• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HARRY POTTER & the goblet of fire!! (1 Viewer)

persephone

HSC
It was good. Although I would have liked to see some Quidditch from the World Cup. did anyone think that Dumbledore was quite aggressive in this movie? And i love Cedric Diggory, shame he's not coming back.
and moaning myrtle and harry in the tub. OMG. She's such a perve.

7th Sign

HSC
saw the first half of the movie on dvd about a week and a hlf ago notihng special was pretty boring :| cant believe australia got it soo late :|

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Ok. I just got back from seeing it a couple of hours ago, and I'm not impressed. At first the special effects and whatnot make it seem really good, but the more I think about it, the more things I can think of that deviate from the book when they really didn't have to. Excuse the following rant.

What was completely fucked

I absolutely hated Hermione and Dumbledore. Dumbledore was way too violent in pushing Harry and he yelled too much. In one scene when he and Harry were in his office, Dumbledore kept moving around, and then jumped onto the staircase and sat down... in the books he seems really composed and assured, in movies 3 and 4 he seems like a violent old man with a weird accent and a yellowing ponytail for a beard.

Hermione was a whiny little bitch. WTF at the psycho she had at Ron after the Yule Ball. Her voice is so annoying! I really think they should have done more to make it seem like a bigger transformation when we see her at the Yule Ball. She's too pretty ordinarily. Bring back the bushy hair!

I was also uncomfortable during the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons' entrances, how they did their little performances, it just seemed out of place. I also imagined that both schools were co-ed.

Sirius in the fire... don't even get me started. Blasphemy!

Oh, and when Harry was looking for Cedric in that courtyard thing to tell him about the dragons for the first task, and everyone was mocking Harry with those "Potter Stinks" badges, they focused on a girl with blonde hair (I THINK, it happened really quickly). Did anyone think this might be Luna Lovegood?

I really didn't like the hedge action in the third task. I was expecting to see the sphinx's riddle, the large spider attack Cedric, etc., but instead we see the hedges collapsing, and people 'changing' (as DD said before they entered)?

DEATH EATER KKK HOODS = no no no! That was stupid. Also, why did they make it so Barty Crouch Jr. cast Morsmordre after the DE attacks had died down? I thought when he cast the Dark Mark in the book it was to scare the Death Eaters (i.e. Voldemort's betrayers cause they were doing nothing to bring him back)?

I hated the fight between Harry and Ron. Ron seemed like such a pussy; in the book he won't even speak to Harry let alone help him with the first task! Did anyone cringe when after they made up Hermione was like "BOYS LOL!!!11"

It also jumped around really quickly from scene to scene. I know that it's hard to condense such a detailed book into less than 3 hours, but for people who haven't read the book it's gonna be hard to understand what the hell is going on.

What I liked

I liked Cho Chang's Scottish accent, although I heard a fair few people around me going WTF is wrong with her voice

The egg was great. I liked the song (although I DIDN'T like the Harry/Murtle action they had going on!) I also liked how Harry transformed after he ate the Gillyweed. The flip was pretty cool.

I liked how they incorporated Moody's swigs of Polyjuice right throughout the movie, making a first timer think he was an drunk. I also thought Draco's ferret transfiguration was well done, although when he crawled down Goyle/Crabbe's(? I can't remember) pants, it was a bit suss :S

Cedric's death = good. I'll admit it. I cried. When Harry portkeyed out of the graveyard and returned, and the upbeat music started and everyone started cheering, but Harry was just lying over Cedric's body not letting go, and then Fleur screamed, and then Amos Diggory started screaming "That's my boy!".. omg. I couldn't help it. I'm pathetic.

I'll probably think of more things later.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
PaleReflection said:
Cedric's death = good. I'll admit it. I cried. When Harry portkeyed out of the graveyard and returned, and the upbeat music started and everyone started cheering, but Harry was just lying over Cedric's body not letting go, and then Fleur screamed, and then Amos Diggory started screaming "That's my boy!".. omg. I couldn't help it. I'm pathetic.
My eyes also began to glisten

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
PaleReflection said:
Ok. I just got back from seeing it a couple of hours ago, and I'm not impressed. At first the special effects and whatnot make it seem really good, but the more I think about it, the more things I can think of that deviate from the book when they really didn't have to. Excuse the following rant.

What was completely fucked

I absolutely hated Hermione and Dumbledore. Dumbledore was way too violent in pushing Harry and he yelled too much. In one scene when he and Harry were in his office, Dumbledore kept moving around, and then jumped onto the staircase and sat down... in the books he seems really composed and assured, in movies 3 and 4 he seems like a violent old man with a weird accent and a yellowing ponytail for a beard.

