help on production of polyethylene (1 Viewer)

N

n a + a l i e

?

huh? why wouldnt you have to know the two separate LDPE and HDPE methods, the initiator , propagation termination method only applies to one either LDPE or HDPE whereas the other uses a catalyst.?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
You do have to know both methods, and LDPE and HDPE. HDPE uses the Ziegler-Natta catalyst. Whereas LDPE uses the 4 stage method.

There are actually 4 types of Polyethylene, but you only need to know 2:

* UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight PE)
* HDPE (high density PE)
* LDPE (low density PE)
* LLDPE (linear low density PE, sometimes referred to as Medium Density PE, MDPE)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
sikeveo said:
You do have to know both methods, and LDPE and HDPE. HDPE uses the Ziegler-Natta catalyst. Whereas LDPE uses the 4 stage method.

There are actually 4 types of Polyethylene, but you only need to know 2:

* UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight PE)
* HDPE (high density PE)
* LDPE (low density PE)
* LLDPE (linear low density PE, sometimes referred to as Medium Density PE, MDPE)
That's an awfully scary way of putting it.

I've never encountered a polymerisation question that required my answer to include anything involving Ziegler-Natta. I would say it's pretty safe to know just the LDPE process (that is, the initiaion-propagation-termination steps), however it is recommended that you learn a little bit extra just in case.

Just to sum up Z-N: the HDPE method is called the Ziegler-Natta process, and the catalyst is titanium (III) chloride and also trialkylaluminium compounds. It operates at relatively low pressures - a few atmospheres, and only around 60°C.

You can disregard all but the middle two of the bullet points. If a year 11 me was reading it, she would be falling off her chair in fright. :p One way to avoid unpleasant surprises involving information you never came across in class is to refer frequently to the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)