HARRY POTTER & THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - thoughts (SPOILERS!!) (2 Viewers)

Dave2007

HSC
I haven't been on BoS trolling harry potter threads for ages...

Here are some interesting things that none of you have probably mentioned.

Remember in book 3 when Trelawney refused to go to sit down at Christmas lunch because 12 people were there and she said "When 13 dine together the first to rise will be the first to die"? Well there were 13 there already - Scabbers (Pettigrew) was in Ron's pocket. Dumbledore was the first to stand up - to get Trelawney a chair - and he was the first to die.

At Harry's Birthday party there were precisely 13 people sitting down for the meal (some others such as Arthur who was still atthe ministry or Molly who was wandering around weren't sitting). The first to rise were Tonks and Lupin, then Fred. Foreshadowing much?

Also, remember in book 1, when Oliver Wood said to harry "Catch the snitch or die trying"? Well, turned out that comment about that particular snitch meant more than meets the eye.

The last line "All was well" is not as simplistic as it seems. Its actually a reference to Scott-Holland's poem "Death is nothing at all". Like HP it talks about the effects of death friends or those who die for other people, but in the end shows its not that bad and says "All is well".

Mad-Eye Moody isn't dead. He just went mad. You may notice his eye was taken from him. What else do we see in Diagon Alley but a slightly-mad looking man, with a hatred for Bellatrix, and a bloody rag covering one eye?!!?

Anyway sorry if this stuff has been said before. I have my first trial HSC exam (english) in 3 hours and just didnt feel like reading the thread.

mzduxx2006

HSC

I thought it was really good. the way J.K Rowling has written the book is fantastic. I think when dobby died was probly one of the sadest bits,. and when tonks and lupin die as well. But i mean comeon we ALL knew Ron and Hermione would go out in the end. It was sorta sad when george died though. But hey im cheering. they represented Albania throughout the book. [im albanian] LMAO

:D

HSC
Dave2007 said:

Remember in book 3 when Trelawney refused to go to sit down at Christmas lunch because 12 people were there and she said "When 13 dine together the first to rise will be the first to die"? Well there were 13 there already - Scabbers (Pettigrew) was in Ron's pocket. Dumbledore was the first to stand up - to get Trelawney a chair - and he was the first to die.

At Harry's Birthday party there were precisely 13 people sitting down for the meal (some others such as Arthur who was still atthe ministry or Molly who was wandering around weren't sitting). The first to rise were Tonks and Lupin, then Fred. Foreshadowing much?

Also, remember in book 1, when Oliver Wood said to harry "Catch the snitch or die trying"? Well, turned out that comment about that particular snitch meant more than meets the eye.

The last line "All was well" is not as simplistic as it seems. Its actually a reference to Scott-Holland's poem "Death is nothing at all". Like HP it talks about the effects of death friends or those who die for other people, but in the end shows its not that bad and says "All is well".

Mad-Eye Moody isn't dead. He just went mad. You may notice his eye was taken from him. What else do we see in Diagon Alley but a slightly-mad looking man, with a hatred for Bellatrix, and a bloody rag covering one eye?!!?

Anyway sorry if this stuff has been said before. I have my first trial HSC exam (english) in 3 hours and just didnt feel like reading the thread.
:O

wow, some good observations there... as much as Trelawney is mocked, in everybook she is mentioned... her predictions come true, like in HPD with the 'lighting will strike on the tower, etc.'

that man asks about his kids? mad-eye had kids?

atreus

HSC
santastic said:
:O

that man asks about his kids? mad-eye had kids?
yeah, at first when it said about the eye thing i thought it was mad-eye then he was rambling on about kids so i thought maybe it wasnt. also, wouldnt the trio have recognised him?

