hello all! (1 Viewer)

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
okay you dont have to work in the wards, there are other things such as health promotion to get into.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
nursing ISN'T all blood, vomit & shit - but when you're a student you'd better get used to it because there's no getting out of it.
personally it doesn't faze me, and never has. the first day of prac i had i had to shower a lady who was faecally incontinent all the way to the bathroom. but i just chucked a towel down and cleaned it up on our journey forwards.

however if you're going to work in mental health, for example, you're not dealing with that sort of thing. just don't get wussy about giving IM injections with them long, long needles, heh.

ultimately you just have to like PEOPLE. every though many people are idiots. particularly pts families.

dora_18

HSC
haha i love needles...theyre fun....i used to go to my gp for blood tests just so i could get that long needled jabbed into my arm...ok now i sound sadistic...anyway

i was thinking that considering i want to work in midwifery anyway that id go straight into the B Midwifery....is it a popular course though? becuase i know that it only recently got introduced....
although...if you're a midwife before you become a RN can you do somekind of graduate diploma to become a RN...just like if you go into B nursing first you can graduate and as you work you do a graduate midwifery diploma...or would you have to do the course for a RN again...im asking becuase although i want to work as a midwife i might want to change my field sometime....although i doubt it...but still...

and whats the go with nursing practiioners??is it kinda of like higher level than a registered nurse/midwife...but not exactly a doctor?
and vodkacrumble....considering you're at the end of your course...do u know how much you'll be earning?do nursing practitioners earn more....im so confused!

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
dora_18 said:
i was thinking that considering i want to work in midwifery anyway that id go straight into the B Midwifery....is it a popular course though? becuase i know that it only recently got introduced....
there are only about 30 places per year, so it's very competitive. you have to submit a personal statement.

although...if you're a midwife before you become a RN can you do somekind of graduate diploma to become a RN...just like if you go into B nursing first you can graduate and as you work you do a graduate midwifery diploma...or would you have to do the course for a RN again...
you do a grad dip and work as a student midwife on a maternity ward. you get paid when you work and go to uni in your spare time. it's also pretty competitive, you have to first apply for a job through a hospital and then apply to a uni
personally i would rather do the B.Nursing first simply because then you have a basic degree behind you (a B.Midwifery student can't work as a 'normal' RN after graduating) and then you will get paid for your experience during the grad dip. B.Midwifery student are paid nothing, same as B.Nursing students.

and whats the go with nursing practiioners??is it kinda of like higher level than a registered nurse/midwife...but not exactly a doctor?
and vodkacrumble....considering you're at the end of your course...do u know how much you'll be earning?do nursing practitioners earn more....im so confused!
Nurse Practitioners can prescribe and order pathology & diagnostic tests. you need to do your Masters + have 5000 hours over 6 years prior to your application (that's 6 years full-time) + go to an interview + find somewhere that is looking for a NP.
they're paid about $80K

here is the nursing pay rates for NSW
RN1 gets $787.80pw ($41K). NP get $1571.00pw ($82K)

keep in mind that it's pretty easy to make another $5K+ a year in penalities when you get out of uni.

ellebelle21

HSC
hey vodkacrumble,

any news on that nursing dress? i really want it, lol and its my size:)

dora_18

HSC
ok cool...one more question..whats a nurse/midwife manager....

dora_18

HSC
i think that it..and as soon as i saw "NUM" now i know what it is....you're like in charge of the nurses in that particular section of the hospital yeh?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
dora_18 said:
i think that it..and as soon as i saw "NUM" now i know what it is....you're like in charge of the nurses in that particular section of the hospital yeh?
yep thats exactly what it is

num= nursing unit manager

upright

HSC
N/A
dora_18,

What do B. Health Science students do when they finish uni? Health Scientists?

trace7988

<3 <3
HSC
vodkacrumble said:
keep in mind that it's pretty easy to make another $5K+ a year in penalities when you get out of uni.
What do you mean by this? what sort of penalties? how does that work?

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
If there are people who still visit this thread....um I really really really want to be a nurse and I'm still in high school. I REALLY want to get into this uni soooooooo bad! I personally dont like needles being stuck into me... hate it in-fact but I dont mind it being done to other people... would this affect my studies at the uni?

upright

HSC
N/A
shanti96 said:
If there are people who still visit this thread....um I really really really want to be a nurse and I'm still in high school. I REALLY want to get into this uni soooooooo bad! I personally dont like needles being stuck into me... hate it in-fact but I dont mind it being done to other people... would this affect my studies at the uni?
Needles/vaccinations are a requirement for clinical/practical.

Clinical/Practical is a requirement for the course/subject.

So if you don't like needles being stuck in you...

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
Oh god. Im not petrified of them... its just... Im not in love with them. I guess the cervical cancer vaccinations we're getting now in high school [3 shots] is a desensitizer for whats to come.

HSC
yea i think i got like 7 vaccines/blood tests at the start of this yr ready for first cliincal.. so yea the 3 shots should be a good desensitiser lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)