Heart of Darkness - Belonging (1 Viewer)

BRegs

HSC
Hi all,

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on using Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad as a related text for Belonging? Is it strong enough?

Thanks in advance.

Kittikhun

HSC
I have not read the book, but I have seen 'Apocalypse Now Redux', which is based on it. So on the film, I would say yes.

Reasons why as follows: The SF captain who always needs a mission and not feeling his true self when he doesn't have one, and his constant questioning of the value and truths of morality ('Getting a man for murder in a place like this. That's like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500'); the cohesion of the air assault soldiers in the assault on the VC held beach town, and the cohesion of the boat crew as they search for Kurtz (the bond of soldiers during times of war when their morality/humanity is challenged); the French plantation scene, where the plantation owner says that, 'this is our home. In World War Two, we lose; in Indochina, we lose; in Algeria, we lose; but here, Captain, we don't lose!'; and everything about Colonel Kurtz (the CIA wanting to kill him because he has apparently gone loony with his operations against the VC, starting up a whole army and a new philosophy). So, yeah. I would do the film instead of the book, since you can talk about the visuals too. The film is rich of quotes too, and can easily be copied and pasted from imdb, so no more sticky notes! Also, check out this scene from the film. It's really thought-provoking.

[youtube]rDK9MDklzFo[/youtube]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)