Hamlet :) (1 Viewer)

esraa

HSC
This has probably been discussed a million times but if I was to do an essay on Hamlet related to its textual integrity, value etc. related to modern society... which themes would i include?

I have; Appearance vs reality, death, revenge and corruption

Should I say that; Appearance vs reality and revenge (inability to take action due to morality) are related to modern society whereas corruption and death are more Hamlet times?

Thankyou

chels777

HSC
well all the themes in hamlet are very universal so make sure you talk about how each one transcends time and relates to the whole of humanity you should try and link all of these themes with a holistic thesis its probably best for hamlet to not plan the themes you are going to use because it might ask you to focus on certain ones e.g. struggle and disillusionment if u feel u need to pre plan an essay make sure its easily adaptable

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Corruption and death are still highly relevant themes. Less important things in the text are royal hierarchy, regicide, religious sin etc.

esraa

HSC
well all the themes in hamlet are very universal so make sure you talk about how each one transcends time and relates to the whole of humanity you should try and link all of these themes with a holistic thesis its probably best for hamlet to not plan the themes you are going to use because it might ask you to focus on certain ones e.g. struggle and disillusionment if u feel u need to pre plan an essay make sure its easily adaptable
Yeh true but like e.g. struggle ---> you could talk about appearance versus reality making it hard for Hamlet to find the truth about his deceased father, you could also talk about death and how Hamlet is obsessed and overcome with thoughts of death showing how he is struggling to survive the CORRUPT society.

So basically the themes can be adjusted to the specific ones in the question? Or did i just mess them all up lol

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeh true but like e.g. struggle ---> you could talk about appearance versus reality making it hard for Hamlet to find the truth about his deceased father, you could also talk about death and how Hamlet is obsessed and overcome with thoughts of death showing how he is struggling to survive the CORRUPT society.

So basically the themes can be adjusted to the specific ones in the question? Or did i just mess them all up lol
In a 'related to modern times' type question, you never really need to specify things that were only relevant to Hamlet's time. You just need to be able to draw similarities between then and now. If you can do that, you should be fine.

chels777

HSC

yeh they can just make sure u are able to do that with ur themes and make sure u answer the question thats the most important thing otherwise it will read prepared

HSC
i would suggest including themes such as the relationship between claudius and katarina. ALSO, DO NOT FORGET to use the quote 'to be or not to be' its really important that you use this quote!! cos it is a big quote in the play and the markers like seeing stuff they recognise

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
i would suggest including themes such as the relationship between claudius and katarina. ALSO, DO NOT FORGET to use the quote 'to be or not to be' its really important that you use this quote!! cos it is a big quote in the play and the markers like seeing stuff they recognise
This is pretty ridiculous. You don't need to use 'to be or not to be' for this. In fact, it may be worth avoiding in some respects (if you can find better examples), just because so many students do use it.

HSC
This is pretty ridiculous. You don't need to use 'to be or not to be' for this. In fact, it may be worth avoiding in some respects (if you can find better examples), just because so many students do use it.
no i feel it is important to use the quote because it encompasses so many themes and textual concerns. through it you can link it to the psycho-analytical transformation of hamlet, feminism and politics. and also remember to look for rhyming words, these are point gainers

_deloso

HSC
this guy is trolling like there's no tomorrow. who the fuck is katarina?

yours

HSC
In fact, it may be worth avoiding in some respects (if you can find better examples), just because so many students do use it.
I like this point. I did notice in our markers' feedback (I don't know if other schools get marker feedback sheets for each module after the trial but we do) that they made some sarcastic comments about certain lines that everyone used, and 'to be or not to be' was one of them. Nonetheless, I think it's a very important soliloquy and chances are you can't avoid using that quote because it's the name of the soliloquy. It seems to take up extra time to have to write it out as a quote and not do any analysis of it, though I think the trap might be analysing the title of the soliloquy and leaving it at that. I think it'll be OK if you analyse 2 more quotes from the soliloquy. Then your analysis isn't so cursory. The 'to be or not to be' soliloquy is important in charting Hamlet's evolution, as you can compare it to 'o that this too too solid flesh would melt' regarding his perspective on suicide and mortality. Then link to gravedigger scene. Then hey-presto you have a solid paragraph on mortality that CHARTS HIS EVOLUTION (this is important!).

this guy is trolling like there's no tomorrow. who the fuck is katarina?
I think she means Gertrude?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)