• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Has Anyone Questioned the Fact that.. (1 Viewer)

ND

HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
not forever...just until one wipes the other out
You english people wouldn't stand a chance against science. What are you gonna do, bore us to death with shakespeare? :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
lol....shakespeare hahhaha

hell no, he is a pussy!!

wait till we make you recite the entire canterbury tales !!

followed by an exploration of the wonders of post modernism and see how it affects contemporary society...

then we'll laugh as your brains explode trying to justify science as a relevant and factual reality which is forever right :)

ND

HSC
You won't get that far; we'll already have wasted you with our atom-splitting capabilities. :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
haha atoms....

you dont have the ability to totally destroy...we will just resurface within the metaphysica world!! take that :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
haha atoms....

you dont have the ability to totally destroy...we will just resurface within the metaphysica world!! take that :)
But considering brain function is just a whole lot of electrical charges, without atoms carrying those charges how would you think? *We are getting sadder by the day.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Xayma
But considering brain function is just a whole lot of electrical charges, without atoms carrying those charges how would you think? *We are getting sadder by the day.

ah but my friend that is the beauty of the metaphysical...we can transcend both time and reality as well as physical entity and science itself :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well since communication cannot be achieved in this realm without science we would not be able to recieve any communication from the metaphysical which would suit us just fine.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
The 'English' forces also have a valuable advantage; Textual Analysis. With this handy skill, we could manage to deflect any and all attempted attacks by noting relevant points about them, quoting each attack, and ultimately coming to understand them. (Possibly using Deconstructionist techniques even..) With this invaluable knowledge, the force is effectively blunted, being understood.

Additionally, Science often operates on the concrete level, which could then be brought into doubt through copious quantities of Post-Modern thought.

Is that equation really correct, or is it merely a contextually-derived, subjective value judgement? Indeed, perhaps other interpretations are of much, if not more value. How about the ever-changing nature of Science, as briefly related in the essay 'Peirce's Concept Of The Sign'?. Hmmmm...

Anyway, when not exploited, English/Humanities are about multiple correct answers, which gives more options beyond scientific laws...Not that I'm a 'Oh The Humanities!' person , no.. :rolleyes:

Classic

Wow ... this has been an extremely interesting discussion.
On the one hand, I feel sorry for mathematically minded people who despise and can't handle english. If maths were to become compuslory, I would have given up at the start. However, on the other hand, complaints on this level are not well justified as it is true that maths / science subjects scale much higher than english subjects - it would appear that the BOS has compensated for the troubles scientific people have encountered whilst under taking the english course. One may argue (as many have in this discussion) that english should not be compulsory in the first place in order to avoid this conflict, however I disagree as it is true that English as a subject is extremely beneficial to expressing one self during life, be it through written or spoken word. This course also attempts to give each student a clearer understanding of the world around us, eg. 'Telling the Truth' opened my eyes up to the media. I will never read an article or watch the news in the same way again! Not only this, but the jewels of literature that exist in this world are amazing - they not only provide us with a history to our world and its people, and open our eyes to numerous possibilities but are works of art, facinating, wonderful and readily available. The English course aims to give us an in-depth understanding of these texts whilst allowing us freedom and experience in interpretting each work in our own unique and individual way. This may also enable each person to discover something about themselves that they may not have known before. It is invaluable! Not only this, but the Senior English course refined each student's skills in expressing themselves - extremely important as a life skill. Although Maths is extremely valuable to many - it is not to all, and I know for myself, that I will never use integration again, nor find a need for it in my chosen field, whereas the skills learnt in the english course are applicable to all fields in different ways. The skills are there for life! Never forget it. Count your blessings! :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i think you answered your own question

is a roflcopter
HSC
ummm
Originally posted by freaking_out
but why does it have to b included in the uai?
because...

thats what pisses us off!

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
well maths is important as well, so why isn't it in the compulsory list? also, the important english is what we learnt in year 10!
hmm
ok you still havent got it if you still think that the english your learnt in year ten was the important part, if anything it should be maths there not english...

seriously who is going to use imaginary numbers, the pythagorean theorem and other assorted equations and rules in their everyday life ?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
...seriously who is going to use imaginary numbers, the pythagorean theorem and other assorted equations and rules in their everyday life ?
these things prepare u for tertiary studies! thats why a lot of the maths are prerequisites for many uni. courses! but like maths english shuld not b compulsory- or both shuld b compulsory!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
these things prepare u for tertiary studies! thats why a lot of the maths are prerequisites for many uni. courses! but like maths english shuld not b compulsory- or both shuld b compulsory!
maths prerequisites for many courses????

bwhahhhahahhaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)