Help please with uni preferences! (UTS ur UNSW for Business/Commerce with Cadetship) (1 Viewer)

mattchan

HSC
Re: Help please with uni preferences! (UTS ur UNSW for Business/Commerce with Cadetsh

jared_88 said:
UNSW:
*Drive to Rooty Hill Station (20 mins in traffic)
*Catch train to Town Hall Station (1 hr - 1 hr 10 mins in traffic)
*Walk to work (5-10 mins)
*Work (8 hrs)
*Walk to Town Hall Station (5-10 mins)
*Catch train to Central Station (5-10 mins)
*Catch bus to UNSW (25-30 mins in traffic)
*Walk to class (5-10 mins)
*Attend classes (2-3 hrs)
*Walk to bus station (5-10 mins)
*Catch bus to Central Station (15-20 mins)
*Catch train to Rooty Hill Station (1 hr)
*Drive home (15 mins)
Hey jared,

In peak hour in the morning, when there are UNSW Express buses, it usually takes around 11-20 minutes to get to uni; thats inclusive of traffic. Other times, you would have to take 3XX buses.

And also, if i was in your position, i would pick the uni you would go to regardless of whether or not you had that cadetship. If you choose a uni to suit your cadetship, and you end up leaving, will you regret making that choice?

I guess it really depends on how passionate you are about work and uni. If your a determined person, i dont think an extra 30 minutes of travel on the days you have uni (maybe 2 days?), would make much of a difference. But both are great unis, so just have a punt.

Cheers

Last edited:

Conspirocy

HSC
Re: Help please with uni preferences! (UTS ur UNSW for Business/Commerce with Cadetsh

konstantine' said:
This is going to make me sound like the BIGGEST hypocrite but like pmtruong I've decided to go with UNSW. I feel like a wanker lol. A relieved one though haha. I have to go to the advisory day now cause I've never been to UNSW campus before :S.

sorry too funny.

oi pmtruong --> what division are you in? also when do you start?

think about it an extra 30 mins by two days? so like 1 hour a week for 14 weeks a session thats like 14 hours ---> for a year thats 28 hours. omg u'll have lost a whole day of ur life? for the year.

clearly the best advice was by mattchan, pick where you would go if u didnt have a cadetship or scholarship etc.

but when in doubt unsw is the best =p

Last edited:

pmtruong

HSC

Ey conspiracy! ill be in growth solutions next year..which i think all cadets will be for nex year but whether there is further divisions within that like motor industry services or recovery and insolvency im not sure of yet. Coz it was suppose to be like that until the merge. This will be confirmed when we get our new contracts on jan 25th and start Feb 27th.What division of deloitte r u in ? Do you attend uni with many other cadets?
And Konstantine yes ive heard of Hall CHadwick..i went throo that whole cadetship booklet and saw them at the CA careers fair where i got a cool fold up bag from hall chadwick. And thanks! good job on hall chadwick as well!

pmtruong

HSC
case88 said:
thanks for the post, pmtruong, really helped.
i've also heard that UNSW is widely recognised as having a better commerce department (business faculty).
anywayz, hope to see you there!
yeh it is definately better anyways wat hav u decided to do?

Conspirocy

HSC
im just a lowly vaccy man

ive got 3 weeks to con...cough cough* i mean convince them that they should give me part time work

im at unsw...i met some of the cadets in first year, but honestly after that u dont really see them in the day time for the obvious reason that they are a part time student

nah growth solutions i think will be middle marked advisory at deloitte

i think i finish up on the what -- 24th of feb ---thats going to suck ur going to miss o week at uni!!! u'll be working hahahaha hopefully i will be working too (unlikely)...from what ive seen u dont really meet people outside of ur division that much, maybe different culture at deloitte??

pmtruong

HSC
good luk with that time to suk up a little. also o week for 2007 is 19-23 of feb..musta changed from last year...which is good coz thats tite as if ur employer makes u miss oweek. from what i hear its heaps of fun u meet heaps of ppl and get heaps o free shit. Do any other cadets miss oweek here?

pmtruong

HSC
Its good ur gettin industry experience n e ways so at least u have a leg up on the thousands of others with purely commerce degrees. So nah its pretty good...and arent they pretty hard to get as well coz heaps apply for it? Or are vacies 'below' cadets even...i red of jokes that the grads delegate all the crap to the vaccies? n e ways gl.

