Help..UNSW med school Transfer/Apply (Aspiring medical examiner) (1 Viewer)

son5050

HSC
Hi :awesome: ,
I'm currently in Yr 12, and definitely feeling underprepared, I may take a gap year to prepare for the UCAT for entry into UNSW Med depending on my ATAR.
Sorry for all the questions below! Even if you are only able to answer one question, I would appreciate anything !!

1. Is aiming for entry this way harder than trying to apply straight after school?
2. I'm wary of transferring from Med Sci, I know there are only 15 spots and it is even more competitive than normal entry.. this wouldn't be recommended right?
3. Even though last year's LSR was 96.2 that pretty much means u need a crazy ucat score and have wowed the hell out of them at the interview - I take one subjective subject so I'm not sure how the HSC markers will feel about my MW, this may drag my atar down.. should I even bother taking a gap year if my atar doesn't exceed 97.5?.. or please suggest any other score
4. Can I be in first year commerce and apply for the course as a non-standard applicant? How hard is this and do I have to be studying at unsw?
5. I'm aware I should utilise my time volunteering etc during the gap year (which I'm more than happy to do because I enjoy it) - To what extent and how many hours should I aim for? I know it is VERY competitive. It is expected I partake in overseas volunteering etc, I just wanted to know the standard
6. Until January I'll keep thinking about this, I may decide to do commerce/adv studies at USYD because I like commerce too.
*Sigh is this already a doomed fate? Am I just being stubborn? UNSW only invites 450 students for an interview and only half get accepted.. so why would they even pick me?? I don't want to be pessimistic but there are so many discouraging factors :(

Thank you everyone :)

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
Check out medstudentsonline - they have answers to all of the above (and more), as well as detailed admissions information for UNSW as well as other medical schools. They operate in the same forum format as BoS so it should be very user friendly!

son5050

HSC
Check out medstudentsonline - they have answers to all of the above (and more), as well as detailed admissions information for UNSW as well as other medical schools. They operate in the same forum format as BoS so it should be very user friendly!
Thank you !! on that right now :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)