Guide to selecting your HSC Courses (1 Viewer)

Ton5698

HSC
Um hi there!
im a yr 10 student and will be soon choosing my electives for next yr-year 11.
i currently have no defined idea of what i will be doing and the subjects that are offered.
Could someone possibly give me a list of subjects that are/were available for them when they had to choose their subjects?
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Simplice

rainbow burrito
HSC
Um hi there!
im a yr 10 student and will be soon choosing my electives for next yr-year 11.
i currently have no defined idea of what i will be doing and the subjects that are offered.
Could someone possibly give me a list of subjects that are/were available for them when they had to choose their subjects?
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
^ PM'ed. :)

akkatracker

HSC
Just like to say thanks for this OP!
Am in yr 10 now and have a vague idea of what to do :) (i had no idea before)

tofusenpai

HSC
Hi I wanted to ask whether I should take Modern, Ancient or Extension History. So far these are the subjects I know I'm taking next year:

3U English
2U Maths (maybe general if i find 2U hard)
Society and Culture
Visual Arts

I'm not sure if I'm going to take any Sciences but I was considering bio or earth and enviro. I plan on working in the media, arts, literature field like journalism so are there any subjects you'd recommend?

Last edited:

blackbird_14

HSC
Hi I wanted to ask whether I should take Modern, Ancient or Extension History. So far these are the subjects I know I'm taking next year:

3U English
2U Maths (maybe general if i find 2U hard)
Society and English
Visual Arts

I'm not sure if I'm going to take any Sciences but I was considering bio or earth and enviro. I plan on working in the media, arts, literature field like journalism so are there any subjects you'd recommend?
FYI: It's Society and Culture not Society and English ;)

I think SAC is a great choice for a career in journalism- i think there may be a unit about media, but i don't do it so i don't remember.

You can only do Extension History in Year 12, but you have to be doing Modern or Ancient History in order to take it up. Perhaps Modern History would be better for a career in journalism- but i'd choose whichever interests you more.

Earth and Environmental Science (EES) is a lot like Biology, one of my friends does it, and she says that the content overlaps with the bio course a lot. I don't know what the main difference between the two courses are- perhaps one is more about the environment, and the other about the organism? Dunno! :D

tofusenpai

HSC
FYI: It's Society and Culture not Society and English ;)

I think SAC is a great choice for a career in journalism- i think there may be a unit about media, but i don't do it so i don't remember.

You can only do Extension History in Year 12, but you have to be doing Modern or Ancient History in order to take it up. Perhaps Modern History would be better for a career in journalism- but i'd choose whichever interests you more.

Earth and Environmental Science (EES) is a lot like Biology, one of my friends does it, and she says that the content overlaps with the bio course a lot. I don't know what the main difference between the two courses are- perhaps one is more about the environment, and the other about the organism? Dunno! :D
Yep that's what I meant lol I was typing kinda fast haha thanks for correcting me. Would it be too much if I took

3U English
2U Maths
2U Society and Culture
2U Visual Arts
2U Design and Tech
2U Ancient or Modern History

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep that's what I meant lol I was typing kinda fast haha thanks for correcting me. Would it be too much if I took

3U English
2U Maths
2U Society and Culture
2U Visual Arts
2U Design and Tech
2U Ancient or Modern History

Honestly 3 major works will be very stressful ..
Hows your time management skills?

tofusenpai

HSC
Honestly 3 major works will be very stressful ..
Hows your time management skills?
It depends... what do you mean stressful like can you give an example. Also I don't know what to take off from those subjects my least fav is definitely maths but I want at least a background of it

blackbird_14

HSC
is all 3 sciences too much work?
If you love science it won't be. But if you do take 3 sciences be prepared for a) ALOT of science and b) your assessements to fall at relatively the same time.

blackbird_14

HSC
It depends... what do you mean stressful like can you give an example. Also I don't know what to take off from those subjects my least fav is definitely maths but I want at least a background of it
If you've got 3 projects due at the same time, and all three of your teachers expect that you will progress on each project a little each week, you need to manage your time wisely in order for all three projects to be finished at around the same time.

