• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HELP: Is Commerce, Business, etc BORING? (1 Viewer)

Heyy

HSC
Hi everyone.

This is a post aimed at uni students currently studying a degree in the business/commerce faculty. I just wanted to know whether or not business-related degrees (e.g. commerce, actuarial studies, economies) are actually enjoyable to study at uni or if they are indeed just as boring as many people outside the field claim them to be. Which degree is the most mathematics-orientated and which degree in the field requires the most memorisation?

Please help me out by answering my questions and by telling me which degree you study & how much you enjoy that degree. I will be forever grateful.

Thank you!

williamdaft

HSC
I'll say majors: finance and actuarial studies are the most maths-orientated.

I'm interested in this thread since I'm about to do BCom next yr...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Whether it is boring or not depends on person. I'm assuming you're referring to majors/units.

In terms of most mathematically orientated (and therefore most problem solving orientated rather than rote learning) areas:
- Econometrics
- Finance
- Economics
- Actuarial Studies
- Quantitative Risk or Quantitative Business Analysis

The rest, such as Accounting, Business Law, Management etc would require a whole lot of memorisation.

NWO

HSC
boring= most profit= money

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The studies are as interesting as you choose to make them. I personally always found satisfaction in being able to relate theoretical concepts to tangible or known things in the real world which I've experienced such as understanding marketing strategies, why contracts have certain terms, why interest rates move, how big companies structure themselves, etc...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Hi everyone.

This is a post aimed at uni students currently studying a degree in the business/commerce faculty. I just wanted to know whether or not business-related degrees (e.g. commerce, actuarial studies, economies) are actually enjoyable to study at uni or if they are indeed just as boring as many people outside the field claim them to be. Which degree is the most mathematics-orientated and which degree in the field requires the most memorisation?

Please help me out by answering my questions and by telling me which degree you study & how much you enjoy that degree. I will be forever grateful.

Thank you!
So I used to study Commerce, working towards a finance major... and yeah. Some people like it, some people don't.

However, I did come crawling back in some sense as I'm taking an Economics minor in my Arts degree and I'm finding that much more enjoyable.

tashe

HSC
N/A
boring= most profit= money
A "boring" major might not be boring to another person. I say, study what you want and if it turns out to have good prospects, then think of it as a bonus.

Heyy

HSC
Thanks so much guys! You're all incredibly awesome :) I've decided to do combined engo & commerce at unsw. Dunno which majors I'm choosing yet but I'll decide that later.

williamdaft

HSC
Thanks so much guys! You're all incredibly awesome :) I've decided to do combined engo & commerce at unsw. Dunno which majors I'm choosing yet but I'll decide that later.
All the best!!!!

enoilgam

HSC
The rest, such as Accounting, Business Law, Management etc would require a whole lot of memorisation.
Management doesnt require that much memorising - it's more the foundational management subjects which involve rote-learning. A lot of the second and third year units require a lot of critical thinking and creativity, because most of the marks are centred on assignments and projects. In terms of the final exams, some of my HR units required you to memorise arcane information, but the harder, questions used to separate the Ds from the Cs required you to really apply the content.

The final exams for the two pure management units I did were insane. One was a 20 minute presentation where you had to present your own theory of leadership developed from others. People were getting absolutely chewed out by the markers because your theory had to be unique, but you also had to support it with existing literature. The other was a simulation where you had to devise a two year strategy for a business from scratch with the options the lecturer gave you. The lecturer read them out and you basically had 30 seconds - 1 min to select each option and it had to fit your overall strategy. It was easily the hardest exam I ever did in uni or HS and for that exam, you needed to be able to think on your feet. A rote learned knowledge of the textbook would have been useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)