• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HARRY POTTER & THE HBP - what did you think? (SPOILERS!) (2 Viewers)

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
J.K cna make the unthinkable happen.

She made dumbledore "die" I've got a theory on this particular component.

The only time dumbledore's body is "noticed" as dead is by Harry's eyes. But though it's dark he could of easily made a misjudgement. As for the spell reliquishing - Dumbledore is one of the most powerful wizards, he has the ability to do all sorts of things - even lifting spells.

We are now led to believe Dumbledore is dead and that Snape killed him.

At the school funeral the body is placed in a white tomb. No body saw the body enter the tomb. Then it went up in flames. How are we to know if there was anybody inside? I and few a other people are not convinced dumbleodre is really dead. What a dismal and lacking end to such a great character. Same as Sirius. He's not dead. He's trapped behind the veil in the mystery room in the ministry of magic.

As for Snape. He cannot kill Harry. I still believe that he is dumbledore's spy and he masquerades as a death eater.

If we remember back to previous books, we notice a trend with Snape protecting Harry. In the philosophers stone he provides the counter curse, in the prisoner of azkaban he tries to defend Harry against Sirius. Even in the order of the phoenix he gives Harry occlumency lessons to block voldemort. Why all this? Snape has a deeper plot that has yet to be revealed, and when it is it's gonna be damn good

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
i started reading HP6 last nite...omg i didnt know that the prime minister knew about the other world...i found that quite interesting....ive only read the first chapter coz it was like midnight n i was realli tired...but omg i love it so far...cant wait to read tonite or tomoz :p

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
duckofdoom said:
J.K cna make the unthinkable happen.

She made dumbledore "die" I've got a theory on this particular component.

The only time dumbledore's body is "noticed" as dead is by Harry's eyes. But though it's dark he could of easily made a misjudgement. As for the spell reliquishing - Dumbledore is one of the most powerful wizards, he has the ability to do all sorts of things - even lifting spells.

We are now led to believe Dumbledore is dead and that Snape killed him.

At the school funeral the body is placed in a white tomb. No body saw the body enter the tomb. Then it went up in flames. How are we to know if there was anybody inside? I and few a other people are not convinced dumbleodre is really dead. What a dismal and lacking end to such a great character. Same as Sirius. He's not dead. He's trapped behind the veil in the mystery room in the ministry of magic.

As for Snape. He cannot kill Harry. I still believe that he is dumbledore's spy and he masquerades as a death eater.

If we remember back to previous books, we notice a trend with Snape protecting Harry. In the philosophers stone he provides the counter curse, in the prisoner of azkaban he tries to defend Harry against Sirius. Even in the order of the phoenix he gives Harry occlumency lessons to block voldemort. Why all this? Snape has a deeper plot that has yet to be revealed, and when it is it's gonna be damn good
I think we're all in denial. Dumbledore is dead and Sirius may be trapped behind the veil, but he's as good as gone because he's not going to come back. Snape explained why he offered Harry protection throughout these years - because he needed his job as a teacher at Hogwarts for as long as possible.

Pardon me for seeing the glass half-empty. I'd rather be pleasantly than unpleasantly surprised. :p

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
tasha1188 said:
i started reading HP6 last nite...omg i didnt know that the prime minister knew about the other world...i found that quite interesting....ive only read the first chapter coz it was like midnight n i was realli tired...but omg i love it so far...cant wait to read tonite or tomoz :p
You find out that the prime minister knows about the "other world" in HP PoA when Sirius is on the loose and the Prime minister is said to have sent out a warning about an escaped criminal.

klh

HSC
quite a convincing argument there...helping harry and all but did you read spinners end? that was, slay me for using the phrase, illuminating...he has a dark side is what im going to say...

somnambulist

I've tried re-reading the book but I still find myself rolling my eyes or trying not to cry out in despair because it angers me so much. Some of the stuff in this book honestly reads like bad fanfic! The first time I read it (on July 16th), I just kept hoping that it would get better but to no avail. It just got worse. The end made me sob like a little baby being dropped on concrete though.

All I can say is that five months on, I'm still bitterly disappointed over this book. If book 7 turns out to be much the same, I'm just going to pretend that the series ended after book 5. Heh.

Super!Ginny? The Lupin/Tonks that came out of nowhere? Crazed Hermione and the canaries? Continuity errors? (JK, Hermione slapped Draco in POA, she didn't punch him. Stop watching the movies and start paying more attention to writing your book) Massive anvils being dropped on the readers' heads about the importance of love? Please, spare me.