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
I really think that the epilogue should have been a whole book it didnt have to be huge but there needced to be more in there. The readers were just left to assume. way too rushed but i did love the book i thought it was excellent even the rushed unfinished epilogue, the ideas in the epilogue were great i thought it just needed to be alot longer. The epilogue should have followed the kids around and shown us their character more while also explaining the professions of the original characters and tell us what else they are doing. I know JKR didnt want to write another book but that disappoints me. I thought she enjoyed writing these books and it feels through that comment that she justw rote it rushed and un-passionate to get it out of the way. That to me puts a cloud over the last book when i read it even thought i did love it. But yes I WANT AN EPILOGUE BOOK! :p

EDIT: Hey guys just wanted to know where to find the fake epilogues. Want to take a look and see:) thanks

Last edited:
HSC
lisajf said:
I really think that the epilogue should have been a whole book it didnt have to be huge but there needced to be more in there. The readers were just left to assume. way too rushed but i did love the book i thought it was excellent even the rushed unfinished epilogue, the ideas in the epilogue were great i thought it just needed to be alot longer. The epilogue should have followed the kids around and shown us their character more while also explaining the professions of the original characters and tell us what else they are doing. I know JKR didnt want to write another book but that disappoints me. I thought she enjoyed writing these books and it feels through that comment that she justw rote it rushed and un-passionate to get it out of the way. That to me puts a cloud over the last book when i read it even thought i did love it. But yes I WANT AN EPILOGUE BOOK! :p

EDIT: Hey guys just wanted to know where to find the fake epilogues. Want to take a look and see:) thanks
epilogue book would ruin the series imo. jk rowling kept talking about maybe writing an encyclopedia of some sort, that sounds like a good idea i think.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Dave2007 said:

Pretty good observations!

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
I dont rekon it wouldnt have to be long just like the length of the first book so we could find out more about the otehr characters figure out wehats going on in hogwarts and get to know the next generations characters and other stuff. But yeh maybe you are right. guess we will never know :p By the way that mad eye thing far out u must be observant!! im re reading the books now im up to the first one. that way i can take my time and attemt to notice little things like that!!!

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
mum reckons the epilogue forshadows another Voldermort in the form of Albert Severus, with James being a new, well, james

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
Maybe but somehow maybe not through albus severus but maybe she was trying to do something like that. i hope she doesnt write a next generation Book lol that would be silly. BuT i want A FULL EPILOGUE!!!! lol

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Dave2007 said:

I especially liked the "all was well" analysis, band sex for you today. Maybe it's the philosophy of the intertextual allusion, but that point makes me read deeper into the epilogue now.

Also I would have just understood the structure of "all was well" to be epigrammatic with a tone of finality, but you win (and not as sh*t as fenris).

Do you have any more by any chance?

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Has everyone read the chat (I think from last night) where JKR answered lots of questions? She is awesome.

Edit: I've attached a transcript of it

Anyway, I was really disturbed by the Muggles "messing around" with Arianna too - I assumed it was sexual assault, considering the way she and her father reacted it. The ambiguity of it makes it even worse, I think, but I liked how JKR did it - younger readers would just think she got beaten up or something, while we would be left wondering exactly what happened to her...

"The green eyes found the black"... this line gets me every time. Along with "Look... at me..." :sad:

Dave2007 - you have an excellent eye for detail!

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
bubz,where did you get that potterpuff avatar?
I thought they stopped doing that

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
That web chat was great thanks bubz. Its made me want more hp books badly! :( damn it :'( cant believe its over

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
bubz :D said:
Has everyone read the chat (I think from last night) where JKR answered lots of questions? She is awesome.

Edit: I've attached a transcript of it

Anyway, I was really disturbed by the Muggles "messing around" with Arianna too - I assumed it was sexual assault, considering the way she and her father reacted it. The ambiguity of it makes it even worse, I think, but I liked how JKR did it - younger readers would just think she got beaten up or something, while we would be left wondering exactly what happened to her...

"The green eyes found the black"... this line gets me every time. Along with "Look... at me..." :sad:

Dave2007 - you have an excellent eye for detail!
yeah thanks for the transcript, although it got me confused at the begining, since we have to read from page 6, and work our way to page 1. But, still cool :D thanks!

EDIT: Hey guys didnt J.K Rowling once say that Ron became a Auror with Harry? BUT, now in the transcript that Bubz posted, Jo says that Ron works at Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
I think that ron becoming an auror was just a fans view on what happened. Rowling also had never heard of some stuff she apparently had said in the transcript also. Bit pathetic rons profession could have at least been something with the ministry like Mr. Weasly does.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
That answers my question! :)

Laura Trego: Was the absence of Snape’s portrait in the headmaster’s office in the last scene innocent or deliberate
J.K. Rowling: It was deliberate. Snape had effectively abandoned his post before dying, so he had not merited inclusion in these august circles.
J.K. Rowling: However, I like to think that Harry would be instrumental in ensuring that Snape's portrait would appear there in due course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)