Help me - I'm in a sticky spot.. (1 Viewer)

akrinis

HSC
Year 10 is almost over [3 weeks left] and I DESPERATELY want to take leave and sign out for FULL-TIME work. The School says first they need a letter from parents and employer [to-be in my case] saying I'll be required from so and so date..

1. I'm 16, in NSW and I have my first job interview at Macdonalds on Monday afternoon. I'm sure I'll get the job. Problem is that I think the store closes at 5PM (except on Thursday) because it is inside Westfields. I want to work long shifts, into the night [up to 9pm].

2. I heard Macca's has a policy which restricts under 17's to only TWO SHIFTS per week. That doesn't sound good.

3. I want to apply for other jobs in RETAIL, but first I need to attend my interivew and get the job first. Then, I'll know my availabilty for days off and I can finally apply.

ANY ADVICE WELCOMED!

shoutoutloud

HSC
hey i once worked 5 shifts aweek when i was 15 not animore but good luk btw depending on the maccas they can treated u bad becareful

HSC
I worked at Maccas from when I was 14 up until April this year, when I was 16, and yeah they will give you more than two shifts if you want it. During the last xmas holidays I was doing 8 hour shifts 5 times a week. So yeah don't worry about that. As for what time your store closes, I guess there's nothing you can do except work at a different store?

akrinis

HSC
flyingKangaroo said:
I worked at Maccas from when I was 14 up until April this year, when I was 16, and yeah they will give you more than two shifts if you want it. During the last xmas holidays I was doing 8 hour shifts 5 times a week. So yeah don't worry about that. As for what time your store closes, I guess there's nothing you can do except work at a different store?
I think I'm going to ask for a transfer beginning next year. I tried out for Liverpool Mega Center but I didn't make it, and it's closer to my home as well. But what will the manager think? :uhoh:

It's a problem because since I'm applying for other jobs [all have to be part-time/casual] my work schedules might clash.

Next year I'll be in year 11. If I get another job, I'll have to make extra time after school, and it might mean I'll have to be VERY flexible by working at Macca night shifts, and working at another store all day Saturday, all night Thursday, and after school. :cold:

akrinis

HSC
jirwin said:
Why do you want two jobs while also doing Yr 11?
I'm looking to work two jobs in the long Christmas break, and part-time next year.

I guess, I want to work for the experience and because it gives me something fun to do outside of school. School can be tough, and I've always enjoyed work because it lets me get my mind off things while earning money.

I'm not sure what path I'm going to take in my career, but something along the lines of Retail, Marketing, Business Management, Law, or Biotechnology/Forensics sounds interesting to me. And the more experience I get in Retail, the more I'll be prepared for such a career if my other interests fade before I enter University.

So yes, I realize it's tough being a Full-time student and Part-time worker, but I've always been a persistent and determined person. If need be, I'll even ask for certain agreements from work that will assist me in my studies next year [financial, roster agreements].

tbohlsennswssrg

Greenver_420
HSC
akrinis said:
1. Problem is that I think the store closes at 5PM (except on Thursday) because it is inside Westfields. I want to work long shifts, into the night [up to 9pm].
My brother works @ Chatswood McDonalds and that closes at 8PM and that is inside Chatswood Westfield and also you should wait until you get your school certificate before dropping out of school and pursuing full time work

akrinis

HSC
tbohlsennswssrg said:
My brother works @ Chatswood McDonalds and that closes at 8PM and that is inside Chatswood Westfield and also you should wait until you get your school certificate before dropping out of school and pursuing full time work
I think you didn't read some of my above posts... I never said I wanted to drop out. I said, I wanted to find FULL-TIME work for the School holidays, and work two jobs next year, when I start year 11.

The school says we're allowed to SIGN OUT this year and SIGN IN next year only if we have a good reason, like employment. So, I'll still be allowed back next year.

Plus, because I had an appeal upheld, I don't think I'll be getting my results back until LATE DECEMBER. I'll still attend the graduation of course, on December the 12th. :cake:

Another question I have for everyone here is... Are retail stores STILL hiring casuals or part-timers for Christmas? Tell me I'm not too late. My interview is on Monday, so I'll apply immediately after I know my rostered hours.

Last edited:

jirwin

HSC
Some stores may be hiring. Not all stores undergo the 'Christmas Casual' rush. I know my store hasn't. We've only employed a few people for registers and thats partly because we had two people leave. We've got an extra 4 people I think. I'm not sure about other departments though but I definitely haven't seen that many new people.

