Help needed - marking. (1 Viewer)

xlr8-crillz

HSC
my teacher has just told me that the school gets a certain amount of band 6's every year depending on how the students go. So if a school got say 50 band 6's cause 50 students that did the test got band 6, then only the top 50 students in the school get those band 6's. For instance, if i was coming first in my school in maths and i went poorly in my school cert exam and got a band 1, while a student coming last in the grade got a band 6, would this mean i would take that students band 6.

Its a little confusing and i know it sounds prettty wrong, but im really unsure now cause a teacher actually said that.

Could someone that knows something ^about the stuff above please confirm it.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
xlr8-crillz said:
my teacher has just told me that the school gets a certain amount of band 6's every year depending on how the students go. So if a school got say 50 band 6's cause 50 students that did the test got band 6, then only the top 50 students in the school get those band 6's. For instance, if i was coming first in my school in maths and i went poorly in my school cert exam and got a band 1, while a student coming last in the grade got a band 6, would this mean i would take that students band 6.

Its a little confusing and i know it sounds prettty wrong, but im really unsure now cause a teacher actually said that.

Could someone that knows something ^about the stuff above please confirm it.

There was a system where the students sat a test in August and the school was told, based on that how many As etc it could award in English, Maths and Science.

Now, however, that is not the case.

All schools could theroretically get every student a Band 6, if every student reached that level.

The marking and awarding of bands is the same for both the HSC and SC.

The papers are marked and a selection of the markers are involved in a process called judging or the standards setting team. They decide on the cut-off levels for each of the bands based on each question (I have done this for Modern History and a colleague of mine is doing it this year for the SC). They recommend a mark to the BOS above which every student will get Band 6 regardless of which school that student attends and regardless of the results that the school has awarded - e.g. a few years ago at my school we gave a student Es in most subjects and ranked them last or second last in every subject but in the exams the student got either Band 3 or 4 with about a third of the grade ranked lower on the external exam.

xlr8-crillz

HSC
i understand what u said there but i dunno if u answered my question. like will the top student in the school automatically get the best possible band that the students in the school achieve and likewise for the worst student.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
xlr8-crillz said:
like will the top student in the school automatically get the best possible band that the students in the school achieve and likewise for the worst student.
No. Your own performance in the actual SC exams determine your marks that appear on your SC. Your school performance only determine the grades you receive, which your own school gives you.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
xlr8-crillz said:
i understand what u said there but i dunno if u answered my question. like will the top student in the school automatically get the best possible band that the students in the school achieve and likewise for the worst student.
No - the two marks are`completely separate. A student can get an A from the school and Band 1 on the exam if they do an atrocious exam and vice versa (these are extreme results of course and highly unlikely to happen but in theory they could).

xlr8-crillz

HSC
aww thanks guys, i was sooo feeling like theres no point in studying for it if what my stupid teacher was saying was true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)