Help please with uni preferences! (UTS ur UNSW for Business/Commerce with Cadetship) (1 Viewer)

jared_88

HSC
Re: Help please with uni preferences! (UTS ur UNSW for Business/Commerce with Cadetsh

pmtruong said:
ey jared! good job u got a great uai as well. Im gonna go to the advisory days as well jus incase. Also i think commerce and business r the same except commerce is more theoretical...but in the end it has to be pretty similar as they both fulfil the CA requirements. Konstantine yes my friend carlo is from fort street..yeh bit of a comedian. And cookies carlo didnt take gt either kpmg insted.Look forward 2 ceein all u guys nex yr
Thanks dude you too! Yea I think I'll go to the advisory days too just for peace of mind.

konstantine'

HSC
Re: Help please with uni preferences! (UTS ur UNSW for Business/Commerce with Cadetsh

c0okies said:
LOL OMG PM me COS I KNOW U
Sarah's having a field day lol ...

c0okies

HSC

:confused:

pmtruong

HSC

ive done a complete 360 in regardst to my uni preference now. I was readin through heaps of posts on this topic and came to the conclusion that uts is more practical yet "piss easy" and very easy to ace. UNSW however has better teachers, resources and is internationally as well as domestically recognised as one of the best unis in a number of surveys. It is actually a better course and goes more indepth. Also u have the option of makin ur own timetable at unsw. Furthermore whilst we are studying part time we wood only attend uni twice a week so its not that inconvenient. Also i think i would prefer the more proper uni lifestyle and atmosphere of unsw. The UTS campus is pretty shite and kinda depressin lookin. So in the end its not the fact that i dont wanna "waste" my uai nor that im only goin there merely for prestige but the fact that unsw is a better uni offering a more proper university experience. I also found these extremely relevant articles which swayed me to unsw:

Top Accounting school in Asia-Pacific

15 November 04
The School of Accounting in the Faculty of Commerce and Economics at UNSW has been ranked first in a study of accounting schools in the Asia-Pacific. Based on research performance, the study ranks UNSW as equivalent to Columbia University.
Accounting schools of more than 100 Asia-Pacific universities were ranked in the study, to be published in a forthcoming issue of the Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting. It covers a period of 12 years, from 1991 to 2002, and measures the research productivity in 18 accounting journals as well as a sub-set of five top journals.
The top five universities over this period are UNSW, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Nanyang Technological University, the University of Sydney and City University of Hong Kong. HKUST replaces UNSW as the first ranked university in the period 1997-2002, but UNSW retains the top position overall.
The Dean of the Faculty of Commerce and Economics, Professor Greg Whittred, said: “This outstanding result confirms the Faculty's position as a leading business school in the Asian region. A number of the Faculty's schools have now been ranked as among the top three in Asia.
“It is particularly pleasing to see that the research performance of the leading Asia-Pacific accounting programs compares favourably with our North American counterparts,” Professor Whittred said.
He also congratulated the Head of UNSW's School of Accounting, Professor Wai Fong Chua, and Scientia Professor Ken Trotman who were ranked in the top five most productive authors over the period.
UNSW was recently ranked among the world's top 50 universities by the UK's prestigious Times Higher Education Supplement.
The study's authors are Kam C. Chan, from Western Kentucky University, Carl R. Chen, from the University of Dayton, and Louis T.W. Cheng from Hong Kong Polytechnic University.

