Help me design my dream computer. (1 Viewer)

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
Since last november i've been wanting to build a new desktop computer. I've been doing a bit of research since then as to what i want and how much i am willing to spend.
I will mostly use it for gaming, music and uni work.

My older brother will be helping me build it (he's built several before). He recommends i buy a liquid-cooled case, but i really don't like the look of those cases that come with inbuilt LC Systems and i feel that adding one to an existing case wil just look untidy and will be a real hassle considering myself and my older brother have never put one together before. What do you guys think? Is liquid cooling worth the effort?

The following outlines what i do want from/included as part of my computer:
I have pretty much decided that i want the NZXT Zero case. It's got 8 fans (7x 12cm and 1x 8cm). it apparantly runs pretty quietly but has issues with the top 8cm fan getting in the way of larger PSUs. Plus, it looks pretty awesome.

A large monitor such as the Samsung 206BW or 931BW

I'd like it to be an intel computer with Nvidia 8800 Graphics.
i've been reading on whirlpool and other forums that Intel will be reducing it's chip prices (after the april price drop) come july 22nd. link. i'm willing to wait until then to buy my chip (assuming the rumour is true.) but which chip would you guys recommend?
Below is a table outlining the price changes:

I'd like to be able to watch TV on my monitor and potentially connect up my Wii so i don't have to compete for the main family telly or go out and buy one for my room (considering that my room will lack a great deal of free space once i fit in a computer desk etc.)

In an ideal world i'd also love to include this keyboard and this mouse. However, if the budget does not allow it then i suppose this could be one area i am quite willing to compromise in. (NB: the RRP's on the website are much more expensive than what is found on staticice.)

So, while that all seems like a load of words, what i am basically looking for is advice, recommendations and suggestions from those more experienced in this field than I. I am willing to spend UP TO $4000, but absolutely no more. (less would be awesome, of course :D) i would prefer to spend a little bit more now than have to upgrade my computer in the more near future (i realise upgrades will be inevitable, but a bit of longevity is important)

so please post ur thoughts, questions and suggestions. i have very little idea about the more technical aspects of computer parts such as Mobos and the like.

thanks guys. :shy:

Last edited:

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
I wouldnt go intel. AMD is the way to go.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
What Operating System are you planning to use on the machine?

Intel ftw.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
BIGTYMA said:
I wouldnt go intel. AMD is the way to go.
Thats what i was initially thinking, but with chip prices like those i posted, AMD just isnt competitive.

s-AINT said:
What Operating System are you planning to use on the machine?

Intel ftw.
Probably Windows Vista, only because it's the new thing.

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
well with a 4K budget, u could go with a quad core kentfield processor, that will really look after u in the long run

get as much RAM as u can, i'd say max out your board,

get a RAPTOR HDD (faster spin speed = faster loading) so it loads faster as well as at least one 320gb Seagate SATA II HDDs, they are the best compromise for price and money atm and come with a 5yr warranty

and SLi two decent graphics cards

def spend the money on the power supply, cause if your goin to be building this sorta machine u will need something with 800W power, tagan is a good brand

On the topic of OS, i would prob say stick with XP rather than Vista, cause it is too new, not all the bugs have been ironed out yet, or even discovered

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
The_highwayman said:
would you suggest i have more than one hard drive? say, one for games and one for uni work etc? or is that overkill?
not overkill.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
for gaming, the E6600 looks pretty much on par with the Q6600.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=695&model2=432&chart=166

i was thinking of waiting and getting a quad core, but they dont really seem too impressive and i really want my desktop ready for a LAN which, unfortunately, is a week before the price drops.

there doesnt seem to be anything much better than the 8800's coming out this year, so i reckon they should be a pretty solid future proof purchase.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
dont go liquid cooling. Its really only for those who know what they are doing, you will probably fuck something up or it will be way overkill.

8 fans? lol overkill. I am running 1 case fan, 1 gfx card fan and 1 cpu fan and even that is probably overkill.

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
hey wait for the series 9 geoforce graphics card to come out i heard its going to be good or just buy 8800 GTX Geoforce SLi *drool*

Last edited:

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
theyre expected to be released around christmas i believe. they may have a much better cost:performance but its going to be a long wait.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The_highwayman said:
Are heat sinks a necessity? or are they only used when you start having overheating problems?
I'd say that having a heatsink over any processor produced after 1985 might be a good idea, yes.

eeeman

Banned
HSC
IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! IT CUNTS GET A GF! v

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)