Hard Conics Question (1 Viewer)

superSAIyan2

HSC
Prove that if chord PQ cuts hyperbola x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = 1 at P and Q and the asymptotes at P' and Q' then PP' = QQ'

Can someone please show me how to do this. I tried both parametric and cartesian approach. And using distance formula gets way too complicated as there are like 3 or 4 terms inside a ()^2. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks

hayabusaboston

HSC
Prove that if chord PQ cuts hyperbola x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = 1 at P and Q and the asymptotes at P' and Q' then PP' = QQ'

Can someone please show me how to do this. I tried both parametric and cartesian approach. And using distance formula gets way too complicated as there are like 3 or 4 terms inside a ()^2. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks
Im starting conics on friday, if noone has helped by then, I'll try to :)

superSAIyan2

HSC
thanks :) ... but wouldnt it take a few weeks for you to learn hyperbola properties (assuming you learn ellipse first)

hayabusaboston

HSC
Our class does shiz pretty quick aye ;) haha but yea my teacher likes to do things quick, knowing her we'll whiz through conics in a very short space of time. So I will probably have the knowledge background to your question before the end of next week, thurs fri sometime.

This is assuming I can keep up with my teachers speed of teaching LOL.... I hope I can....

superSAIyan2

HSC
hey realise thanks for the suggestion. ive already completed that question lol - its in our 4unit booklet. but the question specifies that A (or P') is directly above P and Q' is directly below Q. Or should I just consider the triangles given in the question and use that to show the distances are equal?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
hey realise thanks for the suggestion. ive already completed that question lol - its in our 4unit booklet. but the question specifies that A (or P') is directly above P and Q' is directly below Q. Or should I just consider the triangles given in the question and use that to show the distances are equal?
The question 8 is in 5 parts, the 4th part proves the distances are equal (it uses the first 3 parts though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)