Hermione was a whiny little bitch. WTF at the psycho she had at Ron after the Yule Ball. Her voice is so annoying! I really think they should have done more to make it seem like a bigger transformation when we see her at the Yule Ball. She's too pretty ordinarily. Bring back the bushy hair!

I was also uncomfortable during the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons' entrances, how they did their little performances, it just seemed out of place. I also imagined that both schools were co-ed.

Sirius in the fire... don't even get me started. Blasphemy!

Oh, and when Harry was looking for Cedric in that courtyard thing to tell him about the dragons for the first task, and everyone was mocking Harry with those "Potter Stinks" badges, they focused on a girl with blonde hair (I THINK, it happened really quickly). Did anyone think this might be Luna Lovegood?

I really didn't like the hedge action in the third task. I was expecting to see the sphinx's riddle, the large spider attack Cedric, etc., but instead we see the hedges collapsing, and people 'changing' (as DD said before they entered)?

DEATH EATER KKK HOODS = no no no! That was stupid. Also, why did they make it so Barty Crouch Jr. cast Morsmordre after the DE attacks had died down? I thought when he cast the Dark Mark in the book it was to scare the Death Eaters (i.e. Voldemort's betrayers cause they were doing nothing to bring him back)?

I hated the fight between Harry and Ron. Ron seemed like such a pussy; in the book he won't even speak to Harry let alone help him with the first task! Did anyone cringe when after they made up Hermione was like "BOYS LOL!!!11"

It also jumped around really quickly from scene to scene. I know that it's hard to condense such a detailed book into less than 3 hours, but for people who haven't read the book it's gonna be hard to understand what the hell is going on.

What I liked

I liked Cho Chang's Scottish accent, although I heard a fair few people around me going WTF is wrong with her voice

The egg was great. I liked the song (although I DIDN'T like the Harry/Murtle action they had going on!) I also liked how Harry transformed after he ate the Gillyweed. The flip was pretty cool.

I liked how they incorporated Moody's swigs of Polyjuice right throughout the movie, making a first timer think he was an drunk. I also thought Draco's ferret transfiguration was well done, although when he crawled down Goyle/Crabbe's(? I can't remember) pants, it was a bit suss :S

I'll probably think of more things later.
agreed with most of what you said.

They havent cast Luna yet and that girl you're referring to is a Slytherin I think.

Sorry for not writing much but quoting a chunk

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
The_highwayman said:
My eyes also began to glisten
Me too! In fact what made it worse was my friend, who was next to me, started laughing.

Oh yeah. I'd also like to say that I thought overall, it was a good movie. Mike Newell had a hard job trying to turn an enormous novel which could easily have ballooned into a four-hour monstrosity into a into a tame beastie. I actually feared worse; I thought cutting out the subplots worked well for this movie. It had a very nice flow to it.

I agree with the idea that Dumbledore is too "active" in these more recent movies. I suppose it came about with a change of actor; I actually rather liked Richard Harris in the first films. On the other hand, Dumbledore is going to have to be fairly active in movie six, so then again **shrugs**

It's difficult - Emma Watson is a naturally pretty girl, from what I've heard - to make such a dramatic change of character...but having said that, they could have done more.

I was also hoping to see a lot more psychological stuffage in the maze...not sure what I was looking for, but stuff that would play around with your mind, I guess...like the sphinx and the dementor etc.

I didn't mind the Death Eaters though, that was okay. Oh, and Mad-Eye Moody was fantastic. Why the lack of Sirius? I suppose time constraints would have done that...Both schools were co-ed (well at least Beauxbatons was, because there was a mention of a boy from that school), but perhaps it made it easier due to casting.

P.S. OMG PERIWINKLE BLUE :( I missed it...

But...overall, it was done VERY well. I'm probably going to see it again!

