HD average in law (1 Viewer)

Left-ism

HSC
How hard is this to achieve? Maybe not at usyd but say UWS or Macq? Do you know anyone with a HD avg in law. Or is this generally deemed near impossible :|

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
HD average in any field is pretty hard...but not impossible
i gues the only way to achieve a HD in law or medicine or engineering etc requires hard work

HSC
Law isn't rocket science..

It's about the markers "mind set". So you could be doing an arts degree, but if the marker doesn't think you're "arty" enough, you won't get a HD.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Left-ism said:
How hard is this to achieve? Maybe not at usyd but say UWS or Macq? Do you know anyone with a HD avg in law. Or is this generally deemed near impossible :|
i've got two words for you: David Hume.

UNSW Law HD average (HDs in all in all subjects except for a D in foundations). Honours in BA Philosophy. Former Source (Student Union) president. Awesome debater. Gleeson CJ's next associate.

for us mere mortals, just heads down, thumbs up and study hard. be happy with whatever mark you get.

volition

arr.
HSC
Frigid said:
i've got two words for you: David Hume.

UNSW Law HD average (HDs in all in all subjects except for a D in foundations). Honours in BA Philosophy. Former Source (Student Union) president. Awesome debater. Gleeson CJ's next associate.

for us mere mortals, just heads down, thumbs up and study hard. be happy with whatever mark you get.
David Hume who went to Waverley College? Has red hair? He went to my school, few years above me though.

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Left-ism said:
Seriously, while it's not impossible, it's pretty friggin rediculously difficult. Even the people who go close end up getting 6.9something because they "bomb out" in 1, 2 or 3 subjects and get a 6.

I think 2 or 3 people at my uni had got all but 1 HDs, but noone had ever pitched a perfect game.

I rekon there'd only be a handful of people in Australia who have actually done it.

But besides that - sif you would. Uni's about getting drunk and having fun.

Left-ism

HSC
BillytheFIsh said:
Seriously, while it's not impossible, it's pretty friggin rediculously difficult. Even the people who go close end up getting 6.9something because they "bomb out" in 1, 2 or 3 subjects and get a 6.

I think 2 or 3 people at my uni had got all but 1 HDs, but noone had ever pitched a perfect game.

I rekon there'd only be a handful of people in Australia who have actually done it.

But besides that - sif you would. Uni's about getting drunk and having fun.
well i only intend to get it in my first yr and make a transfer. sorry i shouldve stated the question differently. how hard is it to get a HD average in 1st yr law.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Left-ism said:
well i only intend to get it in my first yr and make a transfer. sorry i shouldve stated the question differently. how hard is it to get a HD average in 1st yr law.
It is very hard to get an HD average -- even in first year.

If you're at UNSW or USYD you will only be doing 2 law subjects in your first year of law and it will probably be easier to gain HDs in your other subjects. But even so, gaining HDs at university in any faculty is a very difficult task.
volition said:
David Hume who went to Waverley College? Has red hair? He went to my school, few years above me though.
That's him.

PS. Frigid you forgot University Medal in Arts. I find it amusing he did his Honours thesis on (the philosopher) David Hume :p

Captain� Obvious said:
Law isn't rocket science..
True, studying law is not rocket science, but it is not easy. Moreover it requires a certain frame of mind that can make it difficult for people to understand it.
Captain� Obvious said:
It's about the markers "mind set". So you could be doing an arts degree, but if the marker doesn't think you're "arty" enough, you won't get a HD.
Fortunately, that is not the way law is marked.

Left-ism

HSC
I presume itd be easier to get it at a 'lesser' university,such as uws? Simply because of the reduced level of competition. Im gonna be doing graduate law actually. But want to make the transfer to Usyd or UNSW.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Left-ism said:
I presume itd be easier to get it at a 'lesser' university,such as uws? Simply because of the reduced level of competition. Im gonna be doing graduate law actually. But want to make the transfer to Usyd or UNSW.
Generally law subjects are bell curved, and you'll find that to get a HD you need to be in top 2% or so of your year group. Even at universities like UWS the top group of students in law would be very capable. Work hard and see what you get, but don't expect to even get one high distinction.

HSC
Too bad in Extention units it's E4, E3, E2... not, Band 6, Band 5... :rolleyes:

I suppose going to a "lesser" university makes you forget small things like that.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Left-ism said:
Whether it is easier to achieve an HD at UWS, as opposed to USYD/UNSW, is definietly arguable. As neo o stated, only an extremely small proportion of the cohort receive an HD for any particular unit. So just because UWS has a lower UAI cut-off (i.e. a lower minimum mark required for entry), does not at all mean, as neo o also eluded to, that the students who constitute that top 1-2% are not as equally competent as those at USYD/UNSW. Further, it is quite possible that such students themselves received UAIs of 98-99+. These are the individuals you will be competing with for HDs, and so the quality of the rest of the student body, I would imagine, is largely irrelevant.

Interestingly, some actually argue that it is more difficult to achieve an HD at UWS than it is at USYD/UNSW. Although I cannot entertain such an assertion as I have no proof, it has been suggested that:

Jonathan A said:
A HD from UWS is worth more than a HD from a sandstone uni (in law at least). The top unis (as in their students think they are) are giving more HDs out to compete with each other - knowing top firms go for people with higher GPAs. It's very unfortunate. Our uni is pretty fair on this front.

Left-ism

HSC
Captain� Obvious said:
Too bad in Extention units it's E4, E3, E2... not, Band 6, Band 5... :rolleyes:

I suppose going to a "lesser" university makes you forget small things like that.
lol yes. give me a break. it was 3 years ago!

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Left-ism said:
if they do give out more HDs at Usyd/Unsw then what you say maybe true. But you honestly think the top students at UWS will be as good as those at USYD? Might I add, I'm currently at Usyd and the general consensus is that its pretty hard to get high marks here.
It is difficult for me to say. But even if I were to concede that the very best at USYD are better than the very best at UWS, I doubt the difference would be so significant (for the abovementioned reasons) as to make any material difference to your chances of receiving an HD.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Left-ism, you should be aware that you cannot transfer to UNSW or USyd with any more than 1 year of university study. That is, you can only transfer at the end of your first year of uni. After that, you can't. Both law faculties do not allow it. So you can't transfer from USyd, to UWS law, to USyd/UNSW law.

= Jennifer =

HSC
In the end i really do not think the university makes a difference because we all have to learn the same law if you go to usyd or uws you learn the same they do not teach some special law at another university.

Further, I do acknowledge that maybe at university of sydney the students would be more dedicated to their work. But on the whole, if the student is willing and dedicated to their studies it does not matter what uni. On this point, in the end we all end up at the college of law anyways :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
= Jennifer = said:
On this point, in the end we all end up at the college of law anyways :p
i don't intend to 'end up' in collaw for the rest of my life. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)