Harder Circle Geometry (1 Viewer)

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
HCG seems to be a case of "you either get it or you dont"; my teacher has suggested that more practice = improvement, but this doesn't seem to be effective. Is there a more effective way to improve in HCG? Any particular textbooks which cover it well? Thanks.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
You can't expect a textbook to cover it such that you can suddenly become an expert on it.
Rather, as your teacher suggested, it's a matter of practice (and aptitude).
But indeed, there are certain rules that are used more often than others.
These include:
angle in the same segment
angle in the alternate segment
cyclic quad stuff.

Actually, a good teacher who can show you various examples may be very helpful.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
HCG seems to be a case of "you either get it or you dont"; my teacher has suggested that more practice = improvement, but this doesn't seem to be effective. Is there a more effective way to improve in HCG? Any particular textbooks which cover it well? Thanks.
for circle geo, you must remember all the rules and stuff ( tangents meet the radius at 90) ect. the more questions that you do, the more ways you will be able to notify and realise the steps required in doing the question. like every other subject, all the questions have already been asked, so the more you do, the more likely that a test is going to have a circle geo question that you know how to do.

if stuck, go through all of the 15-17 rules and see if you can apply any of them to the question. draw them on your diagram and hopefull you will see what you need to do. if ur still unsure, take a step into the unknown. i.e. just take a lead and follow it and you just might see a solution. Also, say the question asked prove that this angle and this other one are equal, write down or think about possible ways that will allow you to prove it. eg, " this angle will equal that angle if these two lines are parallel => prove they are parallel and then presto. just keep trying to think of the different possibilities that will allow you to prove the statement. the "thinking" can be removed by doing more and more questions....

hope that helps!

K

khorne

I find it helps marking angles which are the same etc, as it tends to spark ideas. Remember, if you spend too much time on it, etc, you're probably going down the wrong road, so try something different.

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
im no authority on it, but i think it helps if you mark in every piece of information you can on a HUGE diagram; eventually youll just see it through pure brute force.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
lol, most of the harder circle geom problems in Ext 2 involve a cyclic quadrilateral. So once you see that everything becomes easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)