Have no notes, no idea how to study , trials just around the corner (1 Viewer)

ivanganjee

HSC
im getting stressed out from the lack of efficiency i have whilst "studying" all i do is surf the web. my lack of organisation skills are horrible. everything is everywhere, im pretty motivated to make a change and get as much study as i can in before trials (in 2 weeks). any tips on how to get right into studying as fast as possible? i feel like if i go and start making notes from now i wont have enough time from now until trials start.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I crammed pretty badly in the last 2 weeks before the trials.

I survived by getting notes off here and briefly going over each syllabus dot point. I did as many practice questions as I could in the limited time frame I had. I wrote generic essays for english (which I had to miraculously adapt on the day).

I can't say this will work for science or math, but it definitely worked for my humanity based subs.

ivanganjee

HSC
so youre saying i should learn the content by reading over notes for my subjects such as business studies, SOR and PDHPE and then test myself through past papers?

for english should i make key points for each essays and learn my creative?

what should i do for general maths?

Machiavelli1

HSC
so youre saying i should learn the content by reading over notes for my subjects such as business studies, SOR and PDHPE and then test myself through past papers?

For maths just do past paper. Those are good approaches for humanities and english

ACI

HSC
Don't just write out notes again for dot point subjects like business. Use flash cards instead. Anything that you can convert to bite sized pieces of info for any of your subjects would be good for you to turn into flashcards. You can use them for definitions, quotes, formulas, statistics, memorising your syllabus etc. Do at least on session per day for a maximum of 20 mins per session.
These are quicker to make and also improve your memory faster than just writing our notes is.

If you are visual learner, include pictures, diagrams or colour coding to help you memorise. If you are an auditory learner read them out loud and repeat your answers out loud as well because hearing it will help your recall these responses in your exam. If you are a kinesthetic learner, the act of making these cards will help as well as just practicing them. You could also record your notes and put them on your ipod so you can listen to them when you are at the gym or doing some other kind of exercise.

For maths, you really just need to practice. If you want some more advice specific to your learning style and your situation feel free to PM me :)

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think there is any advice anybody can give you.

You seem to be looking for a short cut. You should've realised long ago there wasn't one for trials preparation, you've just got to practice.

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
say gg to HSC

most subjects like maths you don't really need notes but rather just need to learn it in the first place and then do past papers and make sure you know it rather than have gaps in your knowledge

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC

That's what worked for me.

I could only really consolidate what I've learned/read by doing practice questions. I also had a habit of talking to myself, trying to make sense of concepts and what not.

So if you're really struggling on getting into the swing of studying, yes, do past papers. You've got a really limited time period.

English I wrote generic essays then broke them down to to essay scaffolds, so yes, digestible dot points are a good place to start.

Maths you need to practice. That's all it comes down to. After the trials- determine your weaknesses and really work on them so you're prepared for the HSC.

iStudent

HSC
Consider finding notes online rather than making your own (or from a friend). Making your notes now isn't time efficient and you're better off using some else's.

Verify

HSC
There is no shortcut. So unless you study 24/7 from now till trials you're pretty damn screwed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)