• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hard or Easy Maths Question... 4unit class come solve it (3 Viewers)

daeneee

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
That's pretty complicated working out, actually. Thanks for the answer by the way, it was cool and cleared up all my doubt.

I go to St Piux X College (SPX), the best school on the north shore. Teachers are great, students are great and it's pretty academic as well.

rofl. best school on the north shore.
HAH.

HSC
回复: Re: Hard or Easy Maths Question... 4unit class come solve it

Affinity said:
calculators save you no time in the 4 unit exam
never said they did.
but they definatley save me alot of marks

jcurry

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Hard or Easy Maths Question... 4unit class come solve it

tacogym27101990 said:
never said they did.
but they definatley save me alot of marks
yeh calculators dont get stressed out and add 10+7 wrong or anything like that

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
Damn you!!!
wish i could do that
it would save soooo much time
What would you use it for?

I can think of at most two questions it would be useful - harder 3u probability, and mechanics.

As Affinity said, calculators save you no time in 4u. The exams are designed to be theoretical and abstract in nature, not applied and numerical. I encourage all to try and work their problems out without calculators.

HSC
回复: Hard or Easy Maths Question... 4unit class come solve it

yes, but as i said earlier in the post
i have dyspraxia, which limits the complexity of the calculations i can do quite alot.
i wish i could do the exams without a calculator
but its not worth losing like 20 marks coz of shitty maths in my head

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
He could mean developmental dispraxia, but the way he describes it, it does sound more like dyslexia or discalculia.

Interestingly, it seems to be neurally related to ADHD (which is what I have) and has about the same prevalence rate in the population (5% to 10%).

HSC
回复: Hard or Easy Maths Question... 4unit class come solve it

i dont no what it is
but i had to have heaps of tests from a speech therapist when i was younger
and they sed its the reason i get words muddled up and cant do mathjs in my head and shit

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I did an assignment on dyscalculia in special ed.

I got the impression that it is probably a whole pile of different problems that get lumped into together because they all result in problems with learning maths. For example, some dyslexics have dyscalculia, but then there are also dyslexics who score within the gifted range on tests of mathematical apptitude.

tacogym27101990, when you say that you can't do maths in your head, you just mean that you can't do arithmetic, don't you? I mean, if you are doing 4 unit you are obviously doing alot of abstract mathematics in your head.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Most learning disorders like ADHD, dyslexia, discalculia show no pattern of intelligence - they span the normal bell curve for IQ, paradoxically often showing a slight skew towards higher intelligence. Interestingly, Gifted individuals seem to have a high degree of co-morbid disorders such as depression, bipolar, ADHD, dyslexia, etc.

And yeah, it's likely not just one disorder. For example in ADHD, it appears there might be multiple genetic causes which are termed ADHD because of their relative similarity in symptoms, mode of treatment, and area of the brain affected.

independantz

HSC
Slidey said:
What would you use it for?

I can think of at most two questions it would be useful - harder 3u probability, and mechanics.

As Affinity said, calculators save you no time in 4u. The exams are designed to be theoretical and abstract in nature, not applied and numerical. I encourage all to try and work their problems out without calculators.
What about some definite integrals...?

HSC
Iruka said:
tacogym27101990, when you say that you can't do maths in your head, you just mean that you can't do arithmetic, don't you? I mean, if you are doing 4 unit you are obviously doing alot of abstract mathematics in your head.
yeah i just can't multiply and subtract and shit in my head
they way i have to do it on paper is alot slower than using a calculator

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
independantz said:
What about some definite integrals...?
You mean what did I do having no calculator?

I simplified as far as possible. I often left answers in exact form, though, which is I believe acceptable. E.g. sqrt(3), arctan(2). Anyway, most definite integrals in 4unit are designed to be evaluated without a calculator (lots of terms cancel, the limits can be manipulated, the answers are often simple exact forms, etc).

In many ways this was good because I made less mistakes. Calculators are notorious for introducing errors, both through computational error and error typing the numbers and operators in.

The more you avoid calculators and do things in your head, the better you become at memory, accuracy and speed in not only arithmetic but abstract algebra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)