help on ros and guil please (1 Viewer)

xxx

Hi, one thing im confused 'bout is: do ros and guil have a choice?

Ros says "We have no control, none at all"
but Guil at the end ponders "there must have been, at the beginning, where we could have said-no"
Thanks, any help would be appreciated

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Of course this is open to interpretations, but heres my view...

Ros and Guil 'have no control, none at all' which is reitterating the
theme of fate and destiny in the the text.
Guil, being the wiser, more intellectually capable of the two
chacacters realises at the end that they could have changed their
destiny at some point. They could have taken the initiative and
directed their own lives for a change. So, when Guil states, "there must
have been a time, at the beginning, where we could have said-
no" he has come to this realisation.

Errrr... hope that makes sense :p

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
i think that the idea that the play is trying to purport is that the characters are given the illusion of choice and Guil is constantly philosophising, trying to appear in control, but in the end there is no choice for them, as the very title of the play sets their destiny.

its all about the existentialism..

jadene

There are 2 main ideas associtated with this.
1) They cannot truly have any choice because they are struck within the plot of Hamlet
2) Fate is predetermined (the tossing of coins...they will always land the same way no ,matter how many times they are tossed)...
Hope it helps

is a roflcopter
HSC
i got a question

when writing about transformation
what broad themes should i talk about?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Newbie
i got a question

when writing about transformation
what broad themes should i talk about?
this is still dependant on your prescribed texts.
however, any transformation essay(or equivalent) should incorporate the ideas of changing values over time, due to changing contexts

is a roflcopter
HSC
my texts are hamlet/ros and guil

the problem im finding is that the really indepth analysis stuff comes from individual appraisals of the texts, which never had transformation in their agenda :(

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
i had that problem as well earlier on in the year
i think the 3 major thems are
1) death: hamlet rails aginst death of his father, wishs for suicide, wonders what dreams may come after death etc, which are thoughts on a grand scale. rosen/guild transforms death to a comical view" it ....might be v.nice" and the nihilistic view of guild" just a man failing to appear"hamlet's philosophical musing on Yoricks skull and the humour on the polonius's death is travestied by ros's musing about the gowth of hair n nails after death, and about being in a coffin
2)meaning/purpose of life
hamlets view is sumed up in one of the speachs to ros/guild, cant remeber the page but its about him losing purpose/meaning to life. at the end of the play he regains that purpose.this is designed for the victorian audience whom believes in order n dystine. stopard, writing in the 60s , has the view that there is no order n distiny to life.
3) appearance vs reality
shakspear is concerned about thing being not as it seems eg ham's madness, queen pretendes to be a grieving mother, ophlia not actually manuplative,
stopard takes this further by qustioning not onlr appearance but reality itself eg. the actors playing out the death of ros/guild in front of their eyes, yet they arent aware of their fate

Last edited:

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
i dont think rosen/guild had a choice, they are contained within the hamlet play, and has no control over tier fate, hence they name "rosen/guild are dead"

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
it's reflective of the existenail paranoia of the 1960s - everyone's running about like losties looking for a meaning in life - and stoppard is essentially pulling them up with ros and guild.
Ros and Guild have no choice - their lives have been predetermined, and they can't make any progress with significant action (eg they try to 'trap' hamlet, and "ros' trousers slide slowly down"). The audience are now faced with a dilemma - are they in the same situation as ros and guild - DO they have a choice in how they live life? or has it all been predetermined since a "beginning" when someone could have said "no"?
hope it's not too rambly..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)