Guide to selecting your HSC Courses (1 Viewer)

random boy

HSC
I agree with the whole advanced VS standard thing. But i really dont think that HSC is the end of the world....

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
I am considering doing:

Physics
Advanced English
Perhaps English Extension 1 (not sure of the difference)
Advanced Math
Perhaps Maths Extension 1 (its assumed knowledge for engineering at UNSW, I get around 75% marks and I'm not sure if I could do it)
Software Design and Development

Thats 6 definite units and a possible 8 (??)

I'm also considering in addition to the above:

Engineering Studies
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Economics
Modern History
Beginners Spanish (distance ed)

I want to do Computer Science at UNSW.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I am considering doing:

Physics
Advanced English
Perhaps English Extension 1 (not sure of the difference)
Advanced Math
Perhaps Maths Extension 1 (its assumed knowledge for engineering at UNSW, I get around 75% marks and I'm not sure if I could do it)
Software Design and Development

Thats 6 definite units and a possible 8 (??)

I'm also considering in addition to the above:

Engineering Studies
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Economics
Modern History
Beginners Spanish (distance ed)

I want to do Computer Science at UNSW.
English Extension 1 is basically an english course that introduces some more topics related to english, such as literature or philosophy. It is not an alternative to English advanced, just an extension. It is worth 1 unit.

Perhaps you should just give Maths extension 1 a go, and if you dont like it or arent doing to well, then just drop it. Although, having a better understanding of mathematics would definetly would help with computer science.

Ice Goddess

HSC
Re: Prelim Subject Selection Guide

wow... this year 10 student is impressed. wat a start to the site!

w8t4hope

HSC

im thinking of doing:
3U Maths
Ext1 English
Physics
Chemistry
SOR2

are they a good combination to get a high UAI (enough for med at UNSW :D)?
and also, year 12 friends tell me if im doing ext1 english, i may as well do ext2 in year 12. is this true?

Clank_

HSC

Firstly, any combination can receive a 'high' UAI (now known as ATAR).

Secondly, yes, if you do Extension 1 English in year 11, you're entitled to do Extension 2 English in year 12. The same applies to Maths. Also if you do Modern/Ancient History in year 11, you can to do Extension History in year 12.

w8t4hope

HSC

yes but wat i mean is that they told me ext1 english and ext2 english are not much different and that i may as well do it.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

yes but wat i mean is that they told me ext1 english and ext2 english are not much different and that i may as well do it.
english ext 2 has a very large major work.

w8t4hope

HSC

i see...
another question, if i did EXT2 for both maths and english, that would mean i would have 14 units, which is way too much workload, and i would have to make some alterations in my subjects - as i want only 12 units.
what sort of alteration would be most effective (e.g. drop physics; leave english as ext1 and drop religion to 1 unit; drop chemistry; or just go to a non-religious school for senior high etc. etc.)?

HSC
Great info :]
I've already posted this elsewhere, but there are probably more people in this thread who are in year 11/12 / finished high school.
Is there anyone who did/is doing CAFS and/or Society & Culture, which one do / did you find more interesting in terms of information, topics and assessments, or more interesting in general?

Thank you!

jameeeeeeeey

HSC
But what if it DOES help me with my Uni course that i want to do, but the subject is one that i HATE and cannnot understand. in this case it's Chemistry. I am stuck...no idea what to do.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
But what if it DOES help me with my Uni course that i want to do, but the subject is one that i HATE and cannnot understand. in this case it's Chemistry. I am stuck...no idea what to do.
If you seriously don't get / failing Chemistry, there is a large chance of failing you're preferred Uni course entirely. BTW what do you want to do at uni?

firstneg

HSC
yeah sorry for interrupting but subject selection is looming and im in trouble. the catholic school that I have been *shudder*weightlisted for because im ' not catholic' currently has my subject selection and I have to wait until september to get confirmation of my enrollment. so now im really apprehensive for what to put down for my current public school. any feedback on the choices?

Catholic School3U english 3U maths bio chem and 2U SoR
Public Schooladv.english mathematics bio chem modern and PE

the teachers at my school are so hopeless Im not going to bother doing the extensions but am i shooting myself in the foot by not doing them?

btw i want to go to usyd- bachelor of science(molecular biology and genetics) then onto grad med.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yeah sorry for interrupting but subject selection is looming and im in trouble. the catholic school that I have been *shudder*weightlisted for because im ' not catholic' currently has my subject selection and I have to wait until september to get confirmation of my enrollment. so now im really apprehensive for what to put down for my current public school. any feedback on the choices?

Catholic School3U english 3U maths bio chem and 2U SoR
Public Schooladv.english mathematics bio chem modern and PE

the teachers at my school are so hopeless Im not going to bother doing the extensions but am i shooting myself in the foot by not doing them?

btw i want to go to usyd- bachelor of science(molecular biology and genetics) then onto grad med.
I think they are good choices. I don't think you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing Extensions. if you're capable, then take them. don't let the crap teachers influence what you choose to take. It's your HSC and your life.:D

firstneg

HSC
I think they are good choices. I don't think you're shooting yourself in the foot by doing Extensions. if you're capable, then take them. don't let the crap teachers influence what you choose to take. It's your HSC and your life.:D
thanks for that, I just got my enrollment letter so i'm currently updating my signature to my 2010 subjects :haha:

ptrgrgry

HSC
I should have given so much more thought to my subject selection!
I hate them so much and I want them to die.

EshhardstyleZ

Premium Member
HSC
hey I have suddenly become really concerned about my choice of subjects!! Have I set myself up to fail?? I am suddenly tripping out because of the subjects I have chosen!!! Please help me I have chosen:

2math-general don't see any other option
2 ancient
2 business
2 PDHPE
1 RE
2 English adv
2 Woodwork

I am thinking of changing woodwork.. I'm like stressing out because others view timber as a bludge subject.. my older siblings have got UAI's of 99.95 and 98.9.. I have no pressure by my parents to achieve such results but I am aiming for at least band 6 in all subjects.. is this possible!!! ARRGH help

hyperr

HSC
I need help choosing courses for year 11!
The career adviser at my school said I could choose any subject because I have the ability to do any, but it's so hard.
She gave me a list of subjects, which add up to 23 units but I can only choose 13. Which ones scale good? I don't really know about the process.
Here's the list:
3 English
3 Maths
2 PDHPE
1 SoR
2 Modern History
2 Ancient History
2 Economics
2 Legal studies
2 French
2 D.T
2 Physics/Chem/Bio

annagurl

HSC
N/A
I need help choosing courses for year 11!
The career adviser at my school said I could choose any subject because I have the ability to do any, but it's so hard.
She gave me a list of subjects, which add up to 23 units but I can only choose 13. Which ones scale good? I don't really know about the process.
Here's the list:
3 English
3 Maths
2 PDHPE
1 SoR
2 Modern History
2 Ancient History
2 Economics
2 Legal studies
2 French
2 D.T
2 Physics/Chem/Bio
Do the subjects that you think you will enjoy and that you're good at. Don't worry too much about scaling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)