help on production of polyethylene (1 Viewer)

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
Part 1 of syllabus says that " outline teh steps in the production of polyethylene as an example of acommercially andindsutrially important polymer"

Is there any difference between commericial and industrial methods to produce polyethylene? :rolleyes:

thanx a lot

Abtari

HSC
when it says steps in the production of...

what are the steps? is it like initiation, propagation, termination or

pressurise ethene to make liquid, add catalyst in a vessel... blabla like that

which is it? i.e. what are the steps

oh and does that mean we have to talk about LDPE and HDPE separately?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
No, we don't have to talk about HDPE and LDPE separately.

By steps, they mean initiation, propagation and termination.

Abtari

HSC
i thought so, considering its not in the silly bus - so no need to know like how they ACTUALLY polymerise ethene...i.e. the industrial equipment, conditions etc?? just the chemistry behind it?

but all my friends have got notes on LDPE and HDPE, and ziegler-natta catalysts and what not... pffft wont be tested :D

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Abtari said:
i thought so, considering its not in the silly bus - so no need to know like how they ACTUALLY polymerise ethene...i.e. the industrial equipment, conditions etc?? just the chemistry behind it?

but all my friends have got notes on LDPE and HDPE, and ziegler-natta catalysts and what not... pffft wont be tested :D
Haha, yeah. I know how HDPE and LDPE are made. We won't need it though.

I don't think you need to know the reaction conditions. Just the chemistry.

Abtari

HSC
k cool.

dreamerish, u seem to be very learned in chemistry. how did u go in ur trials?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Abtari said:
k cool.

dreamerish, u seem to be very learned in chemistry. how did u go in ur trials?
Thank you. :p

I got 90%. Came second in the grade by one point. It's a long and tragic story. I was beaten by a guy who always came first in Chem. I was so determined to make trials the one time he doesn't have the glory of first place and what happened? If I didn't write "technitium-99m" for "identify one use of a radioisotope" I would have had that glory.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Abtari said:
well not relli. you would have been equal first :p
Well, equal glory then. :p

There were like 5 more silly mistakes. Marks I could have easily gained had I bothered checking over. *Sigh*

Haku

Dreamerish*~ said:
Well, equal glory then. :p

There were like 5 more silly mistakes. Marks I could have easily gained had I bothered checking over. *Sigh*
i was reading that and imagining the pages up on pages of answers u write for a question and thought how could u possibly leave anything out. seem like u pour all ur chemical knowledge out on to paper in a 3hr chem exam.

Abtari

HSC
cant relli do that in the hsc... i mean u could but its recommended that u dont exceed the lines too much

more chances of contradicting urself too...and it mite piss off markers too - not answering question etc

personally the lines they give is bs. what about those with massive handwriting?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Abtari said:
cant relli do that in the hsc... i mean u could but its recommended that u dont exceed the lines too much

more chances of contradicting urself too...and it mite piss off markers too - not answering question etc

personally the lines they give is bs. what about those with massive handwriting?
You are not recommended against writing in extra booklets. They are available for a reason.

Well, you'd be careful enough to not contradict yourself. Usually I have a lot to say.

Pissing markers off? That's just silly. They look to give you as many marks as they can, so the more you write, the more chance you have of scoring higher, unless you contradict yourself. If you can't make sure to be concise and correct every time, it's best to write lengthy responses. If you have the time, why not?

Abtari

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
You are not recommended against writing in extra booklets. They are available for a reason.
are we talking about the core or the option? :p

ummm yeah but still.. i mean like u could write everything u know about the topic, but then if u start to just write everything because, say, ur not sure wot the marking guidelines are, then some examiners might see the answer as not being consice and to-the-point. They might think that u dont know how to apply ur knowledge specifically to that question, and just "regurgitating" the knowledge u have acquired. feel free to disagree. :D

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
No, we don't have to talk about HDPE and LDPE separately.

By steps, they mean initiation, propagation and termination.
How could we possibly address this dot point without talking about them separately?

They have completely different conditions and the chemistry involved is different as well.

Abtari

HSC
i think she means we don't have to talk about them at all

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Thank you. :p

I got 90%. Came second in the grade by one point. It's a long and tragic story. I was beaten by a guy who always came first in Chem. I was so determined to make trials the one time he doesn't have the glory of first place and what happened? If I didn't write "technitium-99m" for "identify one use of a radioisotope" I would have had that glory.
He's a tough man to beat. You could have much worse people infront of you though :p so be happy in that respect.

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
I teacher Didnt even tell us we had to use Technetium-99m we were using Technetium-99 until one of the randoms in my class pointed it out.
I got 90% in my trial also (CSSA) but that was a nice first by 4 marks

bmc

HSC
Rax said:
I teacher Didnt even tell us we had to use Technetium-99m we were using Technetium-99 until one of the randoms in my class pointed it out.
I got 90% in my trial also (CSSA) but that was a nice first by 4 marks

obviously u didnt get 90% in english nozza. Id prefer to remain anonymous in the future, noz

bmc

HSC
oh and rax beat me by 3 marks and he scabbed on of those along the way. good luck 2 him i guess. Its all irrelevant now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)