HELP! Decide Between Three Courses (1 Viewer)

tashe

HSC
N/A
Okay.

After consideration, and consideration, I have limited my FIRST PREFERENCE down to three two courses.

1. B Science (Advanced) at USYD

2. B Medical Science at USYD

3. B Engineering (Chemical) at UNSW

May BOS members tell me how I can pick my top preference?

I am interested in medical research, at this point, I don't know which area though. Hence, the first 2 options. I am also interested in chemistry and do not mind the field work a chemical engineer undertakes.

Ask me for further information if needed.

Thanks, Tashe.

Last edited:

tashe

HSC
N/A
That doesn't really help. I already used my interest as a criteria to narrow my options down to those three.

Any more help?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Why did you rule out Med Science?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you talked to a chemical engineer to get to know what their occupation is like a bit better? There is some disparities between chemical engineering and chemistry, because chemical engineering will involve design of systems to produce chemicals and monitoring these systems to make sure they are maximum efficiency-i.e. on an industrial level, a pure interest in chemistry can lead to a science degree majoring in chemistry. From what I have gathered from the information you have provided, you seemed to be more interested in the research side of things, I think advanced science at USYD sounds like the best degree for you-particularly if you intend to pursue postgraduate degrees such as honours and PHDs which are essential for pursuing scientific research as a professional career.

Maybe go to the open days for both unis/or phone the unis up to ask more information about both courses and tell them your career aspirations and maybe they can help to clarify things up further and perhaps then you can make an informed choice of what is the most suitable degree for you at this moment in time-you can always change/transfer from your degree if you don't like it. Hope this helps and all my best wishes for you to choose a course that you like the most:)

tashe

HSC
N/A
Why did you rule out Med Science?
This, if you want to do medical research that'd probably the best bet.
Because of this post: http://community.boredofstudies.org...ience-medical-science-316958.html#post6498798

It seems that many people who pursue medical research tends to do B Science (advanced). Should I reconsider B Medical Science?

Have you talked to a chemical engineer to get to know what their occupation is like a bit better? There is some disparities between chemical engineering and chemistry, because chemical engineering will involve design of systems to produce chemicals and monitoring these systems to make sure they are maximum efficiency-i.e. on an industrial level, a pure interest in chemistry can lead to a science degree majoring in chemistry. From what I have gathered from the information you have provided, you seemed to be more interested in the research side of things, I think advanced science at USYD sounds like the best degree for you-particularly if you intend to pursue postgraduate degrees such as honours and PHDs which are essential for pursuing scientific research as a professional career.

Maybe go to the open days for both unis/or phone the unis up to ask more information about both courses and tell them your career aspirations and maybe they can help to clarify things up further and perhaps then you can make an informed choice of what is the most suitable degree for you at this moment in time-you can always change/transfer from your degree if you don't like it. Hope this helps and all my best wishes for you to choose a course that you like the most:)
I haven't talked to a chemical engineer because I don't know any. Yeah, I did do research on what they do industrially i.e. field work. From talking to clients to designing suitable equipment to make products, I don't mind any of that work.

If I still cannot decide, I will go to info day.

Thanks. Btw, what are you planning to study?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone possible to give me more insight?

Last edited:

tashe

HSC
N/A
You're so kind to share your insight as soon as you made an account.

Welcome to BOS! I am kind of new as well. :)

Alkanes

HSC
If you are interested in medical research. Medical science is the way to go. But most if not all of the students who do this course are hoping to do medicine/dentistry. Advanced Science at UNSW is very flexible as you have many free electives to choose from in different faculties. Not too sure about how it works with USYD though. Engineering at UNSW has a high reputation. It is up to you at the end of the day. Try and ask current students or go to the information day at uni which is coming up.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Because of this post: http://community.boredofstudies.org...ience-medical-science-316958.html#post6498798

It seems that many people who pursue medical research tends to do B Science (advanced). Should I reconsider B Medical Science?

I haven't talked to a chemical engineer because I don't know any. Yeah, I did do research on what they do industrially i.e. field work. From talking to clients to designing suitable equipment to make products, I don't mind any of that work.

If I still cannot decide, I will go to info day.

Thanks. Btw, what are you planning to study?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone possible to give me more insight?

Just one thing on Chemical engineering.

The type of jobs varies from monitoring and designing plants or to research (This is actually under the Industrial Chemistry degree).

Once you finish with a plant, you move on to the next job, similar to contracting. Not sure if this happens for research though.

And Chemical Engineering jobs are basically like "What to do with Chemistry" in practice.

tashe

HSC
N/A
Medical science is the way to go. But most if not all of the students who do this course are hoping to do medicine/dentistry. Advanced Science at UNSW is very flexible as you have many free electives to choose from in different faculties.
Just wondering, what do students who study Advance Science hope to do? Research in physics, chemistry..?

Just one thing on Chemical engineering.

The type of jobs varies from monitoring and designing plants or to research (This is actually under the Industrial Chemistry degree).

Once you finish with a plant, you move on to the next job, similar to contracting. Not sure if this happens for research though.

And Chemical Engineering jobs are basically like "What to do with Chemistry" in practice.
Yeah, I watched some videos on Chemical Engineering. One thing I saw that was common between the videos was that all the chemical engineers would say, "When I'm walking around the supermarket and I see a product that I took part in making, I get so excited." That's something I don't mind as well.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
Is the fact that the majority of people studying med science pursuing medicine a turn off? If so, I don't understand how it could be disillusioning.

tashe

HSC
N/A
Is the fact that the majority of people studying med science pursuing medicine a turn off? If so, I don't understand how it could be disillusioning.
Nope, I'm not considering that as a factor. The reason I ruled out Medical Science is because

For a person who wants to do medical research, I would definitely recommend Advance Science as it is more research focused. They offer a good number of research internships as long as you apply and get a suitable supervisor

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You can do honours for B. Med Sci

bangladesh

HSC
If you want medical research, med science is the course for you.

tashe

HSC
N/A
Seems like there's a lot of mixed opinion about whether Med Sci or Adv Sci is the better opinion for medical research.

Are there any people studying B Engineering (Chemical) on BOS?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
chem engineering for that straight dough.

loads of people drop out of med science when they realize its such a research intensive job and your whole life is just conducting research.

wilsondw

HSC
If you want to pursue a career in medical research, it doesn't matter if you do Med Sci or Adv Sci because ultimately you would have to complete your PhD so your undergrad degree shouldn't be that significant. If you like your degree to be more structured then do Med Sci, if you like flexibility then do Adv Sci.I think you should try asking yourself what areas of interest or disciplines do you want to do research in

tashe

HSC
N/A
Thanks wilsondw.

I'm looking at Pathology. What do you think about that?

Also, is there anymore opinion on Chemical Engineering?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)