HD Average (1 Viewer)

Existentialism

HSC
N/A
How difficult would you deem maintaining a HD average in Medical Science at UNSW?

For first year, second, third, and so forth / overall.

Generalisations are fine, but obviously responses from actual Med. Sci. students would help.

Scale; 1 - 10 (increasing difficulty).

Any help would be appreciated.

HSC
N/A
heard its pretty easy because there isn't much competition after you get in. Its only really really hard to get in. Once in its a breeze.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
How difficult would you deem maintaining a HD average in Medical Science at UNSW?

For first year, second, third, and so forth / overall.

Generalisations are fine, but obviously responses from actual Med. Sci. students would help.

Scale; 1 - 10 (increasing difficulty).

Any help would be appreciated.
Let me guess.

You want to transfer into med and hence you want a HD average ?

If Med Science dudes do similar courses as Science people then its not a matter of "difficulty" rather if you spend a lot of time revising and studying, you will get your HD average.

Tim035

HSC
I'm 3rd year Med Sci with a weighted average mark of 83 (85+ is high distinction). I was in the top 15 in the course and made the interviews for the lateral transfer in to medicine (which I failed :( ). It is definately possibly, but be prepared for 3 years of dam hard work and dam little social life. There's nothing super difficult conceptually or any crazy formulas that an engineering student might encounter. It's mainly just volume and the Mass amount of information you need to not only internalize but be able to apply to a theoretical problem or situation.

In terms of a scale I would honestely say:
Difficulty - 7/10
Endurance and effort- 10/10
Whether you are enjoying the course will also make a huge difference; although 1st year is dull, broad spectrum science that you just have to surmount.

To be truthfully honest as well, I'm losing sleep at the moment as to where on earth employment is going to come from following graduation and really wish I'd done undergraduate pharmacy at Sydney uni.

EdmondDW

HSC
heard its pretty easy because there isn't much competition after you get in. Its only really really hard to get in. Once in its a breeze.
So can u show ur academic transcript to us...since u r such a genius...

If u never get a HD average, how can u say it is easy, or even PRETTY easy...

I studied pretty hard with little social life, even at this moment, I am still writing my report...damn...doing science major means u will lose the opportunities of well sleep for the whole four years...!!!!

HSC
N/A
Mate if you can't smell the stench of sarcasm in my post you probably shouldn't be at uni. At least the OP realized i was being sarcastic.

How is it my fault that you have no social life and are still writing your report? Try not to take out your tribulations on some stranger on a forum that was being sarcastic ok?

'doing science major means u will lose the opportunities of well sleep for the whole four years...!!!!' -

I'm so sorry if my sarcasm compounded your insomnia.

Last edited:

EdmondDW

HSC
Mate if you can't smell the stench of sarcasm in my post you probably shouldn't be at uni. At least the OP realized i was being sarcastic.

How is it my fault that you have no social life and are still writing your report? Try not to take out your tribulations on some stranger on a forum that was being sarcastic ok?

'doing science major means u will lose the opportunities of well sleep for the whole four years...!!!!' -

I'm so sorry if my sarcasm compounded your insomnia.
Sorry for that, mate~I really dont know ur post is a sarcasm, and thought u r just another cocky guy...

And all my complaints r not for u...just for a damn crazy subject...

HSC
N/A
LOL no problem i can't believe you didn't sense the sarcasm.

I'm not sure if your being sarcastic now.

good luck with adv science and your report.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I have to agree with Tim and Edmond. You won't find many HD average people out there in Medical Science (and just science in general with a medically related major).

Just to put in it to context, every year the Faculty of Science produces a "Dean's List", consisiting of the Top ~50 students for that single year (apparently it's a HD average with no subjects under 80). I only saw less than 3-4 MedSc students there that year. Anyway, a HD average is achievable with hard work and determination.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
To be truthfully honest as well, I'm losing sleep at the moment as to where on earth employment is going to come from following graduation and really wish I'd done undergraduate pharmacy at Sydney uni.
Ever considered a research/academic career?

Tim035

HSC
Ever considered a research/academic career?
A little bit. I've 65% made up my mind that I will do honors in drug design next year; I've really enjoyed molecular pharmacology this semester, and if I find rationale drug design as fascinating I will almost certainly do honors. Some of the projects I've looked at seem interesting, but then I feel really bad as I question whether I could work under that proffesor for a year lol.

Out of interest, how hard is it to finance a PHD? Perceivably, scholarships aren't given out like candy.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Out of interest, how hard is it to finance a PHD? Perceivably, scholarships aren't given out like candy.
Most people doing PhD are on some sort of scholarship. It's very unlikely someone will take up a PhD if they are not supported financially.

Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA)/University Postgraduate Awards (UPA) are given out to those with Class I Honours (They also take into account undergrad marks). You can survive with 20K.

The UNSW Research Excellence Awards (30K) are given out to Uni medallists.

EdmondDW

HSC
I have to agree with Tim and Edmond. You won't find many HD average people out there in Medical Science (and just science in general with a medically related major).

Just to put in it to context, every year the Faculty of Science produces a "Dean's List", consisiting of the Top ~50 students for that single year (apparently it's a HD average with no subjects under 80). I only saw less than 3-4 MedSc students there that year. Anyway, a HD average is achievable with hard work and determination.
damn...I got 74 for a shittest subject, no wonder I havent got into dean's list.....something must be wrong with my head when I enrolled in BIOS1301:burn:

joshuaali

HSC

Out of curiosity, you wouldn't happen to know where that list is published, would you?

The list for the ASB and Faculty of Law are published on their respective websites but I cannot locate the one for the Faculty of Science (in fact, I didn't even know they had one until you mentioned it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)