Guitarists that can play AND sing at the same time (1 Viewer)

Red 23

HSC
N/A
Ok, who do you think are some of the most talented guitarists who can play guitar AND sing at the same time?

People always talk about Hendrix, Clapton, and Stevie Ray Vaughn et al being great guitarists--which they are--but people often overlook the fact that they often played complex guitar parts as they were singing!

Red 23

HSC
N/A
les claypool (ok, he's a bassist, but still impressive)
james hetfield
george benson
leroy "sugarfoot" bonner (Ohio Players)
donald "buck dharma" Roeser (Blue Oyster Cult)

Red 23

HSC
N/A
not a big fan of his voice, but i've seen geddy lee from Rush pop and slap his bass with one hand and play a keyboard with the other all whilst singing!

spiny norman

HSC
Red 23 said:
but to do it well?
Given Hendrix, especially, and many of the others you've mentioned are not particularly good singers, I think you need to rethink your list.

Really, the most talented with both at the same time is Prince. The man is a god.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i was gonna say him^^

but i can play guitar. but i cant sing an play at same time.
1. because i cant sing for shit
2. i am a retard

iwannarock

HSC
bowman said:
i was gonna say him^^

but i can play guitar. but i cant sing an play at same time.
1. because i cant sing for shit
2. i am a retard
yeah same here. easy stuff i can play and sing, but complex riffs, like come as you are. thats a bitch to sing and play. but there's no point in me learning to do it since i can't sing like at all.

strumming songs and singing is ok as long as the strumming pattern isn't too complex. the problem is that most vocal lines usually begin on the off beats, while guitar parts begin on the 1 if you get what i mean so its hard to coordinate both.

the guitarist from necrophragist is pretty much a freak. he plays the most complex riffs ever (so complex that they are rather unmusical) and sings over the top of them. crazy.

bassqueen16

HSC
i would have to say billy joe armstrong from greenday, hes a god :p And he's also been doin it for a while too but very talented ;)

wanton-wonton

HSC
Red 23 said:
Ok, who do you think are some of the most talented guitarists who can play guitar AND sing at the same time?

People always talk about Hendrix, Clapton, and Stevie Ray Vaughn et al being great guitarists--which they are--but people often overlook the fact that they often played complex guitar parts as they were singing!
Umm, I think it is pretty OBVIOUS.

Mr. Hetfield?!?!?!?!??!?!

Red 23

HSC
N/A
Clapton, SRV, Hendrix, et al were just examples to get the ball rolling, not personally a huge fan of any the 3 but I respect their respective talents.

I'd agree that playing/singing simultaneously is indeed a learned skill that comes through hard work and dedication but it's also something else, something undefinable that separates the greats from the very goods.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
Komaticom said:
As mentioned numerously, playing and singing is not that hard. Once you play "complex" compositions enough times to memorise it, singing can just be slapped on.

Had this thread been about trumpet players playing AND singing at the same time, I'd get excited.

Right now, I say "meh" while fingerpicking the Tristram song from Diablo 1, which is debatably complex.

WOAH everyone step back
i think we have a musical genious on our hands

look out for this guy, he seems like a keeper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)