UNSW has the best business teaching and research in NSW

20 December 06
The University of New South Wales has been ranked the best business faculty in NSW in the latest Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research rankings.
Professor Alec Cameron, Dean of UNSW's Faculty of Business said: "this result reinforces our leadership position in business education. UNSW's business faculty has been rated the leader in three recent reviews – the Melbourne Institute ranking, the Federal Government's Learning and Teaching Fund, and UNSW's Learning and Teaching Performance Indicators.
"The Melbourne Institute ranking comprises two streams. The first stream is a survey of 543 leading national and overseas scholars who rate the international standing of their discipline at each university. The second stream measures performance according to areas such as student-staff ratios, entrance scores, student feedback, publications and citations, membership of academies, doctoral completions and research grants.
"The Federal Government's Learning and Teaching Fund recently rated UNSW as the top university in Australia for learning and teaching excellence in Business and Law, awarding UNSW $2 million in recognition of this excellence.
"UNSW also recognised our outstanding teaching and learning when we topped the list of all faculties against UNSW's Learning and Teaching Performance Indicators earlier this year.
"These results illustrate the importance we place on setting and achieving high standards for teaching quality, and underline our commitment to enhancing the student experience,” says Professor Cameron.

Hope this helps!

konstantine'

HSC

Yeah I received spam from UNSW saying the Fed Govt named them the best in B Business/Eco. I still prefer UTS though. I mean sure UNSW "may" have better teaching/resources but I think it kind of depends on the person. Some people can go to the best university or whatever, graduate and won't have marketable employment skills. Besides you have PWC, KPMG, whatever big name company managers/ advisors etc coming from both UTS AND UNSW so the dice rolls both ways. You made a good point about UTS's lack of, say, a large physical campus but I figured I'm only going there for a few hours a week, probably be in a few classes so it won't matter to me if I'm on a large plot of land or not. Anyway you get to have the city as your campus! mmmmm. That sounds better than sitting on grass for five hours (I'm allergic to grass anyway haha). My work experience at my CA firm a few weeks ago also made me realise how COMPLETELY tiring full time work is so having a campus in close proximity is a huge bonus for me.

Man *PHEW* pmtruong's post nearly made me second guess my choice. Btw, wouldn't a handful of HDs and Ds look better than a handful of passes or credits?

case88

HSC
thanks for the post, pmtruong, really helped.
i've also heard that UNSW is widely recognised as having a better commerce department (business faculty).
anywayz, hope to see you there!

xxPanDa

HSC
i got one more Question...
does the B commerce
let u become a accountant straight away?
and the B business,wold i have to major in finance to become an accountant

ooo and one more how long is it part time?

konstantine'

HSC

xxPanDa said:
i got one more Question...
does the B commerce
let u become a accountant straight away?
and the B business,wold i have to major in finance to become an accountant

ooo and one more how long is it part time?
If u do B Com at UNSW, with a major in accounting, and assuming you graduate, you then have to go through the CA program run by the ICAA to be a fully qualified chartered accountant. Alternatively you may want a CPA qualification so you would apply through whatever institution provides that (I'm not sure don't know much abt CPAs haha). With the B Business, I'm pretty sure if you want to pursue a career in accounting, then you have to do an accounting major but not necessarily a finance major. Haing said that though, I've heard the finance major compliments the accounting major quite well. Part time takes 6 years. If you can a mix of full and part time, then you may finish it in 3.5/4 years.

This is going to make me sound like the BIGGEST hypocrite but like pmtruong I've decided to go with UNSW. I feel like a wanker lol. A relieved one though haha. I have to go to the advisory day now cause I've never been to UNSW campus before :S.

pmtruong

HSC

Nice to see my post was so convincing and helpful. Konstantine btw woodn employers realise that d's are easier to attain at uts rather than unsw so woodn it cancel out the supposed benefit? Also seein as u have such a high UAI u wood probly do well in either uni. Also doesnt ur cadetship ever involve u purely doin full time study?...for my sandwhich program i do ..which is why i wana attend a proper uni with a physical campus. Are u on a cadetship btw ..if so which company? ill be with deloitte
Yeh ur chnage of preference was pretty unexpected seein as u were pushin uts so much...and u shood feel releived coz u chose a better uni package. I mite see u at uni day btw its a pretty nice, modern campus. Jared what have u decided?

konstantine'

