HELP! - PHARMACY - USYD or UNE ? (1 Viewer)

Lordsion

HSC
Hello everybody

I just need some thoughts on this, feel free to comment.

I accepted and enrolled into the Bachelor of Pharmacy at USYD and got accommodation at St Johns on campus College for 2010 at The University of Sydney. HOWEVER I also got offered pharmacy at UNE in Armidale as well with great accommodation. THE CATCH IS THIS - UNE offered me a $6 000 A YEAR scholarship to go there instead of USYD.

The thing is, being a first year course at UNE, I have my doubts on its quality or organization. UNE plans to build a STATE of the ART pharmacy building to be completed for 2013, however in the mean time, pharmacy students must attend normal science lectures with science teachers until they hire proper pharmacy lecturers.

Knowing that the accommodation is $7 000 cheaper at UNE, and that you would receive a $6 000 scholarship AS WELL, what would you decide?

I had a tour of UNE, there isn't much to do AT ALL, however I would have plenty of money to save towards going overseas during my 3 month uni break, and after one or two years, I could transfer to another university.

However I do like the city, and it is an exciting change (considering I already come from a rural area).

ALSO UNE people seem to be heavy drinkers, whereas I don't drink AT ALL. I know it is the same at USYD colleges as well, however with so many other people, it is easy to find someone very similar to you. Also, I have cousins (in their late 20's) who live 10 minutes away from USYD.

THOUGHTS?

Both places have their pros and cons, however I can't seem to see clearly on which would be the best option. Sydney is affordable, but I will have to be very tight. Whereas UNE in Armidale, I can buy whatever I want.

Employment wise, I have a group interview for the Apple Store in Sydney. However I do part management/supervision work at Woolworth's as well. I know the manager at Armidale and I have a guaranteed job there.

:) :D, any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:

danz90

HSC
Personally, if I was in your position I wouldn't choose the UNE degree. It's just been developed, and like you said - there aren't any qualified pharmacy teaching staff etc. Whereas USyd has a very high quality Pharmacy program in terms of teaching and delivery. With USyd, you'll end up graduating with a degree that is more respected. The money side of things may be look fancy and tempting now, but in several years down the track when it balls down to your career decisions - it wouldn't have seemed important.

In the end it's really up to you and what YOU really want.

rx34

HSC
I would take the plunge and go to USyd because you get to experience city life and also meet new people. The 6k a year isn't much and you can move out of college after first year to reduce costs. Good luck hun :)

.deimonic

HSC
Why bother asking such a question on the USYD forum? You're only going to get biased replies :p

University reputation is only important for the first job you get. After that employers look at experience and references.

Personally I'd go with UNE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)