Help choosing a topic for major work - much appriciated :) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi guys I just had my first extension lesson today and was told I had to come up with a topic to write my major work on over the weekend, a deadline much sooner than I anticipated. Just as an indicator, those that are currently doing the course of have done the course - what did you write your on? If its of any help I was thinking of doing something along the lines of Marxism.

Your feedback is much appreciated :)

_ebleigh

HSC
Hey, I was the only person in my class and I based mine on the Holocaust.
My question was "To what extent is the Holocaust represented in a modern society through film?"
It was really interesting what I found out and I got to watch three movies which I could fit into my busy schedule as my down time. Hope this helps :)

CaffeineMotor

HSC
Hey RunsWithScissors,

First and foremost find a topic you are passionate about. If you don't you will not enjoy the process one bit.
Secondly find something that has a large scope.
Three try and go against the grain a bit and go in depth on something that's not going to be overdone by the state aka holocaust etc. (No offence to those who did it, you can certainly still pull something amazing, but it's just so overdone and obvious).

Four - Get it done in Xmas holidays (I was warned by the year before me) I wish I had heeded their instructions. I finished on time but I certainly hated leaving it to near the end.

Five - It's worth 80% of your internal mark, pour your heart into this. Don't stress with it but follow a clear and concise structure and just go crazy on historiography, various factors and the interplay of differing schools of thought.

The topic I did is lengthy to explain, but my title should make it obvious.

“The Age of Enlightenment or the Fall of Inquiry: A study into the fall of the Middle Ages and how misconceptions shaped History’s supposed ‘Golden Age of Thinking”

Edit: Books, books and books. Yes you can have plenty of online sources, but book are your biggest friend. Go out and get some that cover your topic really indepth. I was lucky to find 2 books, each with a historian arguing opposite sides of my argument. Books like these will make your argument 1000x stronger, you'll be better read and your teacher will definitely appreciate the fact you put some effort into your research.

Last edited:

Mittens-

HSC
hey, i agree with CaffeineMotor, find a topic you are really interested in so you will be encouraged to stick with the project,
I also suggest you do a topic with a decent amount of sources to it and a debate as well, nothing will be harder than attempting to do your project without any evidence or sources - also if your topic is from a language other than english check if this will disadvantage you -

I did my own project on Catherine the Great, and the changing perspectives of her administrative and political leadership - and unfortunately couldn't get translations for all my sources

as it is an internally marked Major Project take on the advice of your teacher (to a degree) keep them happy with you and your project

i think Marx related could be great, especially as you study about it during historiography, so it could strengthen your understanding

once your question is finalised begin your research, and you'll want a variety of sources, begin in school library then local and if you can head into the state library - use the christmas break, mine was due in May and time just goes so quick

Kowther

HSC
I did "The Changing perceptions of Islam post-September 11". Do something you're interested in, and most importantly have fun with it :)

Just a word of advice, if you feel like you have no time, do part by part over a long period of time, or do it when youu have free time so you can check it and everything but don't be stupid like me and do it before the deadline where I rushed it. It was after trials too so that took away from my study time, so yeah.

nessanox

HSC
I did Mao Zedong based on an interest in communism, so if you wanted a Marxism focus: China, Russia, Cuba, Vietnam...? maybe major personalities or events related to communism in these nations?

gee-dee-enn95

HSC
Marxism would be a really good topic because it would tie in well with the Marxist historiography that you'll come across while preparing for Section I of the exam.

Choose something that you are really passionate about. Get as much of the project done as possible during the Christmas holidays otherwise it will come back to bite you later on. Do it bit by bit over a long period of time, as others have said. Use as wide a variety of sources as you can.

From my experience, the best projects, those that get the highest marks, are usually focused on the historiography of your chosen topic, rather than the actual history of it, if that makes any sense. Like how historical interpretations have changed over time, why have they changed, has history been used to serve a particular purpose, has history deliberately been distorted, etc.

Good luck!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)