Hardest Humanities subject(s)? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
Defs eco. I find it's most similar to Chem than any other humanity subject, in that its a decent balance between conceptualizing stuff (how does A affect B) and memorizing content (stats, recent events). But yeah, marks wise it's still way easier to do well in Eco. You can usually scrape a 1-2/3 for a short answer Eco question even if you don't fully understand the question, whereas it's no chance in Chem. Chem markers will not hesitate in giving you zero, even if you're in the ballpark. In terms of how hard you have to work for marks in an exam, I've generally found it's:
Chemistry>>>>>Physics>Eco

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Defs eco. I find it's most similar to Chem than any other humanity subject, in that its a decent balance between conceptualizing stuff (how does A affect B) and memorizing content (stats, recent events). But yeah, marks wise it's still way easier to do well in Eco. You can usually scrape a 1-2/3 for a short answer Eco question even if you don't fully understand the question, whereas it's no chance in Chem. Chem markers will not hesitate in giving you zero, even if you're in the ballpark. In terms of how hard you have to work for marks in an exam, I've generally found it's:
Chemistry>>>>>Physics>Eco
You're getting my hopes up lol. I've started giving eco more time, so in my last exam I found it fairly good, but I feel like there's so sooo much to remember in eco. How on earth do you remember all these statistics man?!??! I swear I'm tempted to make them up in exams since there's so many and ceebs remembering them all. If you got any tips please share :)

emilios

HSC
You're getting my hopes up lol. I've started giving eco more time, so in my last exam I found it fairly good, but I feel like there's so sooo much to remember in eco. How on earth do you remember all these statistics man?!??! I swear I'm tempted to make them up in exams since there's so many and ceebs remembering them all. If you got any tips please share :)
Oh haha I don't actually remember too many stats myself, just the most important numbers. I probably had like 6-7 stats linked with real world events, but they really worked in my favour and I ended up getting 95%. Before my half yearlies I had a strong feeling that the essay was gonna be on either EX rates or Balance of Payments (it ended up being BoP) so I just remembered when Australia's EX rate was at its lowest ($0.48 USD in 2001) and its highest ($1.1USD I think in 2010? Forgot this one) and the impact this had on the Balance of Payments (surplus and deficit respectively). The trade stuff can be overwhelming but I realized the numbers were useless and all I said was that Australia's moved away from trading with the UK and Commonwealth nations and toward ASEAN/APEC nations like China. For the next topic, Economic Issues, it'll probably be worthwhile to have a few Unemployment, Inflation and GDP figures up your sleeve.

So yeah, my advice boils down to this: in your essays, discuss the theory side of things as if you were explaining it to someone, but towards the end of the paragraph refer to recent events and figures to go with them. It's not worth it to just memorize a whole bunch of stats, so familiarize yourself with the most important topics (so far its been Free Trade, Protection, EX rates and BoP) and have an idea of how real events in Australia relate to this (e.g. protection and car industry).

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Oh haha I don't actually remember too many stats myself, just the most important numbers. I probably had like 6-7 stats linked with real world events, but they really worked in my favour and I ended up getting 95%. Before my half yearlies I had a strong feeling that the essay was gonna be on either EX rates or Balance of Payments (it ended up being BoP) so I just remembered when Australia's EX rate was at its lowest ($0.48 USD in 2001) and its highest ($1.1USD I think in 2010? Forgot this one) and the impact this had on the Balance of Payments (surplus and deficit respectively). The trade stuff can be overwhelming but I realized the numbers were useless and all I said was that Australia's moved away from trading with the UK and Commonwealth nations and toward ASEAN/APEC nations like China. For the next topic, Economic Issues, it'll probably be worthwhile to have a few Unemployment, Inflation and GDP figures up your sleeve.

So yeah, my advice boils down to this: in your essays, discuss the theory side of things as if you were explaining it to someone, but towards the end of the paragraph refer to recent events and figures to go with them. It's not worth it to just memorize a whole bunch of stats, so familiarize yourself with the most important topics (so far its been Free Trade, Protection, EX rates and BoP) and have an idea of how real events in Australia relate to this (e.g. protection and car industry).
Thank you sooo much!!! :)

dunjaaa

HSC
I do business studies and economics and by far economics is one of the most challenging yet rewarding subjects. Economics is very conceptual but once you understand how everything works and links up its more or so the gratification that you achieve that's satisfying. As for any humanities subject, once you appreciate and come to like the subject, it becomes easy :p

AppleSauce

HSC
N/A
I've only done two of the humanities. Personally I've found that Eco > MH. Modern is too much memorising for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)