject and get a really good mark. I think its unlikely that you will get a good mark without putting in any effort...courses are designed well enough that you cant do nothing and fluke a HD.

Also alot depends on the marker. Some teachers only like certain essay styles. For example today I got an essay back with a mark of 78%. Personally I think it lacked a line of argument. It was well written and researched but didn't really have a strong line of argument (the question didnt really call for it I guess). If it was marked by another person they may have given me 65% because it didn't bang home one argument. It was more of a discuss and blah blah essay.

In the past a teacher has given me a low credit because she felt the essay was was too broad even though it was well written and researched. The risk of writing too narrow is that you miss things and the teacher can get you for not covering what they wanted.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
05er said:
Can you REALLY get HD's by sleeping with markers?
makes sense.
one of my tutors really likes me. we get along extremely well.
I handed in a 20% tutorial report, which lacked a really major thing. she even wrote on it 'you were meant to comment on the online reading about unions for this!'
The mark I got was 20/20.

ND

HSC
05er said:
Can you REALLY get HD's by sleeping with markers?
Considering that you don't know who'll be marking your finals, i don't know how that's possible.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
finals arent everything. hell, my mktg2002 final is 25%.

ND

HSC
Weird, the lowest i've had was 70%. The high final weightings have saved my GPA.

edit: or made my GPA rather.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Highest final worth 90% (law). Lowest final worth 15% (arts).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)