Godammit, I hate this book. And it pains me to say it, seeing as though I love the previous 5.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i thoroughly enjoyed this book more than OoTP. the lack of an incredibly irritating character, Umbridge, and the fact that it was easy to follow made me enjoy it. i can't be fucked reading OoTP again cause of Umbridge which is an issue cause i've forgotten almost everything about the ending except for the fact the Sirius dies. everything else that happened is a mess and i don't remember it.

klh

HSC
yes i am one your side that the 6th book had some errors and was not like what the older books was, but the info about Tom was a good read. i mean how does ron know aobut the hand of glory, for instance? harry may have told him though..

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
Perhaps Ron's father told him about the hand of glory - after all he's a member of the ministry of magic ,even though it's the muggle division.

Maybe after all those years with Hermione telling the countless information he may have remembered something.

Isn't a shame Draco turned out to be a sook. I would of thought he'd be a better character then that. That character development was quite disappointing.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
somnambulist said:
The Lupin/Tonks that came out of nowhere?
Actually, this had been hinted on a fair bit in OotP. Whenever we saw Lupin, Tonks was usually with him. I assumed they were together in Phoenix.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Ha, I finished this book the day after it came out and I still haven't posted my thoughts. Well overall, I agree with those who were disappointed. Some of the things that bugged me were

- The sudden onslaught of romantic dalliances (yes I realise the characters are horny teenagers but I felt the romance could have been played down a bit more in favour of the actual plot). Plus I don't like Ginny's character. She's oh-so amazing and brave and perfect (yawn) and I was hoping and praying Harry would end up with Luna, who is a far more interesting character and who deserved a much bigger part in this book. Rowling took so much time introducing her and giving her an important part in the last book and now she gets like one scene in this one. Not happy!

- The way the half-blood prince was revealed was lame and very cheesy ("For I am the Half-Blood Prince!" *twirls moustache and laughs evilly*). It played out like a bad fan-fiction. Ugh.

- I agree the Lupin/Tonks thing came out of nowhere and felt too contrived for me. I think it could have been foreshadowed more than it was, and it was revealed at a rather inopportune time. ("Dumbledore's dead, let's get together" :confused: )

On the plus side, I love Draco so much more. I love the way he's so conflicted and angsty now. It's sexy. :eek:

I was happy Dumbledore died. I never liked his character. As much as Rowling tried to give him all these loveable quirks he still seemed to me the generic wise old mentor and I never had much interest in him.

There were many things left unanswered, such as the veil and what happened to Sirius. Bring on book 7.

Last edited:

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Lundy said:
There were many things left unanswered, such as the veil and what happened to Sirius. Bring on book 7.
This is the main thing that disappointed me in HBP. Phoenix ended with Sirius' death and Harry all angsty, and I expected this to be dealt with in HBP. I thought Harry would want more answers, asking Dumbeldore about the veil etc. But there was nothing! Only a few short references to Sirius' death. It was like everyone got over it straight away.

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
PaleReflection said:
He better not join the light side.

I think Snape will die, evil or not.

Well Draco's hair is already there. Lame joke but I had to say it. :p
Draco, angst. yeah ok if you call snivelling and whinging about dying angst - but I do get what you mean.

The tonks/lupin couple I really enjoy. Ginny and Harry were a mistake and who thinks it's about time Ron and Hermione got their act toghther? They're too obvious.

Enough with the love.

I agree, the Sirius situation should've been explored into more depth - maybe even give us detail into what this veil thing really is and why they can't return. Maybe it's been explained in ootp - i don't remember.

The Death eaters are intriguing me the most. They can be anybody - I think maybe some big characters from past books may join the death eaters - Voldemort will have his last stand,but somehow I can't help but think he'll survive. He's survived through Harry' onslaught before - so unless Harry becomes a wizard extraordinaire he's got some big work lined up for him.

I think there's going to be much carnage by book 7's end. Much death and destruction to the wizard world - the usual.

Does anybody have theories on who'll be the next victim - not who you want to cop it, but who you think will get the wand end?

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Obvious targets for death are, obviously, Snape, Voldy and the death eaters. I think Draco might die, but he won't die entirely evil. i.e. he might do something good and noble before he dies, but won't completely switch to the good because that seems too cliche and out of character. The fact that he's already battling with his conscience in book 6 foreshadows something like this, I think.

On the 'good' side, it's anyone's guess. I've been secretly harboring a desire to have Hagrid killed off since book 1 because he's always annoyed the crap out of me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)