Help for CAFS students. (1 Viewer)

dannielle_93

HSC
+1, I got 96 for CAFS. I'm here to help too! :)
hey, im hoping to get around 96 in CAFS aswell and was wondering how you set out your answers in the exam. for example when you had to write an essay did you include an intro or just get straight to the syllabus info?
thanks

kirstyyy1234

HSC
N/A
can anyone help me i'm donig my irp due in 2 days (Big Mistastake) anyways does anyone/know anyone who's parents have had an illness and would be happy to fill out my survey/questionnaire
my question is "the consequences of parental illness on family wellbeing.

Kat92

HSC
can anyone help me i'm donig my irp due in 2 days (Big Mistastake) anyways does anyone/know anyone who's parents have had an illness and would be happy to fill out my survey/questionnaire
my question is "the consequences of parental illness on family wellbeing.
This maybe a little late now but anyway: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=228965 and post the survey at the link mentioned within without wing's post.

smartalec

HSC
i think i can join your team kat92 :) i received 95 in cafs and may also be able to help you guys if you have questions, especially as the exam structure has changed since 2009. pm me or post questions if you guys would like to know anything! <3

answermydream

HSC
If any of you guys who have got Band 6 in CAFS are willing to give/sell me your notes/summaries/sample answers, I would really appreciate it! I'm aiming to a band 6 in CAFS too and would love to have something to mould my own notes/summaries/sample answers around! PLEASE PM me!!

smartalec

HSC
If any of you guys who have got Band 6 in CAFS are willing to give/sell me your notes/summaries/sample answers, I would really appreciate it! I'm aiming to a band 6 in CAFS too and would love to have something to mould my own notes/summaries/sample answers around! PLEASE PM me!!
hey! I received a mark of 95 in CAFS last year. my notes weren't that amazing, I pretty much summarised and remembered the points in this textbook - http://www.thenile.com.au/books/Kim...-and-Family-Studies-HSC-Course/9780070274310/ - it has detail on every point on BOTH (which is hard to find) sides of the syllabus so it is extremely comprehensive. I only used this textbook and received full marks in my mc and short answers and lost a few marks in my essay and a short answer question (12/15 in my essay and 4/6 in my 6 marker) in the elective topic, simply because I ran out of time (I went a bit crazy with the short answers!) so i STRONGLY recommend you purchase this book. We were provided with access to almost every other textbook, but I found this to be far the best. it is quite pricey, but it's something the think about - just remember I pretty much recited on my exam paper everything from that textbook.
hope this helps!

balkaranjeet

HSC
N/A
heey guys im doing my IRP on how "cultural background and ethnicity can influence the emotional and intellectual well being of youth" im finding alot of information but i dont know how start it all out, also i have come up with some ideas of the types of questions that i cud ask in my surevys... tell me if they are worth asking:

-Have you ever been victim of racism/ discrimination ?
Do you feel embarrassed to dress in your cultural dress in public?
Do you think people/students great you differently because of your cultural background?
Do feel embarrassed to express your cultural beliefs
Have you tried to fit into a different cultural society?
How has your cultural beliefs influenced life at school? And do you think it is different to that of your Anglo friends?
Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being from a cultural background? Explain.
Do identify yourself as an Australian or a citizen of another country?
Do you associate with people from other cultures? (always, sometimes, rarely, never)
Do you think today’s youth has become more accepting of cultural diversity?
Which culture do you think is more accepted in our society today (Asian, middle eastern, European)
How has your cultural background influenced your educational development?
How have your parents influenced your studies?
Do your parents want you to live up to their expectations? if so what are their expectations?
Have you ever felt under pressure from your family, in school?

smartalec

HSC
heey guys im doing my IRP on how "cultural background and ethnicity can influence the emotional and intellectual well being of youth" im finding alot of information but i dont know how start it all out, also i have come up with some ideas of the types of questions that i cud ask in my surevys... tell me if they are worth asking:

Do you think people/students great you differently because of your cultural background?
How has your cultural beliefs influenced life at school? And do you think it is different to that of your Anglo friends?
Do you think you are advantaged/disadvantaged by being from a cultural background? Explain.
Do you associate with people from other cultures? (always, sometimes, rarely, never)
Which culture do you think is more accepted in our society today (Asian, middle eastern, European)
Do your parents want you to live up to their expectations? if so what are their expectations?
it will be more beneficial if you post that in the surveys section because obviously you can survey anyone, not just cafs students (which is who this thread is targeted for)

Kat92

HSC

I agree with smartalec. Also sorry if I am going to sound a little abrupt, however perhaps look at different ways of starting the questions instead of "Do you".

Otherwise I believe these questions could yield some interesting responses as you have a mix of likert scale, open and closed.

JuicyJuice

HSC
Hi, I'm currently studying Yr 11 CAFS, and I wrote an essay at school on "Assess the ability of different family structures to fulfill a range of functions."

I would appreciate it if someone could take the time to read it and tell me what they think, suppose the essay was out of 10.

