Handwritten or printed-out notes? (1 Viewer)

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Having my notes as an editable document is advantageous for me because not only I am lazy (need more time to sleep) but also it allows it to be refined over the hsc year b4 I print it out as 'perfect' notes. Additionally, I could be revising (absolutely not just relying on my notes) when I am perfecting my notes over the year :) on the other hand, I believe hand written notes are better than typed notes as it you retend more of the stuff but it may become hard when it comes to editing.. and overall it takes more time so.. I would say typed notes for lazy people and possibly neatness? :]

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Furthermore, keeping digital notes is far more efficient in regards to note-taking during class if your typing speed is faster than writing (which I assume would be the case for most). This will help you keep up and avoid losing track during the lesson which can really be troublesome as you could fall off the flow of teaching.

xPhenoms

HSC
Me too, i find this the best and easiest way to look back and rather than having to look through all of the crap, i can just see all the important stuff right there

Kaido

be.
HSC
m9. go to school, print the whole friggin internet = worth
#hobolife

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
m9. go to school, print the whole friggin internet = worth
#hobolife
I actually feel like asking my teacher to print out the notes for me, it's too much ink if I print them out myself...

HSC
Having narrow margins and two pages per sheet side, maybe double-sided printing, minimises the paper usage by half. The library/ officeworks is also a great place to print

astab

HSC
N/A
There are a few disadvantages and advantages to each:

Hand-writing - is a really good option because you retain more information and improve the fluency with which information lis transferred from your brain to paper - some people know the content back to front but are slow writers or have many thoughts rushing through their mind that they can't logically organise on to paper. Thus, handwriting ultimately prepares you for the arduous and challenging handwritten component in the HSC.

However, typing your notes can actually lead to better marks (which is why I type) because:

1. Writing takes a long time and when you need to make notes for 3-4 subjects, you want to save as much time as possible while loading your notes with content. I hand wrote my notes last year and the amount of information I summarized in 1 hour was virtually nothing to when I type. So typing saves you more time and lets you cover more ground.

2. Typing is less messy. In fact, you can colour code your notes, use tables, format your information in fancy ways and add diagrams. Studies have shown that all these things can boost memory retention, making learning more enjoyable and ultimately increasing your marks!

So in short, I prefer typing!

HSC
with so much technology & programs being created, typed and handwritten can be stored in one place
I have 1 or 2 subjects that I type up and print, the rest handwritten. However my handwritten can also be scanned and stored as a pdf where I can annotate and look at on my laptop, tablet, etc

So handwritten can also be accessed elsewhere not only the hard copy

astab

HSC
N/A
True that!

But how long does it take to scan notes for your subjects? In saying that it is probably better to scan your notes - my handwritten notes started to tear and I even got one set of notes wet. Not the best thing 2 weeks before a trial/HSC exam.

HSC
True that!

But how long does it take to scan notes for your subjects? In saying that it is probably better to scan your notes - my handwritten notes started to tear and I even got one set of notes wet. Not the best thing 2 weeks before a trial/HSC exam.
Yeah I'm also afraid I might misplace mine so I need a retrieval place. Scanning me for is 10 pages per minute because all I need to do is press scan and save as. Then after you have all the files, select all, right click and select convert to acrobat file. Then it's a pdf

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Okay, I've decided to print out Ahmad Shah's notes and relying on them rather than summarizing his notes and my teacher's notes all into one, is that better?

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Okay, I've decided to print out Ahmad Shah's notes and relying on them rather than summarizing his notes and my teacher's notes all into one, is that better?
Aren't his notes a bit old? If so they might be outdated and what you're learning and will be tested on comes from your teacher, not Ahmad Shah, so it would be wise not to neglect your teacher's material.

astab

HSC
N/A
@BlueGas - yeah it's better to do that. I wasted so much time typing up my own notes, particularly because I tell myself to "push through" and summarise one more chapter when I'm tired and don't summarise it well. So yeah use Ahmad's notes as a base and be sure to add more information to it as the year progresses. You should also consider making notes off notes. What I mean is using Ahmad's notes and your information and them summarising those notes again, getting rid of any irrelevant stuff and making each point more significant. That way you're engaging with the notes and tailoring the format and layout to your learning style (unless you find Ahmad's notes an "easy read") good luck.

astab

HSC
N/A
@snowflakeptical - I didn't know scanners were that quick haha. Well if it works for you, keep at it.

I don't know if you do any subjects that require diagrams, but how do you integrate diagrams into your notes? Do you hand draw them in, or print an image and paste it in?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Aren't his notes a bit old? If so they might be outdated and what you're learning and will be tested on comes from your teacher, not Ahmad Shah, so it would be wise not to neglect your teacher's material.
How could you tell their old? On the resources page it says 2013, doesn't that mean the year it was created or it means something different? I'm talking about the revised, edited, perfected notes, does that matter?

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
How could you tell their old? On the resources page it says 2013, doesn't that mean the year it was created or it means something different? I'm talking about the revised, edited, perfected notes, does that matter?
He mentioned that those were his 2010 HSC notes, so I'm assuming there could have been some changes to the syllabus or something else, but of course I might be wrong. All I'm saying is although his notes may be comprehensive and of a high standard, it would be good to still pay attention to the teacher to confirm and edit your notes as the year progresses where you feel necessary rather than wholly relying on Ahmad's notes, basically what astab mentioned about three posts earlier.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
He mentioned that those were his 2010 HSC notes, so I'm assuming there could have been some changes to the syllabus or something else, but of course I might be wrong. All I'm saying is although his notes may be comprehensive and of a high standard, it would be good to still pay attention to the teacher to confirm and edit your notes as the year progresses where you feel necessary rather than wholly relying on Ahmad's notes, basically what astab mentioned about three posts earlier.
I think the notes I'm talking about are on this page, is Ahmad Shah's 2010 notes any different to the notes on this thread? Ahmad Shah Style-Based Notes, Revised, Edited, Perfected.

HSC
@snowflakeptical - I didn't know scanners were that quick haha. Well if it works for you, keep at it.

I don't know if you do any subjects that require diagrams, but how do you integrate diagrams into your notes? Do you hand draw them in, or print an image and paste it in?
yeah they are pretty quick, way faster than actual printing
if it's for science, I draw/ trace the diagrams because I may actually need to draw that at one point

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I was referring to that thread, yes. Sorry I meant those are the OP's 2010 HSC notes, not Ahmad's.
So should I go for the Revised, Edited, Perfected notes rather than the 2010 notes? I can't even find the 2010 notes on Biology anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)