Happy September 11th! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Iron woman said:
It's still sinking in that this was probably the defining point of our generations...
What southpark? Oh i'd def agree there...

*cough*

9/11 was more important to the americans, where as Bali is more important to us... it affects everyone but meh there aint no reason to get all psycho about it all.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
The 11th of September is a defining point in history. In about 20 years, it will be noted in textbooks as the beginning of four years of utter madness as a coalition of the most conservative and inhumane governments hijacked the tragedy of 9/11 and whored it off as an excuse to invade countries with no connections to the people who organised the attacks.

But soon the dark years of the 21st century will be over, as the citizens of those nations governed by those inhumane and conservative governments realise the pain and suffereing that their nations have taken part in and decide to elect sensible governments.

Really, doesn't the whole thing really piss everyone off?

The evil terrorists, the good coalition. I particularly hate the way Howard and Bush scare people into believing that 'terrorists' are apart of an evil, global force determined to destory democracy and 'take away our freedom' and that by invading Iraq, we would somehow stop people wanting to become 'terrorists'.

Back to 9/11, does anybody else hear Nagasaki and Hiroshima ringing in the back of their heads? Those poor, poor Americans...

nerd2die4

HSC
on the hiroshima thing, it wasnt like ' ohh gee we have a bomb lets use it'. the americans were attacked first. i don't get your second last paragraph - terrorists are a part of an evil force, can you deny that? and i'm pretty sure that we didnt invade iraq to stop people from becoming terrosrists.

lengstar

HSC
whats the difference between freedom fighters and terrorists?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
oh, I didn't realise so much anti-american sentiment was still floating around on this board.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
leetom said:
The 11th of September is a defining point in history. In about 20 years, it will be noted in textbooks as the beginning of four years of utter madness as a coalition of the most conservative and inhumane governments hijacked the tragedy of 9/11 and whored it off as an excuse to invade countries with no connections to the people who organised the attacks
Apart from sheltering them (see Afghanistan) and financing them (see Iraq)

But soon the dark years of the 21st century will be over, as the citizens of those nations governed by those inhumane and conservative governments realise the pain and suffereing that their nations have taken part in and decide to elect sensible governments.
VOTE NUMBER 1 FOR BOB BROWN AND LEGALISED MARAJUANA!

Really, doesn't the whole thing really piss everyone off?
Only the terrorists.

The evil terrorists, the good coalition.
That's the one!

I particularly hate the way Howard and Bush scare people into believing that 'terrorists' are apart of an evil, global force
Obviously. In fact, Indonesia (see Jakarta, Mariott and Bali bombings), Russia (see Chechian terrorists), Israel (see the Palestinian fun squad), New York (see 911) and Madrid (see Madrid train bombings) aren't really global locations as such - hey, all bar one are in the same hemisphere!

determined to destory democracy and 'take away our freedom' and that by invading Iraq, we would somehow stop people wanting to become 'terrorists'.
1) I assume by bombing random locations and wrecking general havoc in the West terrorists are advancing the causes of democracy and freedom? By attempting to influence elections (see Madrid bombing, and Australian embassy bombing) terrorists aren't attempting to subvert the democratic process?

2) "wanting to become terrorists"? I can't seem to recall that being a stated goal of the Coalition.

Back to 9/11, does anybody else hear Nagasaki and Hiroshima ringing in the back of their heads? Those poor, poor Americans...
1) Earlier you called 911 a tragedy (probably to stop people like me who have respect for the 5000 people who died coming down on you) but now you're saying LOL@j00 AMERICANS, please - make up your mind.

2) Hiroshima and Nahasaki - See World War Two. Also do you remember Pearl Harbour? An attack that was launched at a nation that wasn't at war? (much like 9/11 for that matter). Hiro/Nag was launched in war time, and ended a war. I think there's a distinction that needs to be made here.

3) It's nice that you so happilly trivialise the loss of 5000+ lives.

Last edited:

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
It's been 2 years. Can't those faggots get over it?
Haha the women who read the stupid lists had the most annoying voice ever!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
HellVeN said:
It's been 2 years.
Good guess, but it was 3.

