Help, employer ignoring me? (1 Viewer)

kding214

HSC
Hi all,

I've found a good job at a cafe and at my 'trial' the employer told me that she would like to employ me and that if I were to accept, I would call her to arrange shifts.

Her English is not very good but I came to understand that I would be paid according to performance or how 'quick' I am starting with a trainee casual rate of 10 p.h. (is this illegal?) I am 17 y.o. although she says some staff gain pay rises by the week (which I am a bit dubious of)

So as I know her english is bad, I decided to both call and email (with questions about modern awards applicable, penalty rates, taxpayable etc.) and she has been ignoring me since.

My question is, since she offered me a job and told me to call her, was she turned off by my questions? I figured an employer would appreciate my knowing everything was above board? Or should I dumb it down

I am desperate for a job, please help

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad
I definitely think it should be more than $10/hour.
You should definitely know your rights as an employee. Also prior to starting work you have to sign a contract and all the information should be there (otherwise it's illegal).

If you want to work there, see if you can join a trade union and you can sit safe knowing you've got someone watching your back. Also, she's less likely to rip you off cos a trade union would sue her.

On the other hand, though I've never worked in hospitality, I know that it's definitely really shit pay and they pay minimum wage. You should probably check a government website (Fair work ombudsman I think).

bladeys

HSC
N/A
I only get paid $5 pocket money each week so I get paid 3 cents/hour HOW UNFAIR IS THAT !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)