Help me preference my courses! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey BOSers. I'm really starting to think hard about what preferences I should put where, but I'm stuck from Preference 5!

My aim is to eventually get into Postgraduate medicine but I'm not sure which courses I should be putting where. So far I have Medicine in my Top 2, followed by Medical Science at UNSW and USYD but then this is where I have no idea... I'm considering a Bachelor of Science at UNSW and USYD majoring in Anatomy and Physiology (If that's even possible to do a double major) OR UTS Bachelor of Medical Science and Bachelor of Biomedical Science. I was also contemplating UWS Medical Science (Advanced) but It's about 1 1/2 hr travel and I don't know if it'll be worth it?

The reason why I feel I should put the Bachelor of Science degree's first is mainly because of Prestige but I'm not sure if I should be ordering them like that because of that. So please guys, Opinions are needed!!

Thanks!

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
The reason why I feel I should put the Bachelor of Science degree's first is mainly because of Prestige but I'm not sure if I should be ordering them like that because of that. So please guys, Opinions are needed!!

Thanks!
Do you truly want to do medical science or medicine ?

.... You shouldn't choose a course based on prestige . Choose a course based on your personal interested field/industry of choice.

Put the course with the highest atar at the top.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey BOSers. I'm really starting to think hard about what preferences I should put where, but I'm stuck from Preference 5!

My aim is to eventually get into Postgraduate medicine but I'm not sure which courses I should be putting where. So far I have Medicine in my Top 2, followed by Medical Science at UNSW and USYD but then this is where I have no idea... I'm considering a Bachelor of Science at UNSW and USYD majoring in Anatomy and Physiology (If that's even possible to do a double major) OR UTS Bachelor of Medical Science and Bachelor of Biomedical Science. I was also contemplating UWS Medical Science (Advanced) but It's about 1 1/2 hr travel and I don't know if it'll be worth it?

Thanks!
Whereabouts do you live?
Tbh, you want your best shot of getting into med.
As a postgrad your best shot is going to be:
- Go to the uni with the least competition and smash your GPA/WAM
the best place for this is not UNSW and USyd
smart as fuck people go there
and although it does take a lot of work anywhere to get a ~7 GPA, it is nearly impossible at these two places

so go somewhere else

if you want undergrad go to the places with easy entrance schemes
i.e. UNSW or UWS
So, I would go to UWS Advanced Sc at Parra, or UNSW MedSc
Put UNSW MedSc your first preff after med because it fills up after first round

HSC
Whereabouts do you live?
Tbh, you want your best shot of getting into med.
As a postgrad your best shot is going to be:
- Go to the uni with the least competition and smash your GPA/WAM
the best place for this is not UNSW and USyd
smart as fuck people go there
and although it does take a lot of work anywhere to get a ~7 GPA, it is nearly impossible at these two places

so go somewhere else

if you want undergrad go to the places with easy entrance schemes
i.e. UNSW or UWS
So, I would go to UWS Advanced Sc at Parra, or UNSW MedSc
Put UNSW MedSc your first preff after med because it fills up after first round
I live in "The Shire". UNSW Med Science is after UWS Medicine (3rd Pref) so that should cover the first round I hope!

That's another question I was going to raise about GPA. So it IS harder at some uni's then others to get a High GPA/WAM? Should I put down UTS Before I put down Bachelor of Science at UNSW and USYD?

I don't think I want to go to UWS at Parramatta but I would go to UWS Campbelltown and do their Med Sci (Adv) course. Is that more competetive then the Adv Sci course? Only reason I would rather do the Medical Science (adv) because I would find it more interesting then just Adv Sci.. I think? I've never really given UWS much thought but is it a good course, with good people and lecturers etc.? I just really doubt I can get into one of those top 6 places! Is it really worth the travel if I don't end up getting into those top 6 places?

Last edited:
HSC
I recommend going to Campbelltown UWS, not trying to portray offence or anything however the cut off is around low 70s (med sci) and adv is around 90, in most cases the competition will be the least and you'll have your best shot at med, other unis such as usyd and unsw have a very competitive classes, if you're up for the challenge go for it, however if you want to increase your chances try uws :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I live in "The Shire". UNSW Med Science is after UWS Medicine (3rd Pref) so that should cover the first round I hope!

That's another question I was going to raise about GPA. So it IS harder at some uni's then others to get a High GPA/WAM? Should I put down UTS Before I put down Bachelor of Science at UNSW and USYD?

I don't think I want to go to UWS at Parramatta but I would go to UWS Campbelltown and do their Med Sci (Adv) course. Is that more competetive then the Adv Sci course? Only reason I would rather do the Medical Science (adv) because I would find it more interesting then just Adv Sci.. I think? I've never really given UWS much thought but is it a good course, with good people and lecturers etc.? I just really doubt I can get into one of those top 6 places! Is it really worth the travel if I don't end up getting into those top 6 places?
UNSW and UTS probably have similar difficulties, I haven't heard of UTS MedSc being easy, but I have about UNSW.
So I would say either go to UNSW or UWS for MedSc or Advanced Sc, or do an unrelated degree you will get a higher GPA/WAM in at any uni.

Just go wherever is closer tbh.
MedSc(Adv) and Sc(Adv) are pretty much the same at UWS for first year and both have the alternate entry pathway into med. So do either, #yolo
I don't think you've looked at uni in general from what you're saying.
I have a document on my computer that compares all the different MedSc course at different unis, but not between Sc and AdvSc, so I'll add that and upload it ^_^
Sc and MedSc are pretty much the same except in Sc you get more freedom.

UWS top 6 definition is:
Cutoff GPA of 5.5 (very easy at UWS for AdvSc)
Then people that get UMATs high enough to get a regular interview are taken out
This leaves all the "rejects"
Out of these, the top 6 UMAT percentiles are taken and given an interview
Then at interview day everyone is on equal standing so it doesn't matter whether you are GWS or UWS AdvSc or how high your UMAT was, etc.

But, as you're saying, if travel is a constraint then don't do it.
Probs look into degrees that offer ~jobs~ just in case you don't get into med.
OT and Physio are good alternatives, maybe also nursing. I was doing ENgineering.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I recommend going to Campbelltown UWS, not trying to portray offence or anything however the cut off is around low 70s (med sci) and adv is around 90, in most cases the competition will be the least and you'll have your best shot at med, other unis such as usyd and unsw have a very competitive classes, if you're up for the challenge go for it, however if you want to increase your chances try uws :)
You are put up against the entire UNIT cohort though
not just your course
so UNSW MedSc cutoff being 94 and USyd's being 92.10 may make it appear that UNSW is more difficult BUT, overall a higher percentage of HDs and Ds are given out at UNSW AND the competition in MedSc first year at USyd includes 99+ TSP people and 99.95 provisional med entry people.
Along with Science/Law 99.7 people (there are no bonus points for law at USyd, unlike UNSW), and 95+ Advanced Science people.

Look at the units you'll be taking,
look at the courses that these units are needed for,
look at your competition at the different unis (ATAR cutoffs),
and then pick which will be the least competitive
if this is what you're interested in

Your answer will be UWS
but this is tending towards a change

HSC
I have a document on my computer that compares all the different MedSc course at different unis, but not between Sc and AdvSc, so I'll add that and upload it ^_^
Ohh yes, Please can you upload this or PM me it!

I get what your saying now, and I'll definetley take those factors into consideration and most likely putting UWS Med Sci(adv) as 4th preference.

Thanks for your help riproot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)