Conspirocy

HSC
pmtruong said:
good luk with that time to suk up a little. also o week for 2007 is 19-23 of feb..musta changed from last year...which is good coz thats tite as if ur employer makes u miss oweek. from what i hear its heaps of fun u meet heaps of ppl and get heaps o free shit. Do any other cadets miss oweek here?
hahaha shit i miss o-week, my uni society is going to be pissed off.

nah im pretty confident i'll get a job...somewhere lol

yes grads and the work they give us...no comment

konstantine'

HSC

pmtruong said:
Do any other cadets miss oweek here?
I wanna go O-week but I'll be working so I might pop in for the night events even though I'd just probably ... faint on the lawns and fall dead asleep. Depending on the day program, I'll see if I can convince my manager to let me leave a bit earlier sometime during the week to attend anything interesting lol.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

LOL you get used to the travel times with UNSW... I don't think UTS is as convenient as it sounds though; because it's still a bit of a trek; albeit not as much as UNSW in terms of both getting to the campus and walking between classes/lectures.

konstantine'

HSC

That path leading up to the set of stairs when you first enter UNSW campus grounds is like walking on George Street ... there's just no knowing when it ends :eek:

pmtruong

HSC

hi all i thought id share the timetable that wood allow us to go there once a week. It currently includes qma but we can drop that after we get the concessioon card which will aloow us to have one massive 2-8 tuesday. Most firms allow half a day off...im lett of at 1 oclock for this. So enrol asap be4 spots run out..cya nex yr!
Hi proo enjoyin ur holiday...ill be in asia in 3 days! How dodgy is unsw being with their commerce cutooff...marked up by heaps!

Tuesday
2-4 Acc 1A lecture
Lecture S1 2184 C Open 45/350 Tue 14:00 - 16:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

4-5 Acc tutorial
Tutorial S1 2210 T16C Open 1/25 Tue 16:00 - 17:00 (Wks:2-6,7-14)

5-6 Micro tutorial
Tutorial S1 3278 578 Open 7/21 Tue 17:00 - 18:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

6-8 Micro lecture
Lecture S1 3199 E Open 21/180 Tue 18:00 - 20:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

Thursday
5-6 Quant A tutorial
Tutorial S1 3328 526 Open 2/25 Thu 17:00 - 18:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

6-8 QMA lecture
Lecture S1 3300 C Open 23/200 Thu 18:00 - 20:00 (Wks:1-6,7-14)

If u think this may be too hectic...remember that most lec and tut are availbale on podcast anyways so u cood use the day u save to listen to those insted. Any questions jus message me...before 8pm saturday tho.

jared_88

HSC

Hey ppl just letting u all know that I chose UTS

an1tzz

HSC
hey guys, just a couple of q's in regards to cadetships:

1. is ur UAI considered before you get offered one.. this girl at our skool got one b4 she got her HSC results? :S

2. For Accounting cadetships, do they all require you to go part time, or can you get a mixture of full time study/ part time work and part time study and full time work.. like someone in this thread mentioned.. 3.5/4 years? And if so, who offers those..

3. Generally, how much do cadetships pay towards UNI tuition?

4. and last but not least, do you get paid? Like in regards to wages and that?

Thanks heapss

c0okies

HSC

an1tzz said:
hey guys, just a couple of q's in regards to cadetships:

1. is ur UAI considered before you get offered one.. this girl at our skool got one b4 she got her HSC results? :S

2. For Accounting cadetships, do they all require you to go part time, or can you get a mixture of full time study/ part time work and part time study and full time work.. like someone in this thread mentioned.. 3.5/4 years? And if so, who offers those..

3. Generally, how much do cadetships pay towards UNI tuition?

4. and last but not least, do you get paid? Like in regards to wages and that?

Thanks heapss
1. no; the course/uni you go to may be considered

2. yep mixture of full-time study parttime work then part time study full time work - amount of full-time/part-time study depends on the firm

3. depends; some pay some dont

4. yea, its not voluntary and its also not a co-op scholarship - its a full time job where you're classified as a trainee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)