HELP! I think I Enrolled wrong. (1 Viewer)

Alkanes

HSC
You can take any electives. You don't need to follow the pathway suggested. If you're worried, you can drop a few commerce subjects and pick up some science ones. Essentially, it does not matter because at the end of the day you will need to complete science courses in the future anyways.

Chill

Alkanes

HSC
But as you're a first year. I do think it's better for you to follow the "preferred" program structure stated on the guideline. It could be "preferred" for reasons such as some science electives not being offered in every semester.

Mud

HSC
Fuaaaah such a relief, Thanks so much Alkanes! So I've only enrolled with 4 Commerce cores for first semester 24UOC's and then can I do: MATS2004 Mechanical Behaviour of Mats (6 UOC), MATS2005 Intro Fluid Flow & Heat Trans (6 UOC), MATS2006 Diffusion and Kinetics (6 UOC), MATS2007 Sustainable Mats Processing (6 UOC) Second semester?

Alkanes

HSC
Yes, providing those 4 courses are taught in semester 2. However your degree is more focused on the science part rather than the commerce. Just putting it out there, in case you do more commerce electives than you have to in the future.

Mud

HSC
Is there anyway I can check if they are available in Semester two? And what would happen if they aren't? Also, Can I drop materials and take up another degree? Do I have to take maths/physics later on? Sorry, for the many questions.

Candidate

HSC
You can check which semester in the handbook. In the blue box it says 'further information: Class Timetable' for each course.

Alkanes

HSC
http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2014/MATS2004.html

Change "MATS2004" to other courses to see.

If they're not available in semester 2, you have no choice but to take other complementary courses for the time being.

You can change degrees, providing you meet the required cut off which is determined by your WAM.

Recommended electives (these courses are not required but are recommended as good complementary courses for this major):
Maths and physics fits into this.

Reactions: Mud

D94

HSC
N/A
Fuaaaah such a relief, Thanks so much Alkanes! So I've only enrolled with 4 Commerce cores for first semester 24UOC's and then can I do: MATS2004 Mechanical Behaviour of Mats (6 UOC), MATS2005 Intro Fluid Flow & Heat Trans (6 UOC), MATS2006 Diffusion and Kinetics (6 UOC), MATS2007 Sustainable Mats Processing (6 UOC) Second semester?
You should really do the Stage I courses (generally, you have to do Stage I before Stage II or III or IV etc.) because they provide a foundation for the level II courses, i.e. MATS2xxx - the 2 indicates it's a level II course.

So you should do the courses like MATH1131/41, PHYS1121/41, ENGG1000, a computing course, your faculty electives etc. Also, your commencing cohort would be doing those subjects as well, and you would probably struggle with those MATS courses if you don't do it in an appropriate order.

Mud

HSC
Can I drop Engineering later on? I think I wouldn't be able to cope with the Mathematics.

D94

HSC
N/A
Can I drop Engineering later on? I think I wouldn't be able to cope with the Mathematics.
You can, but that is through an internal program transfer at the end of this year.

Alkanes

HSC
Yes you can but i wouldn't recommend dropping in engineering if your maths/physics isn't up to scratch.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
You should really do the Stage I courses (generally, you have to do Stage I before Stage II or III or IV etc.) because they provide a foundation for the level II courses, i.e. MATS2xxx - the 2 indicates it's a level II course.

So you should do the courses like MATH1131/41, PHYS1121/41, ENGG1000, a computing course, your faculty electives etc. Also, your commencing cohort would be doing those subjects as well, and you would probably struggle with those MATS courses if you don't do it in an appropriate order.
Yeh this. i've also heard that eng/sci subs are MUCH harder than comm subs. So it's better do to engo subs earlier as you have more time to *understand* it and let it sink in better conceptually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)