There are nine types of family structures that can be formed within society, and regardless of their size, composition, skills, or ability, they all have specific functions to perform in order to maintain the wellbeing of all their members. The family structures are Nuclear, Blended, Extended, Communal, De-facto, Foster, Adoptive, Sole-Parent, and Childless, and the functions that all family members have the responsibility to perform include physical, economic, social, emotional, cultural, adaptive and moral, spiritual and religious. The ability of each family structure to perform specific functions depending on their skills, age, resources, composition , financial status and other factors.

One specific family structure that might have difficulty performing certain types of functions include a sole-parent family. A sole-parent family is a family that has children but no partner to help with raising their children. A sole-partner must fulfil it's physical functions - of food, clothing, shelter and healthcare with only one income. This can be difficult because many sole-parents may not be able to work due to the fact that they constantly have to look after their children. If they do work, it will most probably be part-time which may not be enough income coming in to provide for their physical needs on a daily basis. However, a sole-parent family still should be able to fulfil physical needs with the help of government assistance and perhaps financial support from the extended family. Economic functions may also be particularly difficult for sole-parents, with less income coming in, they may have more difficulty than other family structures in fulfilling their secondary needs, and they will probably not be able to afford to send their child to a private school due to their expenses. Emotional functions can be performed in this family - and they might be necessary due to large levels of stress placed especially on the sole-parent due to the large amount of responsibilities faced on him/her.

Large families like Communal and Blended families and nuclear families (families that can have 2 or more adults) can easily fulfil a range of functions. With two incomes coming in, affording their physical needs of food, clothing, water and shelter shouldn't be too difficult. Their primary needs won't be difficult to achieve, and secondary needs should be achieved with little difficulty. They should also be able to afford to send their children into university. Emotional functions can be and should be able to be performed with this type of family structure. With changes, families with 2 adults should be able to adapt as they have more resources available to them . In communal families, individuals can share resources and ease the financial and emotional strain on all individuals, therefore fulfilling physical and economic functions can be done easily, maintaining the wellbeing of all. In Blended family, cultural functions to fulfil may be difficult and can cause conflict - if one side of the family has different cultural customs to the other. This is especially also a problem in Communal arrangements too - as maintaining the culture of many different individuals and families is not easy, and can cause conflict. Large families like these only have more people to offer and to get love, support and encouragement from.

Adoptive and Foster Families are those families that may have natural children and children not biologically related. Having extra children or having children come into the family unit may affect the degree to which the family is able to fulfil their functions. It may mean that the parents may have to start working over-time to cover for the extra child, and if they can't - then the physical functions for that particular child/children won't be able to be fulfilled. The family will also have less finances to afford their secondary needs or luxuries if that extra bit of money goes towards caring for the extra child. Also, cultural functions may be difficult to perform if the child adopted or fostered is from another country and has different cultural customs to the family which has adopted them, again causing conflict. Emotional functions may be an important function in this family - if the child fostered or adopted came from an negligent family and has not had their needs met, they may be have to shown love, support and encouragement when in need. This function can be met easily.

Childless families - it may be more easy to fulfil certain functions than if they had children - it may be easier for them to fulfil physical and economic functions as they only have to cover 2 adults. Emotional functions may also be satisfied easily; social functions may also be more easy to perform as they can spend more time together without having to look after any children. Same story for Same-Sex Couples and De-Facto, providing they have no dependants.

Overall, it can be see that the way families fulfil different functions depend on their size, their resources available, their skills, and amount of income that comes in for the family and their composition.

Kat92

HSC
It is certainly a coherent response. I would give it either a 9 or 10. There is a clear introduction defining key terms, you have detailed 4 different family structures with examples, and given a concluding statement into why it is difficult to fulfil different functions.

A few minor things to note:

1. Introduction should be 10% of the essay.

2. Watch the use of contractions.

3. Child-less families paragraph needs a bit more work. Remember SEXE structure (look at your other paragraphs how they begin with a topic sentence expand and give an evaluated example.

4. A conclusion should reiterate and sum up what was mentioned in the (introduction or thesis statement).

Somewhere on the Board of Studies website should be a list of band descriptors outlining what should be put into your response. If my memory serves correctly, I think this question did have band descriptors available so you can gauge what mark you would receive.

Kat92

HSC
hii was wondering does anyone have the Enrichment Day notes?? orr extensive cafs notes 1504149016@.qq.com
thxx millions!
Unfortunately, our school never went to the enrichment days. However, if youandmexo is around on the forums I am sure she would be happy to pass on her notes! :)

smartalec

HSC
Hi, I'm currently studying Yr 11 CAFS, and I wrote an essay at school on "Assess the ability of different family structures to fulfill a range of functions."

I would appreciate it if someone could take the time to read it and tell me what they think, suppose the essay was out of 10.

There are nine types of family structures that can be formed within society, and regardless of their size, composition, skills, or ability, they all have specific functions to perform in order to maintain the wellbeing of all their members. The family structures are Nuclear, Blended, Extended, Communal, De-facto, Foster, Adoptive, Sole-Parent, and Childless, and the functions that all family members have the responsibility to perform include physical, economic, social, emotional, cultural, adaptive and moral, spiritual and religious. The ability of each family structure to perform specific functions depending on their skills, age, resources, composition , financial status and other factors.

