Help - Physics Moving About (1 Viewer)

imoO

HSC
Hey there everybody, I need help in finding some statistics that I can't find ANYWHERE!!!

Or maybe I'm just a bad searcher.

I need to know what

- %age of cars have crumple zones, and

- %age of drivers and passengers that are killed in crashes when not wearing a seat belt

- %age of passenger and drivers that don't wear seat belts,

the two above are in bold because I need both of them. I need to work out the probability of a person dying. i.e if 80% of drivers and passengers are killed not wearing seat belts, and 40% of drivers and passengers don't wear seat belts. This in turn means you are twice as likely to die not wearing a seat belt....correct?

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH IN ADVANCED!!!
imoO

lolokay

HSC
if whether you wear a seat belt doesn't affect any other crash-related variables, then those statistics would suggest that you are 6 times more likely to die whilst not wearing a seat belt.

However, even if you did have those statistics you couldn't make any accurate judgements about how much more likely you would be to die with a seatbelt than without, since whether or a not a person wears a seatbelt would link to other crash related variables, for example they may not obey other laws.

eg "Many unbelted vehicle occupants killed are intoxicated." from http://www.tacsafety.com.au/jsp/content/NavigationController.do?areaID=12&tierID=1&navID=12348A44&navLink=null&pageID=168

According to http://www.jmu.edu/safetyplan/vehicle/generaldriver/safetybelt.shtml about 50% of fatalities would be prevented by wearing a seatbelt.

Last edited:

imoO

HSC
Aerath said:
What about the RTA? =\
Found the seat belts....all I need is the crumple zones....

what percentage of cars have them/dont have them

and also....to determine their effectiveness i.e twice as likely to die without a crumple zone etc...

thanks for the info so far!!

HSC
not too sure... but i think pretty much all cars made after the 80s or 90s have crumple zones.

don't have the actual statistics but crumple zones increasing stopping distance of the vehicle impacted to the passengers. so you can calculate the number of G's experienced comparatively and maybe find how many G's a human can withstand typically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)