Can't those faggots get over it?
Tell that to the relatives of the 5000 faggots (of all ethnicities and nationalities, including Australians) who lost their lives.

Haha the women who read the stupid lists had the most annoying voice ever!
Tragic.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I think it was more like 3000 dead for 11/9, but that's not really the point, still a tragedy. It was a defining point because it was an event that forced arguably the greatest shift in Western foreign policy since the end of the Cold War, and it became politically expident and a national security necessity to take a strong public stance against terror. A loss of national innocence on a rather larger scale than anyone pre 11/9 was prepared for, if you will.

I am personally a little skeptical about the concept of global terror. Sure there are terrorist organisations operating all over the world, but barring when common beliefs or aims act as a unifying force, they are generally concerned with local issues and local perceived injustices - Chechens, IRA, Hamas + other Palestinians organisations to name a few. However, in general they do not act to further each others aims - how many jihad calls have you seen published in the papers that have actually been followed through worldwide by all the Islamic terrorist groups - to quote Scribe, "not many, if any".
The point of all this is that while a select few terrorist groups have global aspirations, most notably al-Quaeda, these are rarely acted upon and in terms of targeting terror, we would be better off dealing with local issues - the injustices, perceived or otherwise, that drive people who would otherwise be peaceful people to terrorist atrocities. This isn't necessarily negotiating, although complete success will rarely be achieved without it, but a move away from the big stick, big scapegoat approach that appears to be so popular at the moment.

But back to the topic...

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
Tell that to the relatives of the 5000 faggots (of all ethnicities and nationalities, including Australians) who lost their lives.
if only the senseless killing could have stopped there, and not here

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Nick said:
if only the senseless killing could have stopped there, and not here
Of course, bend over and take the terrorism America.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah...10,000 dead really compares with Saddams million. In the process of these 10,000 dying, a free, liberal nation has been formed. Under Saddams million, a nation of anarchism and crime was about. Wake up.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
thorrnydevil said:
Yeah...10,000 dead really compares with Saddams million. In the process of these 10,000 dying, a free, liberal nation has been formed. Under Saddams million, a nation of anarchism and crime was about. Wake up.
hahaha

finally iraq is free of anarchism and crime

give it ten years before you start saying stuff like that

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Nick said:
hahaha

finally iraq is free of anarchism and crime

give it ten years before you start saying stuff like that
Well its bloody well safer now then under Saddams rule. Or do you think 1,000,000 deaths is OK?

mishka

HSC
N/A
i have a freaky story, but it is with the topic....

my grandma was looking through her America memorabilia and came across tickets and things (she likes keeping these things!!).
i asked to look at them and couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this small blue ticket...

it had written on it : Twin Towers Observation Deck (but wait, there's more)
the DATE was stamped on the ticket and it read 091191

turns out my grandma and grandpa had been up to the observation deck 10 years TO THE DAY of the terror attacks...

do you think something like this could be valuable/collectible??? i could be silly, but i think it's amazing that she would have kept something like that AND it was that particular date.... :)

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
i wouldn't say that saddam's regime was anarchistic - brutal, yes, but a rule of law was maintained, even if it wasn't particularly just. i don't know which is better, now or then, but presumably now has the advantage of no sanctions and the hope (not certainty though) of getting better with time - there is no guarantee that Iraq will become a beacon of strong democracy as promised, given the intentions of so many groups to undercut an american associated regime (like south vietnam in some ways, or weimar germany with its associations of defeat)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
mervvyn said:
i wouldn't say that saddam's regime was anarchistic - brutal, yes, but a rule of law was maintained, even if it wasn't particularly just. i don't know which is better, now or then, but presumably now has the advantage of no sanctions and the hope (not certainty though) of getting better with time - there is no guarantee that Iraq will become a beacon of strong democracy as promised, given the intentions of so many groups to undercut an american associated regime (like south vietnam in some ways, or weimar germany with its associations of defeat)
Oh, and the fact that the mass murders have ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)