• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help please (1 Viewer)

Fruitsalad

HSC
Hi all fellow art students

This is my first post :)
I have a question...for my one drawing of my BOW,
I want to incorporate Aboriginal symbols, and dotted lines. You see I want to show Australian culture in my work and so I thought an effective way was by doing this. I'm just wondering, would people, the indigenous people view this as disrespectful? I wouldn't want that..in fact I really admire their work.

Thanks

goosiegoo

HSC
Welcome!

No, i don't think they would. *ponders* I think the fact that you are doing it is good, because its not like you're mocking their culture - you're learning about it, aren't you? I think that would be fine. :D

jazzmuzik

HSC
Fruitsalad said:
Hi all fellow art students

This is my first post :)
I have a question...for my one drawing of my BOW,
I want to incorporate Aboriginal symbols, and dotted lines. You see I want to show Australian culture in my work and so I thought an effective way was by doing this. I'm just wondering, would people, the indigenous people view this as disrespectful? I wouldn't want that..in fact I really admire their work.

Thanks
Um my art teacher was talking about this same thing recently, as he did some work with an aboriginal community a few years ago. The answer is Yes, using traditional aboriginal symbols without being a proper "custodian" i guess, is seen as a little disrespectful. I understand that you dont intend this at all. But you are allowed to incorporate your own aboriginal "inspired" symbols or something that are not historically part of the culture. I'ts the same as the Maori culture who's "Moko" tattoos are made up of traditional shapes and lines (which "map" the heriatge of a person) which is why its seen as disrespectful and "silly" for a western person to be wearing a moko inspired tattoo as it is essentially someone elses personal identity.

I see no reason why you can reference aborigainl symbols in your works, i recommend just do your research into alternative ways of incorporating these symbols. I'm sure there are ways of doing it. (For example their is a style of Maori moko deisgned for western use)

Fruitsalad

HSC
Thanks jazzmuzik and goosiegoo for your
replies :)

I just wanted to hear other views on
the matter. I had been worried about
it lately.. but I think I know what I'll do now
for my artworks.

thanks again ;)

beluga

HSC
N/A
ah. its art. do whatever you like, whatever you need to.
they are dots and lines they have no copyright dont stress...

joez

HSC
hey my teacher spoke about this recently she said its ok and not disrespectful as long as u get permission from ur local aboriginal elders.
good luck :)

Fruitsalad

HSC
Oh I see..

It's interesting to hear the views of other teachers.
Hey, I might use them but I might not...I suppose
I will make the decision later when I have to.

Good luck with all your BOWs guys and gals! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)