help for subject choices (1 Viewer)

MobicPhobic

HSC
Hey guys, I am currently a year 10 and want help on changing my subjects. Previously the subjects that I had picked were
  • Maths Ext 1 + Advanced Math
  • English Advanced
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Ancient History
  • SOR
I want to change to 2 unit math as I really don't enjoy math and want more time for other subjects. I am basically keeping everything the same except switching out SOR and Ext 1 math for either business studies or economics. I know I want to do either one of these but can't decide which one. So which one is better?

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I am currently a year 10 and want help on changing my subjects. Previously the subjects that I had picked were
  • English Advanced
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Ancient History
  • SOR
I want to change to 2 unit math as I really don't enjoy math and want more time for other subjects. I am basically keeping everything the same except switching out SOR and Ext 1 math for either business studies or economics. I know I want to do either one of these but can't decide which one. So which one is better?
Do you feel like you want to do business studies or economics more? If you really can't decide probably economics may be better as it scales better. But in the end it all depends on which course you want to go for uni or which one will feel better to do. It's just meaningless if you choose better-scaled subjects when you don't even feel like you can do well or you don't like. Also, try to see some information about the subjects to see if they really interest you, usually syllabuses and notes from the ones who did it helps (maybe?)

D-BOSS

HSC
N/A
Drop Ancient History and SOR and pick up Eco and Business Stds.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Why should I drop ancient? I really enjoy history especially what ancient covers
Don't drop it, if it's what you enjoy keep it.

As for choosing between business or eco if you find you like them equally and there's nothing else left to influence you then pick eco because it scales much better, but scaling should be a last ditch method to decide between two subjects.

and @D-BOSS don't give advice like that just to favor scaling, he/she is much better off doing something they enjoy.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you looked at the syllabus/notes of Business Studies and Economics?
Consider teacher quality, how your school traditionally performs, and cohort who are considering doing the subject.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
  • English Advanced
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Ancient History
  • SOR
What do you want to do in the future?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you feel like you want to do business studies or economics more? If you really can't decide probably economics may be better as it scales better. But in the end it all depends on which course you want to go for uni or which one will feel better to do. It's just meaningless if you choose better-scaled subjects when you don't even feel like you can do well or you don't like. Also, try to see some information about the subjects to see if they really interest you, usually syllabuses and notes from the ones who did it helps (maybe?)
I mean if your school typically has 50% of the cohort getting band 6s in Business, and the highest mark in Economics was traditionally a band 4, then it might suggest that the student would be better of doing business studies well, and would get a higher ATAR as a result. Scaling is great if you do well in the respective subject, but if you don't do great it is not that helpful.

jimmy.chu232

HSC
  • English Advanced
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Ancient History
  • SOR
Personally I find eco better than business...

Eco honestly combines business studies and a bit of geography (factors that affect employment, eco growth...etc.) ....

Eco is all about writing good essays...not so much remembering numbers and formulas but more so about stats (just the simple ones)

Business feels like common sense...very much like society and culture

vinlatte

HSC
I had both had business and eco, and honestly enjoyed eco more. I started yr 12 with a similar ranking in both subjects but I dropped business.

At first, the business topics are very interesting but towards term 3, it was all about report writing which gets repetitive. The subject is more suited for people who want to be an entrepreneur, business owner or business consultant.

Economics feels like extension business in a way. The subject does involve business since that's part of microeconomics. Economics topics feel more related to real life and current events. I also noticed that the info I learnt in eco, I integrated in business. Such as learning interest rates in economics helped me argue why a company should borrow debt finance in business studies. Even the economy can be an external influence of a business.

Before you start yr 11, you can ask your year advisor to join a class in both eco and business so you can have a better understanding of each subject. The first weeks of yr 11, students are moving around classes trying to see what they like.

You got this! Brilliant luck!

jimmy.chu232

HSC
I had both had business and eco, and honestly enjoyed eco more. I started yr 12 with a similar ranking in both subjects but I dropped business.

At first, the business topics are very interesting but towards term 3, it was all about report writing which gets repetitive. The subject is more suited for people who want to be an entrepreneur, business owner or business consultant.

Economics feels like extension business in a way. The subject does involve business since that's part of microeconomics. Economics topics feel more related to real life and current events. I also noticed that the info I learnt in eco, I integrated in business. Such as learning interest rates in economics helped me argue why a company should borrow debt finance in business studies. Even the economy can be an external influence of a business.

Before you start yr 11, you can ask your year advisor to join a class in both eco and business so you can have a better understanding of each subject. The first weeks of yr 11, students are moving around classes trying to see what they like.

You got this! Brilliant luck!
Very true

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)