HSC

Hmmm I don't know if employers would know or believe UTS BBus course is easier than BCom cause you know, each to their own. Yeah I'm doing the sandwich program too so I go on full time study in my 2nd year. UNSW does definitely offer a better uni life; I've never been there before but just looking a the pictures ... looks like what a real uni should :D. I'm with Hall Chadwick, not sure if you've heard of it. And yeah you're right I feel so relieved! UNSW was originally my 1 st pref, guess I should have stuck with it. Anyway, maybe I'll see you @ info day and congratz on scoring yourself a cadetship with Deloitte :ninja:

jared_88

HSC

pmtruong said:
Nice to see my post was so convincing and helpful. Konstantine btw woodn employers realise that d's are easier to attain at uts rather than unsw so woodn it cancel out the supposed benefit? Also seein as u have such a high UAI u wood probly do well in either uni. Also doesnt ur cadetship ever involve u purely doin full time study?...for my sandwhich program i do ..which is why i wana attend a proper uni with a physical campus. Are u on a cadetship btw ..if so which company? ill be with deloitte
Yeh ur chnage of preference was pretty unexpected seein as u were pushin uts so much...and u shood feel releived coz u chose a better uni package. I mite see u at uni day btw its a pretty nice, modern campus. Jared what have u decided?
I'm still undecided, I REALLY want to go to UNSW but I know that all the travel may become too much as this is what my typical day would consist of (a work plus uni day):

UNSW:
*Drive to Rooty Hill Station (20 mins in traffic)
*Catch train to Town Hall Station (1 hr - 1 hr 10 mins in traffic)
*Walk to work (5-10 mins)
*Work (8 hrs)
*Walk to Town Hall Station (5-10 mins)
*Catch train to Central Station (5-10 mins)
*Catch bus to UNSW (25-30 mins in traffic)
*Walk to class (5-10 mins)
*Attend classes (2-3 hrs)
*Walk to bus station (5-10 mins)
*Catch bus to Central Station (15-20 mins)
*Catch train to Rooty Hill Station (1 hr)
*Drive home (15 mins)

UTS:
*Drive to Rooty Hill Station (20 mins in traffic)
*Catch train to Town Hall Station (1 hr - 1 hr 10 mins in traffic)
*Walk to work (5-10 mins)
*Work (8 hrs)
*Walk to Town Hall Station (5-10 mins)
*Catch train/Catch bus/Walk to Central Station (5-25 mins depending)
*Walk to class (5-10 mins)
*Attend classes (2-3 hrs)
*Walk to Central Station (5-10 mins)
*Catch train to Rooty Hill Station (1 hr)
*Drive home (20 mins in traffic)

So UNSW would meen an extra 40+ mins travel per day (when I have to attend uni classes as well as handing in assignments and sitting exams)

Lol now you can see why travel and convenience are such a major player in my decision (Damn I hate living out west sometimes :( )

konstantine'

HSC

doesnt the bus ride to UNSW take 15 minutes? i went kensington the other day and it didn't take 25-30 minutes.

jared_88

HSC

Depends what time of the day (it can take a long time in traffic I've heard)

c0okies

HSC

but the buses have their own lanes to unsw?

jared_88

HSC

OK my bad but u get the point that it will be a real B!tch getting there especially since timetables for traisn n buses aren't always perfect :(

pmtruong

HSC

so there are no buses directly from roughly wynyard area to unsw? and is there no/very limited parkin at unsw?

konstantine'

HSC

jared_88 said:
OK my bad but u get the point that it will be a real B!tch getting there especially since timetables for traisn n buses aren't always perfect :(
yeah you're right but buses are more reliable than trains, except when they go on strike. whether you go uts or unsw you're gonna have to take the car/train so i dont think you should let a 20-30 min bus ride affect your decision. besides the unsw buses are usually express aren't they?

c0okies

HSC

pmtruong said:
so there are no buses directly from roughly wynyard area to unsw? and is there no/very limited parkin at unsw?
seremify007 said:
I spent a lot of time tossing up between UNSW and UTS but ultimately chose UNSW because of a few (personal) reasons;

5. Plenty of parking- especially important since I might be driving from clients.
from this post, which should be relevant to you guys:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/462/commerce-business/131144/cadetships-traineeships-uni.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)