Having a hard time staying positive-tips on stress management? (1 Viewer)

iopse

HSC
N/A
I find it very hard to keep positive after an assessment. It seems that I always think about where I messed up, although I know it is useless to dwell on it, I can't help it.
I had a maths exam weighted 25% today, and I feel like I messed it up.
Do you have any tips on not stressing before/after an exam?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Learn from your mistakes and work smarter and harder

sarahdono101

HSC
I think you shouldn't worry to much about it. As for anxiety before an exam i think it is always best to start studying the moment you get an assessment sheet, just to know that you are prepared for it. If you blank out like me, as i have major anxiety before and after a test. Maybe try a rescue remedy it comes in both a liquid, tablet and a chewy lollie, it very much helps me and my stress levels. :)

leehuan

HSC
I stressed heaps after my physics and chemistry HSC exam and I got reported a 93 for them anyway.

Stress before an exam can be related to two things though: Exam preparation, and extrinsic factors. There are too many extrinsic factors to deal with all at once, and if that matches your criteria then you have to state what. However I have found that the more I prepared for the exams (difference between half yearlies, trials and HSC exam being that significant) the less I stressed before an exam.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I don't think about my exam that much after I have done it or dwell on it for too long. Why? Because I got another exam the next hour (or day) and can't hinder my performance in that as well.

bineal

HSC
if u stress out ur brains farting out cortisol and this shit stunts ur growth and they damage ur chromosomes

u will literally become a stunted manlet retard if u stress out and u will expire gracelessly at age 65 from a heart problem

enjoy your day xd

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Think of things you enjoy in life and the things that you are thankful for...

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly, you're not alone. A lot of students have some degree of performance anxiety. For assessment tasks or studying for an exam, break it up into smaller goals, write a list and tick it off as you go (e.g. gather quotations for essay, do practice multiple choice quiz for maths). This helps me in particular as it keeps me motivated and feels like I am achieving something.

Don't forget to have breaks or you will burn yourself out. Have an outlet or hobby you enjoy (e.g. reading, sports) and schedule a dedicated time to do this activity each day. It doesn't matter if it's a half hour, an hour or whatever - you know it is YOUR time where you can just recollect yourself. I know you've probably heard it a million times, but it is so important to get plenty of sleep, especially the night before an exam. Do the majority of your study a couple of nights before and use the day before to revise your notes.

In my experience, it is not a good idea to read your notes over and over before bed as it'll keep you alert and it's quite anxiety provoking - what you don't know the night before an exam you won't learn overnight.

In terms of failure. It's most beneficial to seek feedback on how you can improve. Also, commend yourself that you just got through it. Don't be too harsh on yourself. Talk with your friends and you'll realise they're probably feeling the same way you do.

Best of luck!

HSCReady

HSC
Hi there!

I totally know how you feel. I was the exact same with my assessments or exams leading up to year 12. It can be frustrating when you study for an exam or assessment and you feel like you didn't perform as well as you'd like. I can assure you that so many people are in the exact same boat as you. What I did to help was to basically surround myself with things that made me happy whenever I was studying or doing homework. Scented candles, drinking coffee, listening to music, watching my favourite movie all kind of fall into my list of best things to do when you're not all that motivated to study. Any kind of break from study will help you re-energise and come back fresh to study.

The best thing I told myself after I did any kind of assessment or exam (and I still tell myself this in uni!) is that I have done absolutely everything I can; and to simply wait for the marks to come. I know it's so much easier said than done, but basically if you come to realise that once you do an exam/assessment, it becomes physically out of your control, you will learn to be much calmer and stress - free afterwards. And better yet, if you have given everything you've got, and have put in 100% effort, then you should feel proud no matter what mark you get! Here's the way I see it; you could give 1000% of your effort, time and dedication to your HSC, and end up (hypothetically) with a 55 ATAR, when you were aiming for a 90. In this case, you should still be proud of yourself (IF you've given all your effort). I only say this because if you have really given all your effort, then there's nothing more you can really do. You'll just feel this amazing sense of accomplishment once you do any exam or assessment that you've given 100% of yourself in. This is true for anything in life though; give 100%, and no matter what happens, you've done your best and no one can ask any more of you. I know this sounds kind of cheesy, but it's so true!

As with tips before an exam, I always say to RELAX the day before. Casually read your notes (don't cram!) the day before so your brain can relax in preparation for the exam. Have a great sleep and a hearty breakfast on exam day and plenty of water and exercise in the days leading up to it. Taking care of yourself physically and mentally will ensure you can give 100% on exam day.

As with tips AFTER the exam/assessment, the one thing I'd say is treat yourself to something to reward yourself! The very things that motivate us can also reward us, so even if you feel like you might not have done as well as you like, reward yourself with something just for going through the assessment/exam and coming out on top.

In the end, HSC isn't everything, and I guarantee you at some point everyone in the HSC will feel like they screwed up. The important thing is to do your best, and surround yourself with positive vibes.

Best of luck with everything! :)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Pretend your stress doesn't exist and accept the fact that you will have a few nervous breakdowns

100% success rate

Source: me

just kidding (or am I? ... ) but for reals I find meditation really helps me. Try to get maybe 15 mins a day at least, and take a moment during the reading time of exams to calm down and do some breathing exercises.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)