Has Anyone Questioned the Fact that.. (1 Viewer)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE LANGUAGE!!
We live in an english speaknig country ofcourse we need to talk the bloody langauge.. god some ppl are stupid! We're - well I'M talking about the fact that physics (for example) has gone from relying on mathematics and calculations to relating mainly to english and writing tedious essays!
can;t you see how much you are contradicting yourself?

i'll try and break it down for you simply -

English (the subject) - analysing texts

Physics- WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU ANALYSE A TEXT?

having to write an essay IS NOT ENGLISH

IT IS WRITING IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE

you're not complaining about having to analyse texts in physics, which you DONT HAVE TO. because it's NOT ENGLISH.

you're complaining about WRITING AN ESSAY.

THAT IS NOT ENGLISH.

GET IT?

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Im just saying there is no calculations anymore! i dont mind having to do a response but the only calculations involved now are 1-2 markers! do u guys do physics?

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Im just saying there is no calculations anymore! i dont mind having to do a response but the only calculations involved now are 1-2 markers! do u guys do physics?
thats not what you were saying at all. you said that they are HIDING ENGLISH IN OTHER SUBJECTS.

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
She means that the physics exams are turning into more of a english one, with more questions worth more marks on things like extended responses and essays. I recently had my physics assesment and 2/3 of it was all about describing things such as the models of atoms, Scientists, as well as half page responses to questions such as "Explain the significance of the Manhattan Project to society" I mean what kind of physics question is that!

mazza is right, I only had 1/3 on calculations, and even then they were only 1 or 2 marks.

The physics exams have changed since I have done it, and it HAS become more 'english based'

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by The Bograt
She means that the physics exams are turning into more of a english one, with more questions worth more marks on things like extended responses and essays. I recently had my physics assesment and 2/3 of it was all about describing things such as the models of atoms, Scientists, as well as half page responses to questions such as "Explain the significance of the Manhattan Project to society" I mean what kind of physics question is that!

mazza is right, I only had 1/3 on calculations, and even then they were only 1 or 2 marks.

The physics exams have changed since I have done it, and it HAS become more 'english based'
and my point is that an extended response does not make your physics exam an ENGLISH one.

ENGLISH IS ABOUT ANALYSING TEXTS.

it is english-based in the sense you have to write essays/responses.

that does not = "hiding english in other subjects"

i don't care how much you have to write, 90% of subjects require you to write an extended response.

that doesn;'t have anything to do with English. (the subject)

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah, thats exactly what i was saying. like i'm sorry that they can't just do calculations anymore, thats a bummer and all, but dont carry on about hiding english in other subjects..., thats just deluded.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
gosh

7 pages and yet we still cant accept english as compulsory... :|

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Dont read too much into my sentence "hiding english in other subjects" its just an expression which in my opinion means that subjects are becomming more english based! phyics is now a pussy subject! "there is nothing to sink your teeth into" this is exactly right! that article is true. i think its a shame that physics has gone from being scientific and involving calculations to just writing out tedious responses! thats wat im saying! Nothing about the language cause we speak the language! i can accept that english is compulsory but i dont think it fair!

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
ALL IM SAYING IS THAT PHYSICS IS NOW MORE ENGLISH BASED understand?

There is still a question that ppl havent answered, spin spin sugar, girl04, cro angel .. do u do physics?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
/me has already pointed that he hasnt done physics and as such will remain with the original discussion :)

/edit/

actually i dropped out of physics and still found it pretty maths based :\ maybe it was just me but i suck at maths haha

therefore : maths+asylum=screwed :)

see why cant we do that ? best of both worlds hehe

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
Using an english exam as the example is simply showing the TYPE of responses in the physics exam. You don't see many calculations in an english exam do you? It's just an exaggeration. You all know what that is don't you ;)

"The history, politics of science and contextual discussions introduced into the HSC course have been at the expense of analytical reasoning and mathematical rigour"
In my case at Caringbah High this is also evident, and this is the point that mazza is trying to get across. mazza?

Last edited:

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
i think everyone has questioned this and i dont think we'll ever get an answer... i didnt mind english as much in my senior years as i did earlier on. in fact i quite enjoyed it. if you try to enjoy it it wont be so bad

picaresque

HSC
So the argument is now about how much the physics syllabus SUCKS and has been WATERED DOWN, since we all agree that English as a subject is relevant?

Because on that point, I totally agree. However, show me a subject syllabus which is NOT screwed. There are threads in this very forum which prove that people who do not even READ THEIR ENGLISH TEXTS ARE GAINING BAND 6. I think this proves that ENGLISH is also being screwed up so that mathematical/science minded people can excel in it through loop-holes and standardised answers/memorised essays.

What does this prove? That although your complaint about Physics etc is a valid one, it can also be applied to all subjects, including humanities based ones.

In conclusion: all syllabuses cater to a standard of education which degrads the subject. So, can we please stop complaining about the ruin of Physics by english, when English has also been ruined? Thank you.

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
thankyou Brett yeah thats wat i mean ... smeh im tired of this debate maybe we can cease? this debate will never end! its just another debate on which is better maths/science or english/arts! It will go on forever.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
thankyou Brett yeah thats wat i mean ... smeh im tired of this debate maybe we can cease? this debate will never end! its just another debate on which is better maths/science or english/arts! It will go on forever.

not forever...just until one wipes the other out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)