Let's say for example, you have a design tech project due on Next Monday, and you need to finish writing your portfolio and construction of a lamp. You also have your visual arts major body of work due on Monday and you need to finish typing a report, and a draft of your report for your PIP is due on Tuesday. On top of that, you have an Histoy and English essay due on Wednesday, and a Maths test on Wedneday too.
Would you be able to cope? Would you be able to manage your time so that on Sunday evening you aren't planning to stay up till 5am trying to finish all these projects? Think wisely, and really ask yourself if you are up to it.
Perhaps try those subjects containing projects in year 11, because more likely than not, they'll have a similar assessment task to that in year 12. Thats way you'll have a more informed view word what you might be getting yourself into.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you've got 3 projects due at the same time, and all three of your teachers expect that you will progress on each project a little each week, you need to manage your time wisely in order for all three projects to be finished at around the same time.

Let's say for example, you have a design tech project due on Next Monday, and you need to finish writing your portfolio and construction of a lamp. You also have your visual arts major body of work due on Monday and you need to finish typing a report, and a draft of your report for your PIP is due on Tuesday. On top of that, you have an Histoy and English essay due on Wednesday, and a Maths test on Wedneday too.
Would you be able to cope? Would you be able to manage your time so that on Sunday evening you aren't planning to stay up till 5am trying to finish all these projects? Think wisely, and really ask yourself if you are up to it.
Perhaps try those subjects containing projects in year 11, because more likely than not, they'll have a similar assessment task to that in year 12. Thats way you'll have a more informed view word what you might be getting yourself into.
People still stayed up till 5am with 2 major works when they weren't due near each other too..

tofusenpai

HSC

Thinking about this makes me worried I don't think I'll be able to but I don't know what subject to drop from VA, DNT or Society and Culture

blackbird_14

HSC
Thinking about this makes me worried I don't think I'll be able to but I don't know what subject to drop from VA, DNT or Society and Culture
Up to you, don't you have till Term 3 to decide anyway? Even so you can still change your subjects until the end of year 10! Perhaps ask your teachers about what each course is like, or ask other students in your school. It is a worst case scenario up there, but its possible! :D

tofusenpai

HSC
Up to you, don't you have till Term 3 to decide anyway? Even so you can still change your subjects until the end of year 10! Perhaps ask your teachers about what each course is like, or ask other students in your school. It is a worst case scenario up there, but its possible! :D
Thanks I will. I'm just trying tp pick my subjects now haha

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
If you love science it won't be. But if you do take 3 sciences be prepared for a) ALOT of science and b) your assessements to fall at relatively the same time.
In a ratio to my subjects..maths 3u, bio,chem,physics, eng adv, legal how much time will all sciences take?

blackbird_14

HSC
In a ratio to my subjects..maths 3u, bio,chem,physics, eng adv, legal how much time will all sciences take?
If you get the science, it won't take too much time to absorb and learn the knowledge thrown at you. However, the exams for sciences tend to fall around the same time, for example this term we had a bio test on Monday, a physics test on Wednesday, and a chem test on Thursday. Don't underestimate English Adv., it's seriously the subject were i spend the most time on, usually writing essays. #thelifeofanenglishstudent

blackbird_14

HSC
Thanks I will. I'm just trying tp pick my subjects now haha
I must have switched the subjects that i wanted to do in Year 11 like 10 times before settling on what i know do. Keep your mind open, and who knows maybe a course will come flying to your head that just works for you :D :p Gosh im such an optimist.

tofusenpai

HSC
I must have switched the subjects that i wanted to do in Year 11 like 10 times before settling on what i know do. Keep your mind open, and who knows maybe a course will come flying to your head that just works for you :D [emoji14] Gosh im such an optimist.
Haha thanks ^-^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)