One specific family structure that might have difficulty performing certain types of functions include a sole-parent family. A sole-parent family is a family that has children but no partner to help with raising their children. A sole-partner must fulfil it's physical functions - of food, clothing, shelter and healthcare with only one income. This can be difficult because many sole-parents may not be able to work due to the fact that they constantly have to look after their children. If they do work, it will most probably be part-time which may not be enough income coming in to provide for their physical needs on a daily basis. However, a sole-parent family still should be able to fulfil physical needs with the help of government assistance and perhaps financial support from the extended family. Economic functions may also be particularly difficult for sole-parents, with less income coming in, they may have more difficulty than other family structures in fulfilling their secondary needs, and they will probably not be able to afford to send their child to a private school due to their expenses. Emotional functions can be performed in this family - and they might be necessary due to large levels of stress placed especially on the sole-parent due to the large amount of responsibilities faced on him/her.

Large families like Communal and Blended families and nuclear families (families that can have 2 or more adults) can easily fulfil a range of functions. With two incomes coming in, affording their physical needs of food, clothing, water and shelter shouldn't be too difficult. Their primary needs won't be difficult to achieve, and secondary needs should be achieved with little difficulty. They should also be able to afford to send their children into university. Emotional functions can be and should be able to be performed with this type of family structure. With changes, families with 2 adults should be able to adapt as they have more resources available to them . In communal families, individuals can share resources and ease the financial and emotional strain on all individuals, therefore fulfilling physical and economic functions can be done easily, maintaining the wellbeing of all. In Blended family, cultural functions to fulfil may be difficult and can cause conflict - if one side of the family has different cultural customs to the other. This is especially also a problem in Communal arrangements too - as maintaining the culture of many different individuals and families is not easy, and can cause conflict. Large families like these only have more people to offer and to get love, support and encouragement from.

Adoptive and Foster Families are those families that may have natural children and children not biologically related. Having extra children or having children come into the family unit may affect the degree to which the family is able to fulfil their functions. It may mean that the parents may have to start working over-time to cover for the extra child, and if they can't - then the physical functions for that particular child/children won't be able to be fulfilled. The family will also have less finances to afford their secondary needs or luxuries if that extra bit of money goes towards caring for the extra child. Also, cultural functions may be difficult to perform if the child adopted or fostered is from another country and has different cultural customs to the family which has adopted them, again causing conflict. Emotional functions may be an important function in this family - if the child fostered or adopted came from an negligent family and has not had their needs met, they may be have to shown love, support and encouragement when in need. This function can be met easily.

Childless families - it may be more easy to fulfil certain functions than if they had children - it may be easier for them to fulfil physical and economic functions as they only have to cover 2 adults. Emotional functions may also be satisfied easily; social functions may also be more easy to perform as they can spend more time together without having to look after any children. Same story for Same-Sex Couples and De-Facto, providing they have no dependants.

Overall, it can be see that the way families fulfil different functions depend on their size, their resources available, their skills, and amount of income that comes in for the family and their composition.
it is certainly a good response. Your structure is really good. Though, Kat is right, your childless paragraph needs a bit more work.Here are some other tips:
-i would get rid of in your intro about the factors affecting the ability of individuals performing certain functions. While I understand your link, in cafs you need to be super concise and not open any random doors, unless you intend to discuss them and are apart of the question.
-More specific examples would be fantastic. E.G. physical functions, such as food.
-Sometimes you are a bit unclear. E.G. Emotional functions can be performed in this family - and they might be necessary due to large levels of stress placed especially on the sole-parent due to the large amount of responsibilities faced on him/her - is a bit messy. make sure what you are trying to say is clear, your point is valid but could definitely be made clearer.

Overall a really good response! I'm being super fussy but, so don't stress! I mean, I got 96 in CAFS last year, which considering the scaling is pretty good. I received my raw marks and got full marks in everything except my essay i lost a few marks, because I didn't finish it in time. Feel free to ask me any questions in future!

smartalec

HSC
hii was wondering does anyone have the Enrichment Day notes?? orr extensive cafs notes 1504149016@.qq.com
thxx millions!
the enrichment notes are nothing special. I have last years ones lying around, but you can seriously find all the stuff in it in a quality cafs textbook.

JaymeNolan

HSC
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME STUFF FOR CAFS. LIKE LITERALLY ANYTHING!!
i borrowed absolutely everything my friend had for cafs and have misplaced it, so i really need to make it up to her and get her stuff.
Trials are next week. PLEASE SEND ANYTHING TO JAYME.NOLAN@HOTMAIL.COM

Kat92

HSC
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND ME STUFF FOR CAFS. LIKE LITERALLY ANYTHING!!
i borrowed absolutely everything my friend had for cafs and have misplaced it, so i really need to make it up to her and get her stuff.
Trials are next week. PLEASE SEND ANYTHING TO JAYME.NOLAN@HOTMAIL.COM
I have replied to this on your other thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)