HELP! Exam on Monday! (1 Viewer)

Manwithaplan

HSC
I have an English exam on Monday.

I think the question for the essay will be,

"They ain't got nothing to look ahead to.. With us it ain't like that. We got a future."

Discuss the above quote in relation to the themes of friendship, loneliness and dreams in Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.

I don't know ow to write the introduction, conclusion or topic sentences. Do I have to repeat the quote in every paragraph?

How's this for intro:

The quote, "..." is explored in Steinbeck's novel through the themes of friendship, loneliness and dreams. These are portrayed through the story's isolated setting, George and Lennie's intimate companionship, the racial discrimination against Crooks, the ignoring of Curley's wife and the seclusion of Candy. The aforementioned themes are further depicted by George and Lennie's unattainable dream, shared by Crooks and Candy, and by Curley's wife's inability to achieve her dream.

Criticism is fine, especially advice on if the structure is correct.

All help immensely appreciated.

Zephyrio

HSC
I am no expert on English but I know a bit.

In your introduction, you haven't really introduced your thesis, your argument because you haven't said how the quote relates to the themes in Steinbeck's novel. You've just stated that "it is explored". If I was doing your task, I would say how the quote relates to the themes of the novel and then I would elaborate on how it does.

But a past HSCer can help you more.

Manwithaplan

HSC
Right, thanks for the help, Zephyrio. How's this?

The quote, "..." demonstrates the loneliness of ranch workers, signifies the importance of frienship and portays the hope that dreams can provide. The aforementioned themes of frienship, loneliness and dreams are explored in Steinbeck's novel thorugh the story's isolates setting, Geroge and Lennie's intimate companionship, the racial discrimination against Crooks, the ignoring of Curley's wife and the seclusion of Candy. They are further depicted by George and Lennie's unattainable dream, shared by Crooks and Candy, and by Curley's wife's inability to achieve her own dream.

Also, do I have to restate the quote in each paragraph's topic sentence?

ccc123

HSC
No, you don't have to repeat the quote in each para- this would be incredibly tedious.

Try not to list as well.

Having not read the book, i can;t give you much criticism, but if i were you i'd write a para on each on the themes and in each para evaluate the quote.

Oh and don't forget about intergrating quotes and techniques :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)