You realise your rostered hours won't necessarily be the same each week?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If you must keep attending school, just take limited weekend/casual shifts for the next couple of weeks. They'll happily give you more when your availiability is better. You don't want to be on a full-time contract, you'll lose significant pay compared to a casual. I'm pretty sure maccas wouldn't have any full time employees apart from managers anyway?

Otherwise, if you're not learning anything at school, just don't go. Tell them their rules are bullshit, and just don't show up till next year.

spence

HSC
akrinis said:
2. I heard Macca's has a policy which restricts under 17's to only TWO SHIFTS per week. That doesn't sound good.
I highly doubt any Maccas is like this, at my store its the opposite, if you're young they'll want to give you shifts

Graney said:
I'm pretty sure maccas wouldn't have any full time employees apart from managers anyway?
My store has a few full timers outside of management

akrinis

HSC
melsc said:
Keep in mind you are better to work one job that gives you more shifts as any second job is taxed at a much higher rate, its close to 50%
*gulp* I didn't know that.. I thought I could work two jobs in the Christmas break. One at Maccas and one at some other retailer. I just applied for K-Mart.

If I get the interview for another store after getting the job at Maccas, what should I do?

Melsc, I'm sure I will earn less than $6000 before January 2009. Will I still be taxed? I'm just trying to get my head around this.

Last edited:

spence

HSC
I think what happens is if you have another job you are ineligible for the tax free threshold for the second job. So you will be paying tax on every dollar you earn for that job. Also, what you earn before January is irrelevant, its the end of the financial year (30 June) that's relevant

tbohlsennswssrg

Greenver_420
HSC
See quote Below:

McDonalds Employee Handbook said:
GENERAL ROSTERING POLICIES

It is not McDonald's policy to roster employees for two separate shifts in one day.

You won’t be asked to take a break within 1 hour of starting your shift.

Every crew person will be rostered for an Award minimum shift. (See Award Summary).

Your rostered time to start should equal your clocking on time, unless other agreed arrangements have been made.

When you have completed your work you should only then clock off.

Your pay slip will show the actual clock times, i.e., when you clock on and clock off.

You will be paid for all hours worked including training sessions, crew meetings and communication sessions.

You should only use your clock card or number to clock on and off. You should not use another employee’s card.

No junior person (under 17 years) to be rostered to work more than 8 hours per day.

If you’re a student under 17, you won’t be asked to work after 11pm on a school night (Sun-Thurs)

McDonald's has a No Loitering Policy. Basically, this means we ask that if you are rostered for a shift, you are not to be in the crew room for more than a maximum of 30 minutes either side of your shift. The reasons for this are for your safety, security and the smooth running of the shift. If you are not rostered on, you are only permitted in the restaurant's Customer Areas.

akrinis

HSC
Okay, so at the interview today they asked me questions, like 'what are your hobbies', 'why should I employ you out of other people', 'how will you contribute to macdonalds' and 'describe yourself in three ways'

The last question was.. uggh.. I didn't prepare an answer and ended up looking awkward. I said, 'fun and'.. I can't remember the rest but I should have said, "Positive, Motivated and Determined'

I was so nervous and my mouth was dry. 2nd handshake wasn't firm... I'm a bit disappointed in myself [because it was my first interview and I thought I would have had a much more confident performance]

HSC
akrinis said:
Okay, so at the interview today they asked me questions, like 'what are your hobbies', 'why should I employ you out of other people', 'how will you contribute to macdonalds' and 'describe yourself in three ways'

The last question was.. uggh.. I didn't prepare an answer and ended up looking awkward. I said, 'fun and'.. I can't remember the rest but I should have said, "Positive, Motivated and Determined'

I was so nervous and my mouth was dry. 2nd handshake wasn't firm... I'm a bit disappointed in myself [because it was my first interview and I thought I would have had a much more confident performance]
Don't worry, Maccas hired pretty much anyone. In my interview I basically said, multiple times, that I was going to quit after I got some 'experience' and yeah, the next day I got an email saying I got the job. In regards to tax, it would probably just be best to work lots of shifts at one place rather than going between two. Though the official Maccas rules state that you won't get more than 8 hour days or whatever, if you build up a good relationship with the managers and let them know you need extra cash there's no reason they won't roster you on for long shifts. And if not then just always be on the lookout for shifts that need to filled from people calling in sick etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)