• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Habib on 60 Minutes (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well they don't have a very good track record, some dude they let go ended up in a tape where some guys had captured some chinese workers in pakistan....

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Jonathan A said:
All the more reason to present evidence to clear his name on national television, wouldn't you say?

The man is shifty because it seems he is hiding something. ASIO don't go chasing people who are not involved in terrorism, they must be chasing someone for a reason, all law enforcements resppond to suspicion.
yes they do..
we have family friends who have been chased
and ..they have done nothing..poor ppl
like this one guy who was gonna marry my sister but he went somewhere and didnt come back for a while
turns out asio was on his back
they took away his plane license and all this shit from him coz he was a suspected terrorist
and all he wanted to do was become a pilot etc
and i know other ppl..but too many stories
and i can guarantee they are so not terrorists

= Jennifer =

HSC
Jonathan A said:
Everytime someone is suspected of terrorism, Hopper is always defending them. It can't just be a coincidence that this lawyer from Bankstown is every terrorism suspect's family lawyer.

is he from Bankstown? interesting

i watched that Habib thing on 60 minutes waste of my time, IMO for the amount they paid him the whole 60 minutes should have been filled with him

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Where do people stand on chequebook journalism?

Is the "truth" something that can be bought like a commodity?

Riewe

HSC
I just read in the paper today what his answers were, as it would a waste of time watching it. The questions he didn't answer are the ones that we would most like to know. Also his answers to why he was in pakistan and afghanistan was almost farcical. He wanted to leave australia then, with his family, and now he wants compensation from a country he didn't like and wanted to flee from. And if he wanted to leave this country so muc, why did he want to come back?

sly fly

HSC
i think he's innocent.....ive actually met his wife, she's amazing, she's heaps nice and but anyway as for him, i havent met him but im assuming he's nice coz his family is. He's probly innocent coz if he wasnt it wouldnt have taken them 3years to try and find a charge on him (which they didnt anyway)

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Riewe said:
I just read in the paper today what his answers were, as it would a waste of time watching it. The questions he didn't answer are the ones that we would most like to know. Also his answers to why he was in pakistan and afghanistan was almost farcical. He wanted to leave australia then, with his family, and now he wants compensation from a country he didn't like and wanted to flee from. And if he wanted to leave this country so muc, why did he want to come back?
wats it to you....he wanted to leave the country but hes still an australian citizen and according to him an australian official watched as he was tortured. if hes telling the truth then its his right to sue.

ZabZu

HSC
Riewe said:
Hes going to say why he was on Afghanistan when he sues the government. He wanted to leave Australia because ASIO was on his back. I think ASIO were suspicious of him because he appealed that some extremist cleric should get better treatment because the cleric had a disability (diabities or something).

Does anyone know how many times Habib travelled to the Pakistan/Afghanistan region?

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
berghousemaa said:
In his defence, ACA, TT and 60 minutes are highly sensationalist at times to the point of being reckless.
Yes, but in NTB's defense; truly socially literate people are able to disseminate between what is a representation of fact, what is someone's opinion, and what is a whole bunch of bullshit developed for shock value, ratings and scare tactics.

berghousemaa

HSC
Yeah but every week they seem to have a checklist of reports.
Are our children safe.
Tradesmen ripping off Aussie battlers.
Government screw up destroying some Aussie battler.
"insert vegetable", could it be killing you and your family.

With this type of programming it is no wonder Asquithian has been turned off by the current affairs programs, regardless of the fact that they occasionally do represent decent journalistic skills.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
ZabZu said:
Does anyone know how many times Habib travelled to the Pakistan/Afghanistan region?
Just beacuse he went to the region doesn;t make him a terrorist.
Personally, I think if he was guilty, or any real threat the US would a) have found some kind of eveidence to charge him with or b) created some evidence.
The fact that they had 3 years and found nothing argues fairly strongly for his inocence

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think that's today tonight actually....
But like, it's still an important story... there are alot of teenagers who go around just causing havok after parties n shit ALL THE TIME, like a regular friday night thing.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Bec, they weren't investigating HIM non-stop for the whole 3 years... Think about how long murderers have been suspects by police before they're finally caught...

Also, one guy that was one of the first to be released ended up in a tape kidnapping some chinese workers..

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Yeh, its absolutely important. Right up there with-Which detergent is right for you?. Exploding ovens-we have the lowdown.

Habib looks like a dead man. You know even if he was a terrorist, no1 deserves to be treated that way. There is such a thing called Human rights. Or is that just something arbitarily applied. Ppl always respond to stuff like Saudi Arabia/Afghanistan don't follow any human rightsdidn't follow any human rights. Well thats not the point is it. The point is, if you stoop to the same level, how are you any different. Arean't we supposed to be espousing values of freedom and democracy anyway.

Fuck the world for all this shit happening.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
wtf? it looks like he was treated humainly to me, i mean he was in a gaol tho and they're not fun for anyone.

Sweets, what would YOU have done with a suspicious person travelling around afghanistan with a story like his?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Well if you think he was treated humanly he must have been.

Suspicious person travelling around Afgahnistan, yeh just lock him right up. Next time I see a suspicious looking person walking on the street i'll just lock him up too. Needless to say Guantanamo Bay would not be my answer. To a certain and I am going out on a total limb here, if Habib didn't have any Anti-American sentiment before he went in, he very well might well now. I mean doesn't this just prove all those bogus conspiricy theories true?

pete87

HSC
maybe people should consider that if the US hadnt locked him up for 3 years then he wouldnt even be on 60 minutes telling his story, whether or not ppl think its total lies.

whether he's lying or not, he still deserves to get his voice heard and again if the US hadnt undemocratically imprisoned him for years then none of this wouldve happened

i wouldnt be surprised if ASIO is still following him now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)