Help in a short respone question... (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
My modern history teacher gave the class a question but I'm not sure how to answer it since i can't find information on the matter.

The question is, "What impact did the treaty of Versailles have on democracy in Germany?"

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
Well as you know, The treaty of Versailles was extremely harsh on the Germans, with 3 sides (Britain, France, USA, Exclude Italy because they basically did jack shit, nor did they get what they wanted.) each wanting to make Germany pay, USA had Woodrow wilson, who tried to make fairer terms on the Germans, only so that they wouldn't start up war again. However the French and British each wanted the Germans to be "crippled" so that they would not be a problem for ages to come. But, thats just a recap, if you didn't know this I suggest you go back and study this before, as it leads up to it.

Part of the treaty was to reduce the size of Germany's army to 100,000 men, which was extremely pissed of Germany as they were a militaristic nation. Germany was said to have been responsible for the 'entire' war, and had to pay off all of it, even though civilians in Germany were starving, they still had to do it. Woodrow Wilson (president of US at the time) had 14 points that he had planned to use, for the treaty, but of course it didn't work as it was seen as 'letting the Germans off', Germany felt they had been backstabbed by Wilson, they lost land as well. so in the end everyone was pretty pissed.

After that the Great depression also came, during the 1930's which made things worse yet again. especially for Germany who was still recovering. This gave rise to many left wing parties, which eventually Adolf Hitler managed to play on. The effects that the treaty of Versailles had on democracy in Germany were detrimental, people started rioting etc, all because the civilians were ashamed that the German government were accepting these terms

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)