HAY GUYS! The Unions are sick of small crowds (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll save my personal feelings on the majority of Arts/Law students :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Minai said:
But you can't argue that he was correct for the majority of commerce, engineering/science students.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Minai said:
What? Arrogant, pretentious, stuck-up, "progressive" thinkers? It's amazing the derision quite a few law students seem to have for disciplines other than their own. Asqy's attitude isn't a reflection of university tribalism, it's just down right dirty - and I've seen it from so many "worldly" arts/law students. I can see why you're friend would prefer her "grunting engineer" friend over a more pretentious, liberal "thinker" Asqy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hmm seems USYD union are providing food and comedians tomorrow. People who don't care one way or the other are gonna end up going for a bit of fun, which shouldn't be happening.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
What? Arrogant, pretentious, stuck-up, "progressive" thinkers? It's amazing the derision quite a few law students seem to have for disciplines other than their own. Asqy's attitude isn't a reflection of university tribalism, it's just down right dirty - and I've seen it from so many "worldly" arts/law students. I can see why you're friend would prefer her "grunting engineer" friend over a more pretentious, liberal "thinker" Asqy.
Have to put my foot down here neo! The only reason asq, myself, laz and many other non-commerce law students get somewhat irritated with com/law ppl is that often (it's a generalisation, yes, but there are a lot who do fit the stereotype), com law students don't really seem interested in the law side of their degree. You go up to them after class and go, "Hey, so what did you think about the juries taking over sentencing, I think it's a pretty dangerous idea." And you're met with "Is that going to be in the exam?"

I mean it's just annoying when you know some ppl do the degree for their resume - they do it to bolster their job prospects with their accounting firms or what not but they have little to no interest in the law itself. Of course those are noble fields, that's nothing to do with it -- it's kind of like taking up spots for people who are seriously passionate about the law, you know what I mean? Anyway, arts/law students (and sci/law students) tend to be much more interested in it all. Again, it's a generalisation but doing politics, philosophy, psychology, history, sociology international relations, english -- all these things DO lead to a much more cultured appreciation of the law and a much wider perspective of society (which is what law is all about) rather than just what will get you a job or what will be examinable.

Alright end of rant.

And for the record Minai does not fit the stereotype

Asquithian said:
unsw law boys are not exactly quality
Speak for yourself! I told you I workout :p

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Wouldn't you be better off with a postgraduate degree in commerce than comm/law anyway?
EDIT: If you're interested in only the commerce side of things.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Wouldn't you be better off with a postgraduate degree in commerce than comm/law anyway?
EDIT: If you're interested in only the commerce side of things.
You'd think so, but my first foundations of law research class was a prime example of what moonlight said. Practically everyone was comm/law (I'm arts/law), and we were going around the class saying our names and our courses. they were all like, "I don't really like law at the moment, too much reading...I'm not really interested in law...I'm more interested in commerce..."

Too much reading? What were they expecting?

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
yes, i completely agree, cos i'm doing contracts and public law too, and the readings there can be quite heavy. prue vines' textbook has NOTHING on those subjects.

good luck to them surviving the next 3 years

i'm not saying comm/law ppl are horrible, but i think too many are misguided in thinking they HAVE to do law so they look good

Sarah

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Have to put my foot down here neo! The only reason asq, myself, laz and many other non-commerce law students get somewhat irritated with com/law ppl is that often (it's a generalisation, yes, but there are a lot who do fit the stereotype), com law students don't really seem interested in the law side of their degree. You go up to them after class and go, "Hey, so what did you think about the juries taking over sentencing, I think it's a pretty dangerous idea." And you're met with "Is that going to be in the exam?"

I mean it's just annoying when you know some ppl do the degree for their resume - they do it to bolster their job prospects with their accounting firms or what not but they have little to no interest in the law itself. Of course those are noble fields, that's nothing to do with it -- it's kind of like taking up spots for people who are seriously passionate about the law, you know what I mean? Anyway, arts/law students (and sci/law students) tend to be much more interested in it all. Again, it's a generalisation but doing politics, philosophy, psychology, history, sociology international relations, english -- all these things DO lead to a much more cultured appreciation of the law and a much wider perspective of society (which is what law is all about) rather than just what will get you a job or what will be examinable.

Alright end of rant.
Just don't hang out/assoicate with them. That's the approach i've taken when it comes to the majority of commerce ppl.

MoonlightSonata said:
And for the record Minai does not fit the stereotype
Lol... agree with u there!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I'll defend myself by saying I do a Business Law major and am also interested in the law despite not even being a law student. I think it helps with critical thinking much more than writing up financial statements. Right now in Tax we're looking at Tuesday's High Court decision in Stone v FC of T and the ramifications this (in my view outrageous) decision will have upon amateur sportspersons.

And a common misconception certain com/law people have is that their "law" degree will advantage them in going for their accounting job - nah not really - having gone through the whole interview process and knowing about how these firms really work - essentially, com/law students will be 2 years behind on the corporate ladder.

Rorix

HSC
I'm a comm/law person.

I am more interested in law than in commerce at the moment.

I do not find the reading excessive.

I have an interest in philosophy and psychology.

I have no interests in a job in accounting and find it extremely boring.

I do not love Kirby J. I note that the majority of arts/law students do love Kirby J.

I also agree that the majority of commerce/law students have a reduced comparitive interest in law. Perhaps it's because, unlike arts/law students, they know they can get a job with their other degree :p.

Rorix

HSC
At least the folks down at Centrelink will get to know you if law doesn't work out :)

:p

edit: I thought Butt Land Law was a joke about usyd until I googled searched and found out it existed:(. I don't know what text they use, I'm just a lowly first year.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
There was a story in the paper around when we were getting our uai's and uni choices, and she had completed a B Commerce/ B Laws at Usyd and didn't have a job :O

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Has anyone sat down and done the math. I did, on food alone I save over $200 a year, might even be close to $250 or so in subsidisation. And that is food alone. Considering the GSF I pay that is pretty good. And I have not yet factore din everything else I use.

Let's see . Say someone get's twenty roots a year that's $20 at least saved on condoms. Should you knock your girl friend up at least child care exists to save your heaps on babysitters etc and allow you to complete your degree.

It's the little things you save money on. There are a lot of things which Unions fund that are probably never realised and won't be until after the reforms happen.

When your uni life dies, remember it at election time.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Why don't you buy food from the supermarket and save a shitload? I'd also like to know if you've factored in that you will be saving (in the case of usyd) 600 a year.

Many people have done the math.

K

katie_tully

Not-That-Bright said:
Why don't you buy food from the supermarket and save a shitload? I'd also like to know if you've factored in that you will be saving (in the case of usyd) 600 a year.

Many people have done the math.
OMG but where is the social interaction if you're not eating the subsidised food at uni??!?!?!?!?!
You rightist bastard, you're effectively killing the lefties and their social interaction.

What's this? Buy. Groceries. Cook. Own. Food. Save. Shitloads?

Don't be silly, lad.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
But saving money is ripping of teh good union peoples and robbing the chess club of their money :'(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)