Help Correct my Speech (1 Viewer)

HiHaii

HSC
Please Help Correct my Speech

Can you guys please read over my speech that I have done so far and check if there's any corrections to be made or improvements. My speech is based on physical journeys where I have to show how the text I chose are relevant to my Area of Study- The Journey. Mentions that I have to include catalysts, challenges and personal transformation.

Speech- Stand by My and Lionheart
So what is a physical journey? It is described as a movement from one place to another physically, but through our extensive knowledge and what the world brings us, we recognised a more profound way of explaining physical journeys. I found that physical journey involves the process of growth and development where the protagonist discovers new experiences, is challenged by coming across difficult obstacles, and to also gain insight. I have learnt different aspects of physical journeys that are illustrated through the 20th century film Stand by Me directed by Bob Reiner, and a autobiographical novel named Lionheart written by Jesse Martin. The concept of the journey commences with the catalyst that could be either positive or negative, then it’s exemplified through the challenges that is overcome later on, and then the transformation that reveals new characteristics within the protagonist. Through the two texts that I have chosen, I realised that the journey is more important than the destination where it is what you experience throughout the ride that is more significant.
The first concept I would like to discuss is the catalyst presented in the film Stand by Me. So what triggered the four boys Gordie, Chris, Teddy and Vern to depart home for the journey? What raise their interest that got them to make a huge sacrifice instead of living in their town to go on the journey? These are expressed in the beginning of the film where Vern, the prominent character in the catalyst sparked the three boys’ curiosities when he talked about finding the dead body, Ray Brower. This was illustrated in the flashback when Vern overheard his brother discussing about the dead body with his friend, from then on he quickly spread the information to his friends. Gordie’s reason for going on the journey was because of being ignored from his parents who was seemed not special in the family compared to his brother. As a result, he wanted to leave from his parents and travel with his friends to have a better life. Chris on the other hand is lifeless and has nothing to do at home and so would want to go on the destination to use his time more effectively. Teddy always wanted to seek adventure and have been waiting for this kind of moment to be able to explore to gain new insight.
The second concept, challenges that was illustrated through Gordie, Chris, Teddy and Vern brought many life changing experiences. Gordie encountered a ferocious dog named sickball who tried a chase him out of the junkyard. With his friend’s support, he rushed across the junkyard and managed to climb safely over the fence. Teddy was faced with an aggressive junkyard owner named Milo who was harassed about his mad father. This was also surmounted by his friend’s support, advising him not to go against Milo and should back off. Chris had to deal with being known as a criminal and how low his self-esteem was as he weeps and recalls the moment when he felt down. From this, Gordie recognised how he is not being optimistic and taught Chris how he should not feel this way. This was later exemplified by Gordie encouraging him to take advance classes and to push further across the boundaries. Another scene was when Vern realised that the train was close by, making his adrenaline rush where he had to crawl and sprint to the end of the train tracks, having support from Gordie motivating him to run harder along with Chris and Teddy’s screams of encouragement. From the title of the film ‘Stand by Me’, we noticed that throughout the story especially and challenges that it was a metaphor for the four boys being supportive to each other in harsh moments.
The third concept, transformation that was depicted in the ending of the film was brought through very intriguing where each of the boys changed their life significantly. Creative techniques adapted by the director where the bridge was used to explain the boys crossing from the childhood side to adulthood. Gordie mentions, “We had only been gone for two days but the town seems different, somewhat smaller” which implies that he has matured and grown up. Gordies became more mature and had different friends compared to his childhood years. Chris took Gordie’s advice of taking advance classes and became a lawyer. Teddy overcame his fear of the Cobra gang. He wanted to be in the army but was rejected because of hearing and vision problems. Vern also overcame the fear of the Cobra gang. He showed that he did not want to take the body home for fame but to show respect and pay his condolescence.
The second text Lionheart by Jesse Martin is very similar to Stand by Me in comparison. Both are on physical journeys but the process of Lionheart is more adventurous and therefore longer.
The catalyst depicted in Lionheart...

Last edited:

bouncing

HSC
Re: Please Help Correct my Speech

we recognised a more profound way of explaining physical journeys.
Hi im sorry i didnt read all of it, i dont know anything about these two texts but um that line that i put in bold sort of sounds weird..
perhaps you mean
"we have recognised a more profound way of explaining physical journeys"
or maybe
"we recognise... etc"

HiHaii

HSC
Re: Please Help Correct my Speech

thanks for your help
i aced the speech!
=)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)