HD average in law (1 Viewer)

Left-ism

HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Left-ism, you should be aware that you cannot transfer to UNSW or USyd with any more than 1 year of university study. That is, you can only transfer at the end of your first year of uni. After that, you can't. Both law faculties do not allow it. So you can't transfer from USyd, to UWS law, to USyd/UNSW law.

yup i know. well i intend to finish one year of law at UWS and then maybe transfer.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Left-ism said:
yup i know. well i intend to finish one year of law at UWS and then maybe transfer.
If I understand MS correctly, you cannot do more than one year of university study. So if you've already completed a year (or more), and then study for a year at UWS, even though you may have only done one year's study of law, you've still done more than one year of university study.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Left-ism: unfortunately you can't do that because graduate law is for graduates. That is, you have to have completed a degree to gain entry to graduate law. Unless you have completed a degree already, you are an undergraduate.

Left-ism

HSC
ok you cant transfer from 2nd year got it.

Last edited:

magic

HSC
UWS grad law has 4 subjects a semester, while USYD grad law has 3. Will this affect the one year full time equivalent requirement? i.e. you would have done more than one year of USYD equivalent, is it still OK?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Left-ism said:
I will have finished a commerce degree from usyd by the end of this yr. after that i will be goin to UWS to do grad law and then hopefully transfer to usyd grad law. thats one option anyway. tell me if thats legal :p
Ah that's fine then :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
neo o said:
Generally law subjects are bell curved, and you'll find that to get a HD you need to be in top 2% or so of your year group. Even at universities like UWS the top group of students in law would be very capable. Work hard and see what you get, but don't expect to even get one high distinction.
I am a first year at UWS and let me tell you, I figured it would be easy to get a HD average, its not at all, its not impossible and people do it but its harder than it sounds. I am currently running an annoyingly high credit average (like 74.3%) for each law subject, when you get 29.75/40 you learn its not so easy, but i heard first year is when you get your lower marks. Yes the students may not be the smartest but the top group are very hard working :)

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
It's tough at USyd. I got 84 in Foundations, and according to my tutor that mark was the 3rd best of her two classes (which would comprise about 50 students).
This semester I look set to barely scrape a distinction for Torts, because it's the most horribly boring and uninteresting subject ever.

I think next year I'll focus a lot more on my Law subjects; I've really been neglecting them in favour of my Arts units.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
agentprovocater said:
ok cool thnx, but wat r their reasons?
im guessing ur at UNSW?
They are quite strict about it. My guess is that to award you with a UNSW law degree they want you to have completed virtually all of your studies there. Any more than one year elsewhere is unacceptable.

It would be like completing 4.5 years at Gold Coast Uni or something and then transferring to USyd for the last half year, so as to graduate with a USyd law degree. They won't have that. (I'm not referring to your particular situation, just their likely motivation for putting in such restrictions.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)