Gummy_bear

HSC
I havnt seen the movie just yet, but i heard that house elves arnt even mentioned in the movie?
is this true? coz i love that whole house elves thing so much! and dobby rocks my socks! how does harry find out about that thing that transforms him if dobby doesnt tell him? They better not keep the house elves out in the next movies, specially kreacher, he has to be in the next two books as he does so much.

they probly couldnt afford the animation stuff, or maybe they accidently deleted all the animation files they had on dobby? lol.

i want s.p.e.w! thats so good :(
but, i suppose i can cope...

oh, and also..is this the first movies with the new dumbledoor? or did the 3rd one have him too? i cant remember...dun wanna look it up.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
3rd one had michael gambon too...

its not about being enegretic but he has to have the right gentle aura yet still appearing in control powerful and cheerful

the only thing gambon has got is the wit and cheery-ness..missing alot of gentle-ness and subtlety

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Gummy_bear said:
I havnt seen the movie just yet, but i heard that house elves arnt even mentioned in the movie?
is this true? coz i love that whole house elves thing so much! and dobby rocks my socks! how does harry find out about that thing that transforms him if dobby doesnt tell him? They better not keep the house elves out in the next movies, specially kreacher, he has to be in the next two books as he does so much.
Yeah, they didn't include the house elves. Harry finds out about the Gillyweed for the 2nd Task because Neville tells him (remember how in the book Moody gave Neville the book on plants cause he was hoping Harry would find it).

They'll definitely include Kreacher in movie 5, he is central to the plot. I dunno about Dobby though, although in movie 6 they might include the scene where he and Kreacher fight on the floor of the hospital wing.

stella8h8chang said:
P.S. OMG PERIWINKLE BLUE :( I missed it...
UGHHHHH I KNOW! How hard is it to get a dress colour right????

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i loved it soooooo much! it was awesome.
at first i was annoyed about the things they had changed and left out, but then i remembered that it is BASED on the book, its not meant to be exactly the book, turned into a movie. they cant make everything exactly the same.
i was annoyed that they didnt have Hermiones dress the colour it was meant to be, i mean, thats not a hard thing to do, is it?
All the guys have gotten so hot! except for Ron, of course... lol.
i liked the way they did all of the tasks, but i didnt like the way they cut the Quidditch World Cup so short, i wanted to see it!
i have more to say, but i cant remember it all...

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
PerfectByNature said:
All the guys have gotten so hot! except for Ron, of course... lol.
I agree completely. Harry and the Weasley twins make me want to touch myself

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
I saw this last night at a private function at hoyts in newcastle, movie was a bit disappointing but the free booze and food made up for it.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i saw this on thursday night. LOVED IT. and who the fuck says Ron's not hot! HELLO! hes better than Harry and Harry's a BABE! and the weasley twins hahaha where the fuck did they come from?!

It was an awesome movie just on its own, but it was shit when you remind yourself its actually supposed to be the 4th Harry Potter. There wasnt a single house elf in it, which almost ruined it, seeing as they are a big part of the plot (S.P.E.W?!?! or is that the 5th one...)

I loved the graveyard scene. it was exactly how i imagined it. :D

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I thought they did it pretty well - alot better than the 3rd one. The Weasly twins are awesome! As is Ron, LOL. There was something about Victor Krum that was really really attractive - he wasn't good looking but there was something about him!

The graveyard scene was done so well - when I read the book I really didnt care that Cedric died, but in the movie you really get to like him and when they're transported back to the stadium and everyone is cheering while Harry screams almost had me crying - and the last few scenes really caught your emotions. Snape and McGonagall were hilarious as usual. I like Michael Gambons interpretation of Dumbledore - and it was really the 4th book were Dumbledore stoped being the mythical grandfather figure, and we saw the more darker side of him, as well it was where he started being more human and we saw his faults.

Either way, I was extremley impressed, and will be seeing it again!

stainmepink

HSC
i thought cedric diggory was mindblowingly orgasmic. I wish there were more shots of him, preferably shots of him in the prefects bathroom, without a robe on. His death was somewhat taunting, like the author and the director wanted me to lose my only perve in the film. First Oliver Wood, now Diggory. Stop teasing me.

i thought cho chang should have played a bigger role in the film, but i thought about and pfft, of course she can't, shes asian of course.

Lucy257

i thought it was the best one so far. they cut lots of it, but seriously: condensing that enormous book into an acceptable movie length would have been impossible had they not.

dammit! i didn't want cedric to die!!!!!!! he was absolutely gorgeous!

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Yes! Voldemort was awesome, even if he did prance around barefoot a bit too much.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
gobaby said:
i thought cho chang should have played a bigger role in the film,
She'll play a bigger role in the OotP film.

As for the "periwinkle blue" dress of hermione's it is quite clear that the costume designers much prefer the dusty pink colour that she went in. That is, if u look at PoA and this film hermione is almost always seen in that dusty pink colour when wearing casual clothes. I guess they are just trying to make it the "Hermione colour" and ron has the maroon and purple whilst harry changes between blue and red. have a look if u can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)