Help: first assignment (1 Viewer)

PopcornPixie

i throw popcorn at u! >:)
HSC
Hey, does anyone know how to cite what a judge says during a drug court observation?

I just called a friend of mine and she said to cite it like:

<i>R v Made-Up-Random-Name</i> comma NSW Drug Court (2005) Unreported

Is this right?

It seems a little vague to me
=\

...and good luck, lainee!

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Yes!....finished. 999 words. All bullshit. I'm so proud of it though.

04er

HSC
Lainee said:
I can't believe I still haven't finished the assignment yet (yes, it's due in less than 22 hours). I had a neat little 975 word essay last night and then I decided that I wanted to change my thesis so... here I am, taking the day off uni, probably missing a shitload of work, to rewrite my assignment. I have to keep reminding myself that this is only 10%. Really not proportional to the amount of time I put into it...
Don't worry Lainee, I also skipped a day of uni yesterday! But that's only because I didn't spend enough time on the assignment during the weekend. Oh well, two deadly boring and monotonous commerce lectures can't hurt... and here I am now, with the assignment due in 3.5 hrs, with 977 words and no footnotes... mercy...

Rorix

HSC
amyc said:
It is by the very virtue of his status that places Judge Dive in the best position to comment on the implications of the Drug Court Program.
Applying the same logic, it is John Howard who is best able to comment on the implications of government policy (or the policy writers whatever, you understand the point). This argument is great. It's going to save a lot of time.

:rolleyes:

I contend that, as a judge, he is able to apply the best possible balance of impartiality, human understanding of the changing needs of society & fairness, and by that, his view is not one of bias, as such, but of informed judgment.
Firstly, simple the status of being a judge does not necessarily mean that he possesses these characteristics, it is only through his actions alone that we can determine his capability in said areas. Rather than go into a complex point of why Judge Dive has inherant bias, I will offer the empirical counterevidence:

If so, why, during his entire address, did I not hear one negative aspect of the Drug Court other than 'it sometimes fails BUT the main system is worse'? Do none exist? Or is it that none were mentioned?

Furthermore, no where during his speech did he explicitly state that drugs are SOLELY responsible for crime. Rather, he addressed other issues of reintegrating the offender back into the community, etc, which to me, indicated his understanding that an offender's "criminal tendencies" may be attributed partially to their social upbringing.
Hey!
Amy!
Hi. I'm Rorix.
Yes, I get that a lot.
No, I won't go out with you.
Shut up for a second and let me talk :(.
You're looking at the tree.
Look through the tree, man. Look through the tree.

I believe the claim of my post was obvious - that Judge Dive believes lifestyle factors are the cause of the crime, there is no individual culpability. To quote, the offenders are 'pathetic souls' and it was 'inevitable' that they would commit crime. Obviously, if something was inevitable, there is no individual culpability.

You will need to clarify this point.
I disagree, the point is quite obvious. You just wanted to deliberatly misinterperate it so as to provide a technical rebuttal.

Do you mean to say that drug use would lead to other forms of crime? Technically speaking, the use of drugs is prohibited under the NSW Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act 1985, and thus, users of illicit substances are deemed to have already committed at least the crime of possessing an illicit substance.
It is quite obvious from the context of the discussion that I am referring to crime linked to drug use, not offences for illegal possession etc. themselves, as you should know.

In relations to your cannibus comment, only in South Australia, Western Australia, the Northern territory and the ACT have the Australian jurisdiction decriminalised the possession and cultivation of small quantities of cannibus.
There is a difference between decriminalisation and legalisation.

amyc

supernerd
HSC
Rorix said:
Applying the same logic, it is John Howard who is best able to comment on the implications of government policy
You have fallaciously applied my logic. I make my claims on the basis that the judiciary is independent of the executive and legislative arms of government and is thus, NOT accountable to the democracy and other political considerations. So while it is plausible for me to argue that Judge Dive is in the best position to produce expert opinion on the Drug Court, to say the same principle applies to the conduct of politicians is another matter, as they are by and large, influenced by political considerations. Was Judge Dive's motivation in promoting the Drug Court so that, as impressionable 1st Year Law students, we could sleep better at night, knowing that the Drug Court will fix all of society's problems? No, I think not.

Firstly, simple the status of being a judge does not necessarily mean that he possesses these characteristics, it is only through his actions alone that we can determine his capability in said areas.
You mistake my line of reasoning as follows: Judge Dive is a Judge; Judges are impartial, etc; Therefore Judge Dive must possess these attributes. Rather, I contend, in undertaking the role of adminstering justice, it is imperative that he initially possessed such characteristics, and that through his experiences in presiding over the Drug Court, his view is of an 'informed' nature of considerable credibility. But really, whether you accept it or not is up to you.

On another note...
Shut up for a second and let me talk :(.
Maybe you should speak up.

You're looking at the tree.
Look through the tree, man. Look through the tree.
Are you stoned?

No, I won't go out with you.
I don't want you.

Rorix

HSC
amyc said:
You have fallaciously applied my logic. I make my claims on the basis that the judiciary is independent of the executive and legislative arms of government and is thus, NOT accountable to the democracy and other political considerations.
Fine. Thus, any judge is most able to comment on the implications of his decision. Simply by virtue of his position. This includes such infamous judges as the "no means yes" judge.

Was Judge Dive's motivation in promoting the Drug Court so that, as impressionable 1st Year Law students, we could sleep better at night, knowing that the Drug Court will fix all of society's problems? No, I think not.
Of course not, but that doesn't mean that what he says is right. Obviously, he considers the Drug Court to be very effective since he is reasonably able to make any modifications he sees appropriate to the program. That doesn't mean he's right.

and that through his experiences in presiding over the Drug Court, his view is of an 'informed' nature of considerable credibility. But really, whether you accept it or not is up to you.
See above counterarguments.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Under your logic amyc, I think quite a few people would be in quite a muddle when it comes to interpreting the decisions of the HCA, where the most experienced judges in the country quite frequently disagree over matters of law.

But this isn't law is it, it's just a heap of self-righteous smegma.

:rolleyes:

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
What did everyone get?

I got 6.5 - thank god I passed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)